Author Topic: SME Very Slow on Corona 10  (Read 3628 times)

2023-07-24, 13:04:55
Reply #15

Tanner

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Nazar - I totally didn't forget about this, it's been a hectic week. Today I'll try to reinstall and see if I still have the issues.

2023-07-24, 15:21:17
Reply #16

Tanner

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello @Tanner

would be great if submit a scene anyway, even a "fresh one". Also, recording a video showing slowdowns is a good idea.

Thanks.

Hi Nazar.  I reinstalled 10 and the issues are still there. Even with the viewport (VP) set to standard and all other VP rendering features set to off or basic, and with the viewport set to display colour not texture, the slowdown still exists. I saved the file and a video for your review. Jump to 2:29 for when the slow down starts.
https://tj-viz.fromsmash.com/Corona10-Slow-SME *Link is active for 7 days

Thanks

2023-07-25, 13:22:23
Reply #17

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi all, we are still investigating, but we have one possible solution (or at least a workaround) for "material editor / viewport freezes for a long time when I change any value in the material / texture":
- Hit the [ + ] button in your viewport
- Select "Configure Viewports..."
- Go to "Display Performance" tab
- Lower the 3 resolution values there
We found out that using large values (like 2048 or 4096) causes massive freezes, while lower values (like 1024 or less) should not be causing any issues. You may need to experiment a bit to find the right balance between the viewport quality and performance.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-07-25, 13:53:19
Reply #18

Tanner

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you, Marcin

2023-07-25, 14:57:26
Reply #19

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You're welcome, Tanner! Does it mean that this solves the issue for you?
Even if so, please note that some other users may be having other issues with other solutions. This is not a universal fix. :)

2023-07-25, 16:46:51
Reply #20

Tanner

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It did reduce the stuttering but I ultimately have to downgrade to v9 for a current project. Hopefully a hotfix in the future pulls me back to the latest version.

I do agree with a few others though, if we are using basic/standard viewport quality, the accurate corona material feature should be disabled by default (but perhaps electively enabled in the System Settings tab for Corona Settings) and enabled should the user elect to enable High-Quality Viewport. I know that's a big ask but a checkbox under system settings may be an effective solution.

2023-07-25, 17:14:46
Reply #21

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It did reduce the stuttering but I ultimately have to downgrade to v9 for a current project. Hopefully a hotfix in the future pulls me back to the latest version.

I do agree with a few others though, if we are using basic/standard viewport quality, the accurate corona material feature should be disabled by default (but perhaps electively enabled in the System Settings tab for Corona Settings) and enabled should the user elect to enable High-Quality Viewport. I know that's a big ask but a checkbox under system settings may be an effective solution.

So you are getting different performance in Corona 9 and 10 when doing the same things? Could you please send us a video recording showing what exactly you are doing? It would be best if we manage to reproduce this.
You can submit a new ticket and attach any files here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Update: just saw your previous post :)

2023-07-25, 17:33:29
Reply #22

Tanner

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. The issue - like with others - only arose when you added the feature of applying several maps to one node such as Triplanar or UVWRandomization. And the slowdown only happens when those nodes are applied to a material that is active in the scene. There isn't a stutter if a material hasn't been applied yet. The issues aren't present in any version including 9.3 and older.

And it isn't like my computers aren't up for the task, this has been reproduced on a Dell mobile workstation (i7-8750H, 128GB RAM, Quadro P3200 6GB) and a BOXX workstation with dual Xeon E5-2630v3, 256GB RAM, Quadro M4000 8GB).

2023-08-24, 19:17:36
Reply #23

JoachimArt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • JoachimArt
Is there any updates on this problem. Its nearly impossible now to tweak materials that are using triplanar and such, because every time you move the color slider one step you have to wait a minute.
Nm, chaning resolution in display performance to 1024 helped quite a bit
« Last Edit: 2023-08-24, 19:21:27 by JoachimArt »

2023-08-24, 20:07:36
Reply #24

Tanner

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is there any updates on this problem. Its nearly impossible now to tweak materials that are using triplanar and such, because every time you move the color slider one step you have to wait a minute.

It does help but it doesn't alleviate the issue. There are a number of instances where I need the high-res viewport display. Because it hasn't been addressed by a hotfix yet, I have stayed on 9.3. But the Devs are aware and that's half of the battle.

2023-08-24, 20:09:19
Reply #25

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

Don't be afraid to lower it even more. I have set my display performance settings like this and i have wonderful responsiveness in SME and no observable degradation in viewport textures. Before that i had all three resolutions set to 4096 and work in SME was a nightmare.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-08-24, 20:15:24
Reply #26

Tanner

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting... Maybe I'll have to give it another go once I'm done my current project.

2023-09-22, 14:31:16
Reply #27

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am not sure if it's related, but we have just released a new daily build of Corona 11 with a fix for Triplanar map performance issues. You can find it here:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=40442.msg217142#msg217142

Please test it and share your results with us.

2023-10-05, 16:05:30
Reply #28

Tanner

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am not sure if it's related, but we have just released a new daily build of Corona 11 with a fix for Triplanar map performance issues. You can find it here:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=40442.msg217142#msg217142

Please test it and share your results with us.

Thanks Maru! I finally found an excellent opportunity to reinstall 10 and the timing of this hotfix couldn't be more perfectly well-timed. I will test and post back here if I face any additional issues.

2023-10-05, 16:30:50
Reply #29

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just be sure to install V10 HF2, not a V11 daily build - https://corona-renderer.com/download