Author Topic: physical mat | reflection intensity question  (Read 6807 times)

2022-02-03, 10:08:43
Reply #30

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
nope. but it is here to stay. imagine the amount of assets built with it in the last decade.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-02-03, 10:18:29
Reply #31

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"why not? legacy mtl is not going anywhere. another option I see is asking devs for additive blend mtl.<"

how you know that? are you official from the corona team or have official infos?
will it work on the chaos cloud, or in vantage/enscape connections etc in future?
how does it go with vray 5 materials (and possible later exchange  back and forth to vray/or overall in CHAOS eco system (vray 5 has kept the full reflection controls)?

i really think it is not correct to take away this controls of a modern material. it should be a tool for artists.
the new material isnt fully physical anyway, as colors you can use, and other % controls etc are there, which arent physical at all (the whole "PBR" thing isnt fully physical at all, which is ok).

overall "jojorender" brought it good to the point
« Last Edit: 2022-02-03, 10:24:23 by Stefan-L »

2022-02-03, 11:51:21
Reply #32

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"why not? legacy mtl is not going anywhere. another option I see is asking devs for additive blend mtl.<"

how you know that? are you official from the corona team or have official infos?
will it work on the chaos cloud, or in vantage/enscape connections etc in future?
how does it go with vray 5 materials (and possible later exchange  back and forth to vray/or overall in CHAOS eco system (vray 5 has kept the full reflection controls)?

i really think it is not correct to take away this controls of a modern material. it should be a tool for artists.
the new material isnt fully physical anyway, as colors you can use, and other % controls etc are there, which arent physical at all (the whole "PBR" thing isnt fully physical at all, which is ok).

overall "jojorender" brought it good to the point

its an educated quess on my part. do you have any solid info about for legacy to be scrapped?

yes. VRay has it all. all the options and all the shaders from additive blend to unreal/unity pbr mtls. but Corona is not VRay. Corona does not need it. different philosophy behind it.

and in the end - can I kindly ask for some pixels to look at? an example of IOR being not sufficient of a control to menage reflections on refractive objects. thank you in advance.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2022-02-03, 12:52:30
Reply #33

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the name "legacy" usually implies that it is planned to be be removed sooner or later.
i also fear the old might not be compatible with the future interchangeability with other Chaos products,
so we might not be able to use the legacy mat with chaos cloud and other future products that might come

anyway i give up here, i said what my believe/need on this subjects is, from 3d artist/user perspective.

i guess time will show if i am the only one needing to control the reflections in this "artistic" way, or if more users might want this:)
until now i have seen Coronas main policy to be very user and artist friendly, i hope this stays so.
« Last Edit: 2022-02-03, 13:08:07 by Stefan-L »

2022-02-03, 17:13:39
Reply #34

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just for giggles, I'll throw this out there. After Effects is loaded with "legacy" effects and features that have updated versions. For many years they have been sitting there. Don't know the policy behind it, but there they are. Who knows.