Author Topic: Bump Map, Filter Blur, Bump Strength, Corona Bitmap  (Read 5261 times)

2019-01-17, 09:34:16

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Confusing subject title I know, because I'm confused.

I'm trying to get a bump map working correctly.  It's a very fine grain pattern.

I'm finding if I leave the strength of the bump at 0.5 for example, I can increase/decrease the effect or how 'aggressive' it is just by adjusting the filter blur value.  So I find myself constantly tweaking bump strength and filter blur to achieve the desired look.  Admittedly the standard bump isn't great and I'm struggling to achieve what I want.  If I make the bump to strong it just scatters the light so much that the whole object just gets brighter.

If I use the Corona Bitmap blur, it seems quite unpredicatable.  I'm finding if I use the Corona Bitmap I have to increase the strength of the bump to get the same effect as not using the Corona Bitmap and a lower strength.

I'm going to render off some examples, but if anyone has a similar experiences or 'best practices' i'd be keen to hear them

2019-01-17, 09:46:55
Reply #1

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've also attached the bump map I'm using
« Last Edit: 2019-01-17, 09:55:46 by dj_buckley »

2019-01-17, 10:07:12
Reply #2

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
First Test.

Bump Strength Remains the same at 1, all I'm adjusting is the Filter Blur inside the Corona Bitmap.

2019-01-17, 10:17:51
Reply #3

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Exhibit B

This time keeping Filter Blur at 0.01 and just adjusting bump strength.  Effectively gives me the reverse pattern

2019-01-17, 10:39:22
Reply #4

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
And now exactly the same two test again but compared with the Standard Bitmap Loader

2019-01-17, 10:41:48
Reply #5

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So I guess my question is which way to go?  Standard or Corona Bitmaps?  Higher Strength Lower Filter Blur? Lower Strength Higher Filter Blur?  Will any of the combos adversely affect render times?

Which one is correct, in terms of how that light scatter is changing as it's wildly different between Standard and Corona Bitmap etc?

2019-01-17, 10:57:09
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Ahhh, bitmap filtering... you got not even close to the bottom of this rabbit hole yet :] Add to the equation cBitmap's filterring interpolation, CoronaBumpConverter node with its own blurring and the fact that filterring stregth depends from surface's distance from the camera and your head will explode. Personally i try not to touch bitmap filterring and leave it at default size. Use bump strength if you can - that is the safer option.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-01-17, 11:04:33
Reply #7

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess so, but more importantly does one have a detrimental effect to rendertime? i.e. does a higher strength, lower blur take longer to sample than a lower strength and higher blur etc

2019-01-17, 11:24:19
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Probably yes, but you have to ask yourself, what's more important - overall look of your shaders or few minutes saved from rendertime?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-01-17, 11:31:28
Reply #9

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-01-18, 18:08:19
Reply #10

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I remember that back in the MR days, Ludvik always suggested setting blur to default lowest value of .01 for all maps.

I've stuck by that since and just adjust bump values.

2019-01-18, 20:37:50
Reply #11

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
keeping always  0.01 will be wrong as it is good for close view renders - more details, but it will be completely wrong looking at distant view as it will looks too matte, also it will be longer to render and may produce noise

here similar discussion https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=22641.0
« Last Edit: 2019-01-18, 20:41:54 by sprayer »

2019-01-19, 18:14:06
Reply #12

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The best solution so far is to leave the blur value at 1 and wait for something like the Pixar's bump to roughness solution to retrieve information loss by filtering.

2019-01-19, 21:16:46
Reply #13

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
keeping always  0.01 will be wrong as it is good for close view renders - more details, but it will be completely wrong looking at distant view as it will looks too matte, also it will be longer to render and may produce noise

here similar discussion https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=22641.0
Never really had any visual/noticeable troubles using this method. I never do animations, so it wasn't a concern. Usually seems like the best approach was also using summed area versus pyramidal, but also to retain some blurring for bump. I rarely use the coronabitmap, so perhaps it's time to do some new testing.

2019-01-20, 02:06:57
Reply #14

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just checked the roadmap and filtering will be improved with V4, really good news! The next release will be freaking awesome!