Author Topic: Bump intensity (the new rescaling from [0-1] to [0-100]  (Read 3567 times)

2015-01-23, 17:22:20

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Not sure if this is bug or feature, but if it's feature, I don't find it very consistent. Or maybe this is just something that I am making up, because I am not 100perc. sure.

So all maps are now on scale from 0 to 100, perhaps to keep consistency with Vray or to avoid decimals for comfort of use. Except for bump ?

The bump still seem to work the same, 1 seems like 100perc. and 100....like..I don't know.

Anyone any input on this ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-01-23, 17:47:29
Reply #1

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
0-100 spinners are percentage - the blend between color and map. Bump doesn't blend with anything and is not a percentage.
I hope that explanation is what Ondra meant when he answered exactly the same question of mine :D
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-01-24, 00:04:40
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks Deadclown !

That makes sense, but how is that obvious ? And how is that consistent ? It's extremely strange choice imho.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-01-24, 13:38:41
Reply #3

Kyle

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's strange to me as well I would prefer to see bump from 0_100 just much more intuitive than using decimals

2015-02-18, 12:50:20
Reply #4

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For me anything beyond 1 is too strong anyways so having it in a 0-100 range would be easier to type (and see) than 0.009 for example. The question is if you could go beyond 100, which is probably needed in some cases. If not, keeping it in 0-1 range makes sense indeed.

2015-02-18, 15:08:39
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For me anything beyond 1 is too strong anyways so having it in a 0-100 range would be easier to type (and see) than 0.009 for example. The question is if you could go beyond 100, which is probably needed in some cases. If not, keeping it in 0-1 range makes sense indeed.
One can always increase bump intensity in texmap's output rollout if needed.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-02-18, 15:54:40
Reply #6

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One can always increase bump intensity in texmap's output rollout if needed.

Sure, though I am always trying to avoid this because you easily overlook something that needs 3 click to be visible and the numbers multiply which makes it less intuitive. Also, it's a potential error source if you have to share your files with others.
Imo, the best is one value in one place.

2015-07-02, 19:42:41
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Bump is now much less strong by default, so value 1.0 should be okay-ish in usual situations. There are no plans to use 0-100 scale as the value is not percentage
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)