Author Topic: Bump in layered materials  (Read 830 times)

2023-07-14, 13:50:58

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is a long standing limitation of the layered shader as I've not noticed before. But it seems like only the bump from the base material can be used - is that right? Displacement works with the different options like blending but bump is only from the base material which seems like a strange limitation when displacement can be blended. If I remove any bump maps from the base material then the material is just flat, even with layers above that have bump switched on are active in the layer shader. (no displacement used).

Corona 10 full release, Max 2023

2023-07-17, 12:38:04
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi there, thanks for your report. We will look into it further and get back to you! :)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-07-18, 10:30:06
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2023-07-24, 12:14:56
Reply #3

NazarVitkovskyi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
hello @Rhodesy

it is not true, if layer 1 has a bump in it - the bump will be taken from layer 1 even if the base layer has no bump.

2023-07-24, 13:09:31
Reply #4

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for looking in to this. I've just done some more tests and I think I have identified the problem.

I use the normals shading multipass to view the effect of bump and displacement when Im making materials. It appears that while the bump blending works correctly in the full render view, if you switch to the normals shading pass it only shows whatever bump is set in the base material. So if there is no bump in the base material but there is on a layer on top, the normals pass just shows the object as being smooth. I've just recreated it with a simple checker material in the second materials bump, no other chanels used in either material and its happening there where the normals multipass is just flat. But switch the checker map to the base material bump and it will show up. Hope that helps

2023-08-01, 10:35:46
Reply #5

NazarVitkovskyi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi @Rhodesy

I was able to reproduce this issue. It is logged now to our devs team.

(Internal ID=1171399238)

2023-08-01, 13:32:09
Reply #6

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great, thanks