Author Topic: Parisian apartment  (Read 20236 times)

2013-09-20, 17:28:53

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi guys,

I am putting up project we did during summer, because I would like to access new daily builds :- ) I really wanted to stay out of dailys, because I love the clean state of alpha5, which eases my mind since I already use Corona for 80perc. commercial projects we do, but I guess I will really benefit from adaptivity.

Behance: http://bit.ly/16vvN16 )

Alternatively, you can swipe through on website: http://talcikdemovicova.com/classic-apartment-by-jessica-vedel/

[click to see higher res]

« Last Edit: 2016-03-31, 18:13:05 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-09-20, 17:50:52
Reply #1

lasse1309

• Active Users
    • View Profile
these are extremely beautiful!

as I wrote on behance already: dreamproject all the way. great brief, great outcome, don't you think?

regards
L

2013-09-20, 18:07:57
Reply #2

eduard.caliman

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great lighting, great floor, beautiful decor and stunning use of corona.
« Last Edit: 2013-09-20, 18:53:18 by eduard.caliman »

2013-09-20, 18:12:18
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
these are extremely beautiful!

as I wrote on behance already: dreamproject all the way. great brief, great outcome, don't you think?

regards
L

Thank you Lasse, haven't checked Behance ! Yes, we're happy with this project, but I now I am already very bored of the thematic, and we're working on very different, completely different style renderings :- ).

(We also render skyscrappers...but nobody will ever know I hope)

Great lighthing, great floor, beautiful decor and stunning use of corona.

Thank you Eduard !

On general note:

FLOOR

Few people asked over time if I used multi-texture on the floor. I did, but outside of Corona. I created the geometry by hand, applied MatbyID modificator (or what was it called), applied multi-texture, and once I was satisfied (did only scanline tests I think) I baked it using native Max render to map tool for 8192px texture which I projected back to the geometry. It's actually very easy process and has many benefits, because I could derive much better specular maps inside Photoshop than I could otherwise using the very shitty ColorCorrection tool (which really is useless outside of basic gamma and saturation change).

LIGHTING

Other too often question was how is lighting done. It's always very easy. This project is for example lit by single HDRi ( Nothing else at all ! ), that I derived in Photoshop. HDRi isn't end result, you can manipulate them, 3 most common parameters are gamma (which will define the difference between indirect and direct proportions, i.e shadows) saturation (most HDRI have too strong color cast, because of weak EV distance, I like desaturated ones) and blur ( fallof/blurriness of shadows). I manipulate these until I find the exact lightning I want. I actually even move the bright spot to change angle. No need to swap HDRs :- ) Create your own.

(jpeg here)

« Last Edit: 2013-09-20, 18:35:23 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2013-09-20, 21:31:47
Reply #4

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs

2013-09-20, 23:54:54
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Excellent design and vis!
Thanks for hires

Thank you Headoff, the set design, choice of furniture and reference was done by Jessica Vedel http://jessicavedel.com/category/work/
But we had to stitch it all together, create the architecture/space. Took some time :- )

2013-09-21, 04:05:51
Reply #6

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow really great renders man! How'd you manage to get the walls so white without being blown out / losing contrast in the details?

Mind sharing your ceramic and marble material settings? Having trouble over here finding the right IOR / reflection amount!
Vray who?

2013-09-21, 10:08:43
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'm a huge fan of the visual style of your works - not only these posted here. I would call it "highly detailed simplicity". :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-09-21, 13:03:56
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Wow really great renders man! How'd you manage to get the walls so white without being blown out / losing contrast in the details?

Mind sharing your ceramic and marble material settings? Having trouble over here finding the right IOR / reflection amount!

The White wall here is only simple diffuse material. It would be nice if it had bump and reflection, but sometimes it's barely noticeable, and it would have huge performance cost.
I am not exactly sure what was the exact RGB value but it's mosty between 180 to 220. I might check, but it should be much closer to 180 (that's pretty grey :- ) .. ).

It helps when the space have lot of windows, which is the case here.

More diffuse light (one without shadows) produces more even lightning, so here I choose one, that have only slight shadows for object definition, but is otherwise mostly uniform.

Light is casted even from outside floor, so if you watch my HDRi closely, you will notice the ground is slightly grey (btw Corona Sky is also setup in this way by default, which is very cool !).
If you HDRi has BLACK lower half (like most for archviz), then either modify it, or use some big plane.

Tone mapping. I used native Corona highlight crushing, I think Value 3-6. I do not go higher, because it can produce very dull picture. I am not sure how exactly it works, but use it with caution.
I much rather prefer under-exposing slightly, and boosting midtones with curves in PS. I save as 16bit .exr and uses curves inside Magic Bullet Looks, where I use simple post. Few Curves, Vignette.

There is big difference in LOCAL contrast, to total contrast. The latter is very nicely done with S-Curve, or even better, masked SoftLight layer blending. For the former it is best to use some plugin from NIK or Topaz.

Sorry for lack of illustration, just writting from head now. Maybe I'll update it later.

MATERIALS:

I am very ashamed when people ask me, because it is my very weak point. I don't believe in complicated shaders, I have very little time for that. So everything is only hi-res diffuse, and reflection map. Not even bump map mostly. The IOR is big battle, it's true it's very hard to find out where it should be. I never use fallof curve, always IOR. In 98perc. it is 1.6. Reflection mostly 30-60perc in RGB value, not higher (except for mirror, and some glass).

When I get to office, I might check those materials from you, as I don't remember exact settings. The texture is from CG-Source btw. Best source for anything.

I'm a huge fan of the visual style of your works - not only these posted here. I would call it "highly detailed simplicity". :)

Thank you Maru, we could not wish for better compliment with Veronika ! Very appreciated.

Haha, one more thing I forgot about those white wall question. Btw I had to use sometimes a lot of tricks to get it with Vray. And here is the reason: Maximal sample intensity.
The default 20 is not enough imho for interior scenes. It produces much different "gradient" between highlights and shadows. Naturaly, it looks best at 0=fully unbiased. Then,
you get excellent light diffusion, midtones are huge ! Local contrast is best. But at great cost of sampling and fireflies. Maybe adaptivness will solve this ? Not sure, this was done with
Alpha 5 and I used value 50-80 I think, depending on picture. The big difference can mostly be seen in how bright gets the ceiling. At low value it is dark, while the walls already get burned.
At Unbiased settings, the ceiling is much more closer to walls in contrast. The whole settings can get much brighter before burning. And it can't be compensated with exposure.
Imho it only looks photorealistically when it is set at 0. There might be few reasons (GI caustics ? Some secondary reflections,etc.. didn't study too much) Heh, tough choice tough :- ).
Thankfully I could afford 20+ hours per each picture (but it was nicely clear after 6-8 mostly).

Private messages: Hey guys, I do plan on sharing tutorial. I don't think a scene, I am not really comfortable with that yet, sorry. But it will be more important to write why I use this and that. I am using a new scene that features both exterior and interior, even with vegetation. Expect in 10 days maybe. Not later, because than I will travel the world :- ).
And maybe if some of you are going to ACADEMY DAYS 4 in Venice in week/two, let's have a chat there !
« Last Edit: 2013-09-21, 13:37:58 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-09-21, 16:04:23
Reply #9

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for your detailed reply! It was incredibly helpful.

I look forward to hearing more!
Vray who?

2013-09-21, 16:43:20
Reply #10

ondrike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Absolutely mindblowing pictures !! I really love parisien style, cos I lived there for couple years and their style and lifestyle is just perfect. I think I should visite Bratislava to see how you work :D (I´m from BB :)
Corona brought joy to sad world of 3Ds Max :)

2013-09-21, 17:07:23
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Absolutely mindblowing pictures !! I really love parisien style, cos I lived there for couple years and their style and lifestyle is just perfect. I think I should visite Bratislava to see how you work :D (I´m from BB :)
\

Do you plan on going to Splash in Prague next weekend ? Veronika and I will have one hour to show something. Already have some practice from Vienna so I hope it will be useful for someone atleast :- )

2013-09-21, 19:00:20
Reply #12

ondrike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I´m afraid I won´t be there :( my girlfriend is pregnant and I cannot leave her alone - she´s in 8.month :) hope, next year or elsewhere
Corona brought joy to sad world of 3Ds Max :)

2013-09-21, 23:21:19
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I see, well that is more important :- ) You're actually third slovak I've talked in past 2 weeks who won't be able to come. I guess there won't be strong slovak presence, which would be cool.

2013-09-22, 12:43:31
Reply #14

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
great, looking forward to that tutorial/making of :D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)