Author Topic: Threadripper Vs. Epyc and their market appearance  (Read 10091 times)

2017-07-23, 09:51:19

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

more and more there come new informations or keep repeating about AMD Threadripper and Epyc aka Naples.
The prices appear in the anticipated range, but what I was wondering (or not, really) how expensice the Threadripper Mainboard might be.
( wccftech:"We are hearing prices close to ASUS PRIME X299 Deluxe which costs $499 US.") Which sound logical, because they can address more the fancy gaming enthusiast and maybe less the "prosumers".(With ugly LED show and fire spitting dragons etc.)  If this price dimension would be a general benchmark there is a much lower benefit by using a well priced Threadripper.
This was the reason why I started comparing the prices e.g. Epyc 7401p with 24 cores >1000€ +Gigabyte MZ31-AR0 (?€) with the Ripper and it really interests me what you guys think?!
Wasn´t Epyc already launched, haven´t seen any resellers neither CPUs nor Mainboards. Was it just a paperlaunch or are they all sold to Facebook?

What are your appreciations about both products and appearance in the market. I think TR will come out around August 10th, but Epyc?
Thanks in advance

2017-07-23, 20:25:24
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
hi,
only thing  I can tell you is that we have not received any yet, and there are no entries in the corona benchmark... https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/?cpu-type=amd&submit=Search

so we will keep waiting ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-07-24, 10:39:08
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
just for future reference, there are some i9 entries already :)
https://corona-renderer.com/benchmark/?cpu-type=i9&submit=Search
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-07-26, 18:38:35
Reply #3

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
with the benchmark search is a good idea, thanks.
I was just thinking about the sense or benefit of buying an Epyc CPU/Board instead of a Threadripper in hope somebody would have known exact prices or had experiences.
Was just wondering if I missed something because nobody is offering the Epyc CPUs + equipment and AMD always talks about CPUs for Datacenters. Therefrom it might have been just for large companies at the beginning... but we will see, thanks.

2017-07-31, 12:14:37
Reply #4

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
AFAIK the Epyc chips were so far released only to few OEM partners (like Supermicro) and not to the general public.

2017-07-31, 12:38:55
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Hi,
with the benchmark search is a good idea, thanks.
I was just thinking about the sense or benefit of buying an Epyc CPU/Board instead of a Threadripper in hope somebody would have known exact prices or had experiences.
Was just wondering if I missed something because nobody is offering the Epyc CPUs + equipment and AMD always talks about CPUs for Datacenters. Therefrom it might have been just for large companies at the beginning... but we will see, thanks.
long story short, nobody has them yet, so there are no statistically significant experiences. That is the early adopters burden to bear...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-08-01, 09:59:03
Reply #6

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Financially its probably not a bad shout looking at the dual cpu option for what I can tell. Looking at the mobos available for threadripper and they are £500 so quite close to a workstation board and the 'lower end' 16 core EPYC is priced quite cheaply. So if your having to buy all the ram and case and psu etc. anyway, the extra cost of the second cpu and cooler is only a small fraction of the cost. Yes its slower clock so probably better for a node but still I would imagine better bang for the buck.

2017-08-01, 15:39:18
Reply #7

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, you are all right, I think the step from 1070€ to 1700€ is not that large + the dual CPU Mainboard. But I catch myself by delaying the purchase since Ryzen came around.
I really hate all those embarrassing gaming-boards and don´t want to be in the gaming enthusiast´s sector, but all local resellers of serversystems just have completely no informations about prices and release dates. They all say:" We can tell you anything about Xeon and Threadrippers, but Epyc, sorry!"
I fear it might have been cool, but epyc comes too late for me. I think I will search for a completely opaque tower chassis to avoid the risk of epylpsy and ignore the nice but unused quad-sly compatibility, they are all offering :-) 

2017-08-09, 18:27:45
Reply #8

Dippndots

• Active Users
  • Alex Fagan Co-Founder at The Faction
    • View Profile
    • The Faction

2017-08-10, 15:45:49
Reply #9

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
And the reviews are out too :)

www.videocardz.com/71804/amd-ryzen-threadripper-review-roundup

Great stuff!
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-08-10, 16:18:19
Reply #10

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Holy cores cow ! That looks great !

2017-08-10, 17:22:32
Reply #11

4b4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm tempted to take the plunge on a 1950X. I'm currently chugging away on a i7 4930 so I'm looking at an almost 3x increase in performance which is pretty hard to ignore.

Anyway else tempted or placed an order?

Any tips on motherboard, RAM, etc.

2017-08-10, 18:22:00
Reply #12

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would wait a bit more, mobos are way too pricey for now

2017-08-11, 01:41:57
Reply #13

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Around 3000 cinebench score at stock speeds and I've seen 3440 score while OC. It might do Corona benchmark just a bit under 1 hour if OC, quite impressive!!  I wish there was a "plain" MOBO with no gaming bs, but then again they will probably target it to workstations and the markup is even higher in that market.

2017-08-11, 08:19:47
Reply #14

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
1920x :D