Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

physical mat | reflection intensity question

<< < (3/7) > >>

Stefan-L:
"IME, lower IOR is defined, "

that does sadly NOT work, as the ior then would be needed to be like 1.07 in my scene case, which doesnt look like glass in its refraction anymore
.i tested that already.

the indigo render cases seem not to have any solution and seem also not covering the low reflective glasses that archiz very often  needs.
it is not only a but the one specific glass but there are many variants. also customers often demand " make the glass a  lot less reflective", where we  as renderer should to be able to suit their wishes.

we need a way to recreate this reflection reduced materials (that are real wordl materials, they still do have a refraction IOR of 1.5-1-6)

i think in reality the glass producers do this with some special coatings, but the corona coating not let me do this complex effects(reduce reflection but keep glass super transparent)

we DO have currently have a value % in the phymat to "dimming effects" already for:
1) base diffuse
2) refraction
3) volume
4) clear coat
5) translucency
6) thin absorbtion

ONLY not for normal reflection, i really ask myself WHY this single  one is missing?
the other % values arent more physical or less than they would be for reflection to all my understanding.
as it would only reduce reflections, the danger of making too bright unrealistic materials isnt the case in such a setting.

this is for every days use a very important thing to keep us artistic control and to mimic some important real world materials, as explained-
for refractive materials lowering IOR is not an option to achiev that wanted effect.

i do love the new material , beside this single missing control, which i truly believe is very important

aler:

--- Quote from: burnin on 2022-01-29, 13:19:38 ---as it appears to me, simply darkening base color could do... Care to provide scene?

--- End quote ---
Then it will not be light Aluminium, but a dark metal. I attach the file, I hope you will show it as it should be?
...and also, if you switch the material from "Non-metal" to "Metal", then even the IOR becomes unavailable. How to regulate?

...to Moderator: maybe this topic should be moved to the "Feature Requests" section?

piotrus3333:

--- Quote from: aler on 2022-01-29, 09:22:54 ---Dear developers, it is strange that you still did not answer in this thread.
Then I will support Stefan again and give an example.
A simple rough metal (for example Aluminium), but its specular is overexposed. It's Clamping, loss of color, and that's bad. And inside the material I do not find options to adjust the specular the way I need it (pic.1).
But I would like the metal to have a soft specular (pic.2). Here in VFB in Tone Mapping I have raised Highlight Compress to 20. However this is not the best way, because everything else has also become pale.
Of course you can do it through Multi-Pass: assign a separate mask for metal, and then from 1 render make 2 saves - the first is normal, the second with a weakening of the overexposed, and then work in Photoshop (pic.3). This is a working method, but it involves additional actions.
Therefore, it would be more convenient if for Specular/Reflection were provided for convenience additional adjustments (Level, Color, Mix Strength...) (pic.4).

--- End quote ---

Highlight compression alone is not a full tone mapping solution. you need to add contrast. preferably with curves.

Stefan-L:
thx, but we do not talk on high light compression or tone mapping;)

it is about simple be able to control (reduce) the reflection,
in special for refractive materials (other than lowering the IOR non-physically)

piotrus3333:
you are trying to create coated/layered material. CoronaPhysicalMtl is simply not what should be used for that purpose. use the legacy and/or layered mtl. CoronaPhysicalMtl is ment for simplyfing creation of basic, physically correct shaders.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version