Author Topic: Round Edges 1.6  (Read 19687 times)

2017-04-25, 09:34:04

build

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.

With the new Version of Corona there seems to be a different in the handling of edges of geometries. Before I could apply the "round edges modifier" to separated objects with the same material. As long as they where connected the edges where never shown. But now this behavior changed. Even when I attach different geometries to one object the former edges still render as outer edges. Inserting new edges to an object still works okay.

Thought there may be a new setting inside the round edges modifier but still looks like the old one. Maybe I am missing something?

Tim

2017-04-25, 11:19:30
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, I don't think that the behavior has changed between Corona 1.6 and 1.5.2. Please see my examples below.
If I don't understand the issue correctly, please explain how to test it better.
You may also need to adjust the settings inside the rounded edges map itself, the ui is the same in 1.6 and 1.5.2 - basically you can tell this map to affect only the same object (other objects intersecting with it will not create rounded corners effect), same material only (objects with other materials will not create the rounded corners effect, but other objects with the same material will), or use exclude list to specify the objects. Screenshot attached.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-04-25, 11:44:24
Reply #2

build

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I rebuild your scene and that works fine. The different between 1.6 and 1.5.2 shows if you put two geometries next to each other. This behavior changed. Now you have an additional edge there which just wasn't in 1.5.2.

Tim

2017-04-26, 06:36:31
Reply #3

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
I rebuild your scene and that works fine. The different between 1.6 and 1.5.2 shows if you put two geometries next to each other. This behavior changed. Now you have an additional edge there which just wasn't in 1.5.2.

Tim

The objects are touching and both have faces on the inside, so it makes sense that it would have edges rounded there. If you rounded the edges with geometry, it would do the same as your seeing. If you don't want an edge down the middle you would remove the faces that are touching.

2017-04-26, 08:39:10
Reply #4

build

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure. I agree that this is logical. But before corona was not just logical, it was smart. It recognized that there are 2 objects sharing the same material, touching each other and therefor didn't add an edge there. Maybe this was a bug in all version before 1.6. But a useful one, in my opinion.

2017-04-26, 16:08:42
Reply #5

Marijan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe this was a bug in all version before 1.6. But a useful one, in my opinion.

I agree with Build. Also old scenes now render differently which is a problem if you need to go back to the old project and make some changes.
Is it maybe possible to make thick box or something so users can choose between different type of round edges behaviour ?

2017-04-26, 19:58:11
Reply #6

phildavis17

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree. Deleting the inner faces at junctions like this is not intuitive, and will add considerable time to our modeling process. It breaks our old scenes, and will add to the work we need to do when a design changes.

This doesn't help me do anything I couldn't do before, requires changes to our workflow, and breaks our old scenes. Sounds like a bug to me.

2017-04-26, 20:04:48
Reply #7

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree that the previous behaviour was a lot more "it just works". Cleaning up CAD data is time consuming as it is and this is a step in the wrong direction.

2017-04-26, 20:22:43
Reply #8

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, I do not agree. I find this behavior more logical and "straight forward" doing as expected. It might mean more dean up in some situations, but in the same time it gives you more possibilities in other situations.

2017-04-26, 21:24:21
Reply #9

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard

Effect includes/excludes.
"Same object only" i would assume gave the edge down the middle, like it is 2 objects and you wanted the edge.
"Same material only" i would assume gave no edge down the middle, like it is 1 object merged together.
^seems like it already is a tick, thats possibly not working right?

2017-04-27, 01:28:45
Reply #10

Marijan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is what I'm getting.
Not sure anymore is it a bug, feature or am I doing something wrong :)

2017-04-27, 14:13:24
Reply #11

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
It works in the same way as if you put actual physical chamfer modifier on top of it. If you did that to your current setup, you would need to attach and connect those meshes too.

2017-04-27, 14:30:26
Reply #12

build

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't think that this is actually the point anymore. It is not about why it is like this. It is about what is useful and what not. As other mentioned before, the new behavior of the edge modifier breaks older scences. Also it requires additional modelling / cleaning work.
For me the old behavior was just right. I never had any problems with my modelling workflow or rendering. Now I have to spend additional time to check the model, clean it or render again, if an inner face was overseen. Corona Renderer is about simplicity and speed. But the new handling of edges is not. An additional checkbox like "exclude inner faces" or something like this would be welcome. Then everybody could use it or leave it as he/she wishes.

2017-04-27, 14:33:40
Reply #13

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
I vote for the old method, More simple, you dont need to enter the round edges map to select the mode that will work here..

2017-04-27, 19:15:13
Reply #14

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It works in the same way as if you put actual physical chamfer modifier on top of it. If you did that to your current setup, you would need to attach and connect those meshes too.

It doesn't though, if you see the examples posted by maru, 2 different objects create a round corner where they meet, this is not how a chamfer modifier would work, but it is incredibly helpful.

In that case, Corona is smart enough to recognize that the 2 objects have the same material and are intersecting, so it assumes they are the same object.

I think the same assumption can be made for 2 objects with the same material that have absolutely no gap between them, or even 2 objects that intersect but share a face. 

I think this image shows that this is indeed a bug, look at the 4th and 5th examples, if Corona is treating the 6th example as a single object, it should do the same with all of the others IMO.

Also notice what happens when I add the chamfer modifier to the second image, the images don't match.

If you are used to modeling in Polygons, this is not an issue, as you have absolute control and you probably wouldn't build your scene like that, but working with CAD data is very different and this "bug" is a problem for imported geometry.

« Last Edit: 2017-04-27, 19:24:33 by lolec »