Chaos Corona for Cinema 4D > [C4D] General Discussion

CRITICAL SPEED ISSUE WITH APPLE M SYSTEMS

<< < (2/21) > >>

TomG:
"the known living-room sample-scene" - is this some very old scene that would have been created in a Corona several versions old? That might point to things that are new, like bucket rendering, 4K cache, etc. so it would be good to know how those "some scenes work as expected, some don't" split out, whether it is older vs. newer scenes. TY for the info!

davetwo:
I'm probably not adding much here  - but for what it's worth it rendered at 7:52 on my M2 MPB/Ventura/64gb (with a couple of other apps running too).  I'm not sure why the ultra speed is so slow in comparison.

Renders in 5:02 on my old threadripper, which has a worse cinebench score than the MBP on paper - but better performance IRL.

The scene does contaiin all legacy materials, plus native c4d compositing tags, which may or may not have some sort of effect. (I dont see why it should TBH).

ASIMO:

--- Quote from: davetwo on 2023-10-20, 09:31:34 ---I'm probably not adding much here  - but for what it's worth it rendered at 7:52 on my M2 MPB/Ventura/64gb (with a couple of other apps running too).  I'm not sure why the ultra speed is so slow in comparison.

Renders in 5:02 on my old threadripper, which has a worse cinebench score than the MBP on paper - but better performance IRL.

The scene does contaiin all legacy materials, plus native c4d compositing tags, which may or may not have some sort of effect. (I dont see why it should TBH).

--- End quote ---

Hello

Thank you for testing. Also very interesting, that your M2 MBP already is 2min faster than my M2 Ultra. That also is very strange.

A

ASIMO:

--- Quote from: TomG on 2023-10-19, 19:07:21 ---"the known living-room sample-scene" - is this some very old scene that would have been created in a Corona several versions old? That might point to things that are new, like bucket rendering, 4K cache, etc. so it would be good to know how those "some scenes work as expected, some don't" split out, whether it is older vs. newer scenes. TY for the info!

--- End quote ---

Hello Tom

Yes the scene I am referring to is known, as it was used frequently to compare speed. It is this scene created in 2014.

https://blog.corona-renderer.com/making-of-corona-sample-c4d-interior/

This scene renders perfectly on my Mac Studio, also having the expected result in comparison to my Intel Mac, which is about 2.2x faster.

Thank you for your investigations

Asimo

frv:
Just tested your scene on my m1 20 core 128gb 2tb system using CR11 (daily build), OS Sonoma and C4D 2024.
See attachment.  11 min 36 seconds.
When I convert all materials to PB it takes slightly longer at 12 min and 3 seconds.

The difference between a 24 core m2 and a 20 core m1 is not worth it to me then.
If I can half render times with a pc for half the money I will no longer bother for a Mac. A dedicated pc with a Mac laptop for general work will be my next set. I have a Mac Studio borrowed for now. Thanks Asimo to bring this under the attention. A new Mac Studio m2 is 6229€ incl. tax. You can get a 24 core i9 PC with a 4090 GPU for about 3800€ incl. tax.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version