Author Topic: Thread ripper 3970x mb toast what can I get today instead?  (Read 759 times)

2023-04-15, 21:31:37

zivmil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys sry for my English. I have a problem.  I work from home with my 3970x and asus xtr40 gaming-e mb, 64 gig ram. Recently 64 ram was a limiting factor so the company that I work for paid for an upgrade to 128 ram. I went to the computer shop to get the ram and the computer shop seller upgraded the bios before installing the 128 kit and than he tells me oops the bios flashing faild the mb stuck at the post screen... sry your therdripper system is from 2019 we don't have a replacement right now. I don't know what to do I am in the middle of a lot of projects.
Dose the 7950x3d with ddr5 can compete against my old 3970x in terms of render speed?
Maybe I can ask the company to buy me a replacement if it's a good enough and the price is right.
I would ask for a new xtr40 mb but I can't seem to find a place that sells them and I only see three ripper pro but it's too expensive... so weird I thought that from 2019 there will be a lot more options for multithreded cpu

2023-04-16, 02:12:18
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
To fix failed bios, if truly another offline flashing doesn't work (that is the one you do by simply pressing flesh button with USB inserted, not through UEFI interface), you can just get this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402287556275

16 dollars, 1 minute operation and everything will work again. But first try the flash operation it's very easy to do:

1) Download and unzip the bios file onto USB drive. Format the USB drive as Fat32 just in case.
2) Insert into USB-slot on back-side of motherboard that is labelled as "BIOS". On Asus TRX40-E it's the first one from left top.
3) Press the "Bios" button right above.

This procedure doesn't require any boot operation. If it fails, buy the USB chip.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-04-16, 02:14:47
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Second thought: After you succeed with flashing bios back, you have to wait a long time when installing new memory. This is called "memory training" and it can take 5 minutes on Threadripper motherboards. It doesn't necessarily mean the boot is stuck.. it just looks like so. Always wait as long as necessary after installing new memory (or each time you try new memory setting, like XMP profile or manual setup).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-04-16, 21:51:06
Reply #3

zivmil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you. I went to the store today and they showed me that on the oled screen on the motherboard  it's says " bios update successfully  " but the board itself is just like a brick and nothing else seem to work.  They will send it to a laboratory with special equipment and I hope they will manage to restore it. If I will get info on what was the cause I gonna update... maybe it can help someone In the future 🤔