Author Topic: Cloth Sample Accuracy  (Read 1980 times)

2019-01-21, 15:32:13

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Cloth Sample Accuracy

I have been asked to render out boards with different cloth samples on them,for acoustic boards.

I have the samples physically, what is the best process to get the cloth perfect if that is possible, photograph plan down shot  with diffuse light.
Is there a simple set up that can be purchased to get the lighting correct?

I also have another query.
I have 1 image with 16 different version of the material to change out.
What is the best process for the this, in vray I think it is the Vray switcher material, but I would prefer to use Corona?

Thank you

philip
« Last Edit: 2019-01-21, 19:00:53 by Philip kelly »
Dell Precision T7910

2019-01-21, 22:08:39
Reply #1

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Can Admin respond to this if nobody else will.

Thank you

philip
Dell Precision T7910

2019-01-22, 00:42:08
Reply #2

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Can Admin respond to this if nobody else will.

Thank you

philip
Have patience, your posts were less than 7 hours apart. Besides it being a monday time zones are a thing as well.

I have the samples physically, what is the best process to get the cloth perfect if that is possible, photograph plan down shot  with diffuse light.
Is there a simple set up that can be purchased to get the lighting correct?
Using a straight down photo during overcast daylight outside is the easiest, tried and tested method of capturing anything in VFX. Going for a direct PBR capture is quite a difficult task, maybe overkill for a material recreation.
I'd suggest you go with a material tutorial, there are one's made by the Corona team. They will guide you in recreating materials. With a straight down photo as reference or part of a texture will propably do it.

If you really want to go the capture route, with color calibration on so on, dubcat did an exellent writeup about this. Although again, this is time and ressource intensive, propably overkill.

As for the switcher thing, I read the Vray Doc on what it does. I don't quite understand quite why you need a value in a material to change materials themselves...  so I don't know about that.
However, 3dsMax always supported batch rendering, which allows you to save state and render multiple materials / views / render settings. But again, someone else is more qualified to answer on that.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-22, 00:50:10 by SairesArt »
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2019-01-22, 08:02:57
Reply #3

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Good Morning.
Thank you very much for the reply.
Apologies, point taken on the reply.
I am under pressure to get the work done, and wanted to be sure of the right method.
Thank you also for the links they are great, I do appreciate them.

Kind regards

Philip
Dell Precision T7910

2019-01-22, 22:45:52
Reply #4

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I recommend using a macbeth chart to get accurate colour representation as detailed in dubcat's process.

If you have access to swatch samples that are at least 8 inches long/wide and a flatbed scanner, I've had good results with scanning fabrics and then making them seamless in photoshop.

As for swapping out materials, I would just make a multi/sub-object material with all your fabric materials and then click and drag to swap the materials around when you need to render out a new version. then just use the render selected mode to render your variations.

2019-01-23, 09:02:21
Reply #5

Philip kelly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Sketchrender
Mferster

Thank you very much for the feed back, all very helpful.
I have sample materials but very small.
Thank you

philip
Dell Precision T7910

2019-01-25, 18:46:02
Reply #6

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
flatbed scanner + macbeth chart
Holy moly :D that's actually a really good idea!
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )