Author Topic: Selectable ntensity units in Light Mtl just like in Corona Lights  (Read 3893 times)

2016-01-31, 13:35:48

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Working with Corona Light Mtl, I think it would be great to have selectable units, exactly as it is in Corona Lights.

ATM the only way to set a specific lumen value in a Light Mtl, is to make a Corona Light with this lumen value, then change units to W and copy this value into the Light Mtl intensity.

Definitely not as simple as it could be with selectable unit inside the Light Mtl :)

Regards

2016-01-31, 23:39:25
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
This wont be implemented because we want to keep the light material simple, and also because light material is not connected to single object - some units need to have an object for computing the final intensity. This would quickly get confusing if for example 1 light material was connected to objects with different surface area; that would cause it to have different intensity on both objects
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-02-01, 00:36:48
Reply #2

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
... just to make sure I understand it correct: so a light material with value at for example 100w applied to 2 objects with different surface areas won't give the same value in lumen?

2016-02-01, 01:37:54
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yes, it wouldnt, because the intensity would also depend on object surface area/normals
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-02-01, 02:20:24
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-05-25, 14:29:52
Reply #5

pandus2

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Still, it would be desirable to have a choice between standard and physical units (sometimes it is very necessary for physical simulation of light, such as a spiral light bulbs in lumens). Standard units are working but not correctly.
I believe that this must necessarily be in such a beautiful renderer like Corona (in Maxwell Render there is such a possibility)
_____
Sorry for the mistakes in my English.