Author Topic: Low Rays/s.. is normal?  (Read 977 times)

2023-12-16, 22:28:18

MircoTosti Studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys, is it normal that in a simple scene which is optimized at 92%, in a computer with 7950x 192GB of RAM and an nvme m.2 gen4 ssd.. it has so few rays 2,5 million rays?
Nowadays even on simple scenes it's like this, when I remember before I even reached 40/60 million rays

2023-12-18, 09:27:44
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi, it's hard to say without seeing the scene, are you able to share it at all?

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-12-18, 11:40:10
Reply #2

John_Do

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Try without the volumes but I'm afraid it's because of them.

2023-12-18, 13:52:31
Reply #3

MircoTosti Studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm sorry, but I really can't share the scene for copyright reasons.
Beanz, Which workstation did you test with and reach the same rays as me?

But I tried to replicate the same scene in 3ds max and... completely different speeds. (Ps.: in the corona benchmarks everything is normal with 12.6M rays with my 7950x)
In any case, for such a high-performance processor, it's not great to see so few rays. But I noticed that this now happens in all the interior scenes, something that didn't happen before with the other versions. It's the same problem again as the interior scene which took a long time even though it was an empty room, but with the difference that here the drop was really high.

2023-12-19, 16:08:21
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Are you able to share the scene with us privately? Or a part of it where the slowdown can be reproduced?

There could be a lot of different things that can slow down rendering when using volumetrics. One of them is scene scale. For example, if your cloud is large (let's say meters) and your volumetric object or material has "step size" set to millimeters, this can cause massive slowdowns. It could also be the reason why you are getting different render times in C4D and Max (different scene scale).

But that's just a wild guess so to be able to help you, we would need more details.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-12-19, 21:11:58
Reply #5

MircoTosti Studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tnx for your reply Maru.

I can't share the scene due to copyright issues as previously mentioned.
In any case, I was careful to use the same values, dimensions, and units of measurement... and if you pay attention to the Beanz scene he also has practically very low rays that are almost zero... or we both make all the same mistakes or something I think it doesn't work that well. I think you can directly take his scene as a practical and concrete example to evaluate.
I hope we can find a solution, and sorry again if I can't share it but I hope I have shared a problem common to everyone hoping for improvements or solutions.

2024-03-06, 07:02:55
Reply #6

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Can you try adjusting the step size to see if this helps at all?
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-03-06, 14:40:36
Reply #7

MircoTosti Studio

• Active Users
    • View Profile

hi Beanz,
sorry but I don't understand what you are asking me.. but I will be happy to help you

2024-03-06, 15:21:03
Reply #8

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats

hi Beanz,
sorry but I don't understand what you are asking me.. but I will be happy to help you

Sure thing. I'm referring to the step size value in the volume grid object. More on this can be found here: https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRC4D/Corona+Volume+Grid#CoronaVolumeGrid-CoronaVolumeGrid:Renderingstepsize
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-03-06, 17:49:14
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The thing here is that you may be getting the expected rendering performance. I would recommend some basic optimizations such as:
- enabling "single bounce"
- increasing step size to the highest possible value (at some point you should see artifacts such as sharp squares/lines in your volume)
- also the higher the absorption distance (more transparent volume) and the darker the scattering color, the faster it will render
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us