Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

physical mat | reflection intensity question

(1/7) > >>

Stefan-L:
dear all,

sorry for my maybe obvious question, but the more i work with the new physical materials,
the more i start to lack a direct control on the reflection intensity (other than lowering or raising the ior). 
mostly to lower the reflections a bit as i see in in real world products i need to recreate.

to all my understanding the IOR is MAINLY defining the falloff/fresnel curve of an material, not only the intensity of the reflection, so metals have a very different fall off curve than water which again is different to glass and so on ( as easy seen on https://refractiveindex.info/ ).

but atm i see no other way to tune the reflection intensity in the physical material, other than changing (raising or lowering ) the IOR value.
- do i oversee something important?
- is this really physical correct?
- aren't there materials in reality who have a certain fall of curve , like glass, but different reflection intensities? (lower than pure ior value would indicate p.e.)
- would it maybe be needed, to have an intensity slider i % or a value (ideally with texture slot) for the reflection, at least to lower it at least for artistic reasons i think this is important.

as example: seeing at real world glass products i think also reflection can very different for different products, and i assume they all have an ior of 1.5-1.6, not much lower.
so i feel a physical material still needs some way to set the reflection intensity independent from the fall off curve (ior)

what does the corona team or other users think on that?

maybe a "level" setting like in Volume tab,
or amount with a texture slot, like in refraction tab of the new physical mat would do it?

cheers
Stefan

p.s.: just to make clear i love the new Physical material,and the intention behind it. all i post is only trying to help to improve it:)

ingemar:
I’ve been wondering the same thing, missing a slider in some cases. But I’ve also experimented with micro-imperfections in various channels to lower reflectivity. Is a reflection strength slider perhaps just a cheat to simulate imperfect surfaces?

aler:

--- Quote from: Stefan-L on 2022-01-21, 13:32:22 ---sorry for my maybe obvious question, but the more i work with the new physical materials,
the more i start to lack a direct control on the reflection intensity (other than lowering or raising the ior)...
--- End quote ---
I agree with everything said, because I too feel this limitation.
Physical Material is good, but it seems that the developers have overdone it, too limited the possibilities of users.

Stefan-L:
"Is a reflection strength slider perhaps just a cheat to simulate imperfect surfaces"

+1

burnin:
Refl. Intensity & IOR are basically same thing.

Imperfections are "simulated" using roughness.Which is what makes material surface IRL appear diffused, rough, scratched, less smooth (less glossy) but reflection intensity stays same.

Do you have any specific situation/case in mind?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version