Author Topic: BEST MONITOR FOR 3DMAX CORONA , PHOTOSHOP  (Read 17691 times)

2017-03-14, 17:27:15

WILL.I.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello
I have a question i hope you guys can  help me , i need to buy a monitor for work I use 3dmax with corona render and photoshop ( windows 7 64bits) , and i have trouble to find the right  monitor ,, only I have less than 500 bucks
I have  asus pb287q and I not happy with that ...
 Thanks

2017-03-14, 21:54:09
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Your current monitor is TN (twisted nematic) display panel (best for gaming because of the rapid refresh rate). What you want is an IPS panel (In-Plane Switching), which are more colour accurate and have wider ideal viewing angles.

Do you need a 2k monitor? If not, maybe something like this.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/LVV48d/asus-monitor-pb278q

2017-03-15, 14:27:18
Reply #2

WILL.I.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
no sure 2k maybe 4k but when I try the icons is so small .. i try to increase the size but still ...
they told me benq 2700 is good but only i need something is very good and  with the colors
.. what you think....about BenQ GW2765HT...

2017-03-15, 14:36:45
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2765ht.htm

That is quite decent display to be honest.

In that budget what you should want: 2560x1440 px, close to full sRGB coverage, 8bit or 8bit+frc (pseudo 10)color depth, and IPS panel ( including IPS sub-types like AHVA from Bend, but not AMVA which is VA type of panel).

Quite good evergreen is http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2715h.htm

The Asus is also pretty good, it should be very close to the Benq, very similar specs and tech (also AHVA type).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-03-15, 15:13:19
Reply #4

WILL.I.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
well what you guy think about my list.

Dell U2715H         
BenQ GW2765HT     
ASUS  pb278q 

if you guys have another monitor
will be great ..
and thanks for you help         

2017-03-17, 00:18:15
Reply #5

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I bought a U2715h a week ago.
I'm just a bit disappointed.
The factory settings are ridiculous. Extremely, unusable, bright. But when turning the brightness down the darks get black.
You can fix this by changing the gamma through software, but the OSD should come with this already.

My second monitor is a $100 asus and never had a problem.

2017-03-17, 21:43:07
Reply #6

WILL.I.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
HI LUPAZ
YOU GET THE ASUS  pb278q   ?
:)

2017-03-19, 11:44:12
Reply #7

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Definately take any factory calibration with a pinch of salt. I have a dell 27inch wide gammut where the factor settings had a strong blue hue and look totally different to when its calibrated with an xrite pro. I dont know how they can say that it is or what they calibrate it to.

My main one at the moment is a 32inch Benq - the one with 100% sRGB but its not wide gammut - which I would avoid. I like this one but I always find it a struggle with monitors in genreral. This has a nice rich contrast but sometimes when I transfer to my second cheap 24inch dell then it looks more washed out - im assuming its because that monitor cant handle the rich darks.

2017-03-20, 14:43:46
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

My main one at the moment is a 32inch Benq - the one with 100% sRGB but its not wide gammut - which I would avoid. I like this one but I always find it a struggle with monitors in genreral. This has a nice rich contrast but sometimes when I transfer to my second cheap 24inch dell then it looks more washed out - im assuming its because that monitor cant handle the rich darks.

Do you have BenQ BL3200PT ?

If so, I would avoid this type of panel for commercial graphic work due to AMVA panel, which is true VA panel with all benefits and drawbacks. The VA contrast is unreal, beautiful esp. for media, but it is very detached to what both low-end (TN) and high end (IPS, PLS, OLED) people see. It's not only that other technologies can't provide true rich blacks (outside of OLED), but VA specifically crushes blacks so what you see is incorrect too.

Regarding factory calibration of Dell monitors, yeah, it got quite worse in recent years, esp. for anything that is not their high-end widegamut ultrasharps. Veronika has two 2715H and they both came weirdly calibrated.

(note for anyone planning to buy Dell or any high-end (widegamut/gb-led backlit) monitor, buy X-Rite iDisplay Pro spectrometer, not ColorMunki, Spyder, or anything else as it would be worthless).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2017-03-20, 16:27:23
Reply #9

Benny

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm using an Acer 38" at the moment and find it really useful. I used to have two monitors next to each other but it caused neck issues to always look either left or right. I then made one of them my main front monitor and had the other one as a side for dialogs etc, which kind of worked. However, the Acer is extreme widescreen so it kind of gives you 1.5 of such a set up but you have your main viewing in the center. I now have a little bit less screen estate but I can use it so much better.

The only thing is that since it is so wide, but about the same height as my previous dual setup, I now feel there is space wasted below and that it would be great to have another couple of inches there, which would basically mean a 40 or 43" screen. The only options seems to be either the Dell 43", which is an IPS but seems to have serious burn-in issues, or the Philips 43", which is a curved VA that may be too glossy and apparently suffers from pixel retention. Still, the Philips may be an interesting option, a 4K monitor with about the same pixel density as a 27-30 monitor.

2017-03-20, 16:33:13
Reply #10

Jann

• Active Users
    • View Profile
(note for anyone planning to buy Dell or any high-end (widegamut/gb-led backlit) monitor, buy X-Rite iDisplay Pro spectrometer, not ColorMunki, Spyder, or anything else as it would be worthless).
Now you got my attention. Why exactly would ColorMunki be worthless? I'm using it with DisplayCal, as the default software didn't play well with one of my monitors.

2017-03-20, 18:49:28
Reply #11

Ironman2015

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This Viewsonic monitor in my opinion would work very well in your environment. It has a very thin bezel for seamless multi-monitor viewing. Has the capability to daisy chain monitors together. Allows you to switch computers with a built-in KVM switcher. Delta E<2 calibration for accurate Photoshop work and the big one, 14-bit 3D that generates a palette of 4.39 trillion colors. You can find them online for under $550us.   

http://www.viewsonic.com/us/vp2771.html

2017-03-21, 13:36:51
Reply #12

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Now you got my attention. Why exactly would ColorMunki be worthless? I'm using it with DisplayCal, as the default software didn't play well with one of my monitors.

Dell is closed system and requires iDisplay Pro as the only device for its hardware calibration. Somehow they just did that : /.You can use other spectrometers ( as opposed to colorimeter ) for software calibrations (with possible loading of custom matrix from Argyll). For general gb-led backlit panels, pure spectrometer is needed and iDisplay Pro is the safest choice overall.

2017-03-21, 13:57:18
Reply #13

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a nec multisync p241w. I think it's a nice monitor.
And you can see it "means business" by how thick it is. They didn't tried to make it extra thin to look nice on the desktop. Because of that it has a good backlight system and better way to cool, so the colors are not influenced by heat.

https://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2013/08/29/1/133_photo_39_big.jpg
http://pc-at-home.gr/image/cache/data/2017-1/used-monitor-nec-multisync-p241w-2-500x500.jpg

It's an IPS with dithering to emulate 10bit. It's higher model MultiSync PA241W has true 10 bit, but "true 10bit" it's only compatible with certain video cards and OS.

but it's not 4k, which I see it as an advantage, since I think very high resolutions just make things small and also put extra strain on the gpu and cpu. Also not sure if you can buy it anymore, I would also like to buy another one. Not sure what's the current model replacement.
I also bought an X-Rite iDisplay Pro a few years ago, but I never even used it, since the sRGB colors came very well calibrated from the factory.

Oh, and it also has 14-bit 3D LUT implemented in hardware, but I'm not sure how to use that, or what's the benefit.

2017-03-21, 14:13:47
Reply #14

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Oh, and it also has 14-bit 3D LUT implemented in hardware, but I'm not sure how to use that, or what's the benefit.

That's for the hardware calibration. It generates 3D LUT stored in your panel, and is seen as ideal panel by your system. Often, you can keep different profiles this way ( I keep 'sRGB' and 'AdobeRGB' profiles ).

I also bought an X-Rite iDisplay Pro a few years ago, but I never even used it, since the sRGB colors came very well calibrated from the factory.

My U3014 came with almost perfect sRGB calibration too (almost ideal aRGB too), but both deprecated in over a year. I became lazy until my girlfriend and brother who have both perfect color vision ( I am colorblind actually :- D ) told me my display is damn green.

Your monitor btw isn't thick because it 'means business' but because it uses CCFL backlight, which is superior to basic white-LED used in most LED-lit panels, but inferior to modern GB-LED, which lets you have both perfect backlight, and super thin bezels ;- ).
NEC is the most superior display maker, but comes with hefty price premium for slightly better feature set and quality control over modern premium Dell and Asus range ( for 1/3th of the price ) when using identical panel (which they all do outside of Samsung).