Author Topic: Tonemapping - Plz Halp  (Read 115844 times)

2021-01-23, 00:05:49
Reply #390

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Of course, Andrey has no incentive to make Corona look as good as possible. And in all fairness, Fstorm default looks more realistic than Corona default. No discussion about that.

However, improving corona in this particular scenario only takes a few seconds.

setting the saturation to -0.03 as discussed in this thread, gives a very natural and comparable result.

Let's hope the new tonemapping makes this even easier so we don't have to set even 1 parameter.

2021-01-23, 00:30:45
Reply #391

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
lel nice +1

2021-01-25, 15:06:21
Reply #392

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
lol
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-06-12, 22:20:11
Reply #393

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great comparison. Would be nice to see it also with Filmic from latest Vray 5 VFB2.

you can emulate VRay's Filmic Hable defaults with this:
Highlight compress = 999 and lut:
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2021-06-14, 16:57:28
Reply #394

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
aces tone mapper from VRay.
same deal: HC999+lut
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2021-06-14, 17:06:17
Reply #395

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
moar plz +1

2021-06-14, 17:17:50
Reply #396

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
moar plz +1

what else would you like to compare?

btw: as I haven't used Corona for a while - curves in Image Editor are resetting after I add a few points - is it just me or a known thing?
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2021-06-14, 17:21:29
Reply #397

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
btw: as I haven't used Corona for a while - curves in Image Editor are resetting after I add a few points - is it just me or a known thing?

I have not scene this bug before, best to record a short video of the issue and report to Max bug reporting thread

what else would you like to compare?

I'll take literally any LUT that be used in Corona Renderer that might reasonable improve the tonemapping - yes that is vague, but as an artist, maybe there are some LUTs, like the ones you've already shared, that are often reliable / useful / etc.

2021-06-14, 17:35:12
Reply #398

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'll take literally any LUT that be used in Corona Renderer that might reasonable improve the tonemapping - yes that is vague, but as an artist, maybe there are some LUTs, like the ones you've already shared, that are often reliable / useful / etc.

what is there to improve? curve editor looks quite nice for sure, you can resize the window and be as precise as you need I guess.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2021-06-16, 11:24:50
Reply #399

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok. one more lut. although this one is more of a switch.
idea is: linear >> log >> adjust with curves.
make curve editor window bigger so you get nice granular control and see the histogram detail. set your white point, set your black point and just go to town. your own flavour of "filmic" in "seconds".

load the lut file (attached) with Input LUT is in log color space on. (this is basically CineonLog)
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2021-08-28, 00:10:33
Reply #400

maou42

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Martin

Thanks for the LUTs.

I can not find the option to load a LUT as a log...

Mat

2021-08-30, 09:14:09
Reply #401

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hi Martin

Thanks for the LUTs.

I can not find the option to load a LUT as a log...

Mat

Hey!

You should find that option in the Render Settings under the Camera menu :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-10-29, 16:02:40
Reply #402

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
This is getting to the point where not having ACES in Corona will make us stop using it.
We are getting asked by compositors and studios to be workign in this workflow now. So if Corona
is not going to have this in the near future our studio will be forced to move on. Now that could be Vray,
Red Shift or Fstorm. I would say to the corona Devs, do not become like Autodesk where it takes years to get
industry standards into the software.

2021-10-29, 16:58:33
Reply #403

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is getting to the point where not having ACES in Corona will make us stop using it.
We are getting asked by compositors and studios to be workign in this workflow now. So if Corona
is not going to have this in the near future our studio will be forced to move on. Now that could be Vray,
Red Shift or Fstorm. I would say to the corona Devs, do not become like Autodesk where it takes years to get
industry standards into the software.

I didnt think FStorm supported aces? I thought Fstorm was wide gamut (similar to Corona). OCIO would be useful I suppose for plate matching but you can still render 32bit images and composite/tonemap from there. Am I missing something?

2021-10-29, 18:55:55
Reply #404

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
You may be right about FStorm. But when we are working with other pipelines now and the first thing we are asked is are we working in that profile,
we have to move with the industry. Don't get me wrong, Corona is a great render engine, but we have to move with the industry.
I believe that was the logic behind the new corona material. The old shader is great, but now the physical material is now industry standard. I guess what I don't get is the Devs not jumping ahead of the game here? It's not like it is something that is going to go away.