Author Topic: Best Render and Noise Settings  (Read 2196 times)

2022-04-07, 22:31:11

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have been spending a while getting the hang of the basic settings, These are the ones I have been using for a while now. (Attached Below) There have been a few questions that have popped up to me...

1. What Noise limit would be best for a final render (Mainly used in architectural renders shown on screens)

2. I have been using 2.0 sharping, is there typically a better amount to use?

3. I have been rendering at 3000x1688. This seams to be rendering quickly for me (Renders taking 20mins to an hour in some cases) This there a better size people would recommend.

I am trying to get a cleaner and sharper image that will improve my workflow!

Any help would be massively appreciated and help alot! 

2022-04-08, 10:23:40
Reply #1

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1) - We personally use 2.5 for final renders.  But do some tests and see what you deem to be an acceptable level of noise and use that.  Maybe you can get away with 3 or 4 and use the denoiser on top?

2) - We tend to do sharpening in post - if at all.

3) - Resolution depends on the how the images are being used.  Is it print at A4 size?  Is it on an 8k display screen in a marketing suite.  Really you should establish this with the client in any initial project kick off meetings.  3000 is to small to be displayed full screen on a 4k monitor for example.  Well it isn't, but it won't be as crisp as it could be.  We tend to render at 5k along the longest edge for final renders, sometimes bigger, say 6k and then downsample back to 5k which is a long winded way of sharpening :)  Sometimes we'll go even bigger if the client plans on cropping into the final images.

A lot of your questions really depend on your own opinion or client requirements.

2022-04-08, 12:57:59
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi,

1. What Noise limit would be best for a final render (Mainly used in architectural renders shown on screens)
- Around 2-3% is usually fine, but it can sometimes differ depending on the exact scene. It may be a good idea to try rendering one frame without any limit, then observe what is the noise level when it looks "good enough" to you, and then continue using this value as the noise limit. Btw, is this really an "architectural render"? :D

2. I have been using 2.0 sharping, is there typically a better amount to use?
- There is no better or worse value here. Use the value that you like, or save to CXR and then do post production in the Corona Image Editor. :)

3. I have been rendering at 3000x1688. This seams to be rendering quickly for me (Renders taking 20mins to an hour in some cases) This there a better size people would recommend.
- The size depends on the use case. Are you planning to print it, show it on the web, upload to facebook...?

I am trying to get a cleaner and sharper image that will improve my workflow!
- The longer time is spent on the rendering, the cleaner (meaning: noise-less) your image is. "Sharper" could mean many different things, but you can try using different image filters in Render Setup > System. For example, "Tent" filter will give you a generally sharper image than the "High quality" filter (however with Tent it will render a bit slower).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-04-08, 18:01:07
Reply #3

Mark00us

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies to the questions! really helps a lot. I will have a test around with the results and report back!

(PS. The image of the space ship was just an example hahaha, But it could be a new design haha)