Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 486950 times)

2015-02-11, 22:03:32
Reply #315

AnubisMe

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am do see myself using the sun/sky more for interiors but for exteriors I cant seem to get a good sun sky model to work for the life of me.

2015-02-12, 00:29:47
Reply #316

nacho_grande

• Active Users
  • Industrial Designer & Interior Architect
    • View Profile
    • SARP DESIGN WORKSHOP
The clarity of your images make me feel like there's hope for those noisy scenes I have rendered so far. :) Absolutly breathtaking.

2015-02-12, 00:34:56
Reply #317

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
My recent wips for clients are very noisy though :- ) I don't know if my scenes got too complex or if Corona got slower..but I am fighting a lot.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-02-12, 09:39:13
Reply #318

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
My recent wips for clients are very noisy though :- ) I don't know if my scenes got too complex or if Corona got slower..but I am fighting a lot.

I´ve noticed as well that rendering has gotten slower, but I think it could be a combination of both?

I know, with myself, that the faster I can render the more complex my scenes get. It would be interesting to be able to render exactly the same scene with for instance Alpha V6 and see if there is any difference in render times.

How bad has the render times been for you lately?

2015-02-12, 16:52:30
Reply #319

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I have put my MSI down from 100 to 50. I see fireflies (very small) at beginning of render.
Cannot risk waiting 7 hours to see if they converge or not.

Might have to go back to Max 2014 to use A6 soon. Never used A6 before. maybe it's faster.
Seems Max is good every two years... 2014 good... 2015 bad.... 2016 good.
Just like M/soft Windows....

« Last Edit: 2015-02-12, 16:57:56 by Black Sun »

2015-02-12, 16:52:58
Reply #320

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I´ve noticed as well that rendering has gotten slower, but I think it could be a combination of both?

I know, with myself, that the faster I can render the more complex my scenes get. It would be interesting to be able to render exactly the same scene with for instance Alpha V6 and see if there is any difference in render times.

How bad has the render times been for you lately?

Honestly I don't know, I can never bring myself to be precise and do some actual comparison so I just go with feelings :- ) But even my 2.5k test renders, often need [I am not writting actual render times since I have farm, but normalized it per 6-core i7] 3-4 hours to clean-up {I am very bothered by any blurriness/fuziness/residual noise}, but hardly to where I would like them.

But I have more GI-intense scenes, which alone, isn't issue, but when coupled with fact almost every material is very (rough) specular, makes an issue. But I had the same problem with Vray. Complicated GI + Specular surface + BF = Issue. I solved that with IR in such cases, which aleviated the spec+GI issues, since interpolated GI is smooth and specular surfaces clean-up much faster and leave almost zero residual noise.

Trade-off I guess I will simply have to live with forever. Simplicty + Precision, means high render times in complicated scenes. UE4 makes my blood boil though, where I see how super clean and fast those faked glossies look. I am completely satisfied with how they look :- ) I would literally love the combo of fake/interpolated glossies with path-traced GI. Best of both worlds.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-02-12, 16:59:05
Reply #321

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Juraj

wanted to ask whats the progress on the new videos so far
They are awesome to just watch

So far failed promise on my part, I apologize. Definitely something I want to do, but I changed a lot my work philosophy before Christmas. I simply decided to spend every time I am not doing commercial work to keep my mind shut off from CGI. Not community, no tutorials, no personal project (although Veronika is modelling kick-ass mercedes) . I simply became too drained, too burn out.

I keep saying for few months just one more project, and then take 3 months off at some beach. I have so many ideas I want to finish, but too little mental energy to keep focus on it. My studio is bigger, responsibilities grow, projects became too long and complicated, I need a time-off. But I will get back on it :- ) Just for the fact so many people survived watching tutorial in language they couldn't understand :- D

2015-02-12, 23:57:13
Reply #322

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Honestly I don't know, I can never bring myself to be precise and do some actual comparison so I just go with feelings :- ) But even my 2.5k test renders, often need [I am not writting actual render times since I have farm, but normalized it per 6-core i7] 3-4 hours to clean-up {I am very bothered by any blurriness/fuziness/residual noise}, but hardly to where I would like them.

But I have more GI-intense scenes, which alone, isn't issue, but when coupled with fact almost every material is very (rough) specular, makes an issue. But I had the same problem with Vray. Complicated GI + Specular surface + BF = Issue. I solved that with IR in such cases, which aleviated the spec+GI issues, since interpolated GI is smooth and specular surfaces clean-up much faster and leave almost zero residual noise.

Trade-off I guess I will simply have to live with forever. Simplicty + Precision, means high render times in complicated scenes. UE4 makes my blood boil though, where I see how super clean and fast those faked glossies look. I am completely satisfied with how they look :- ) I would literally love the combo of fake/interpolated glossies with path-traced GI. Best of both worlds.

I see! 3-4 hours seems pretty ok, my latest projects has taken 3-5 hours at 5k on my dual xeon workstation...kind of slow :)

Some materials are really really hard to get clean....takes forever! I really must try UE4 sometime, but it looks kind of complicated to wrap my head around, but sometime! :)

I would be nice (but probably difficult/ impossible to implement) to have the render engine focus (perhaps after a number of passes or something) on materials with low value for refl. glossiness so some materials will get all the cpu power.

2015-02-13, 08:06:11
Reply #323

nacho_grande

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • SARP DESIGN WORKSHOP
Honestly, I am getting much more fast results even with VRay (IR+LC) pretty bumped settings (Which is no cool, because I'd dump it). I want to believe that the reason of the failure to get fast results via Corona is lack of my knowledge and falsy adjustments.

2015-02-13, 11:12:25
Reply #324

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I see! 3-4 hours seems pretty ok, my latest projects has taken 3-5 hours at 5k on my dual xeon workstation...kind of slow :)

You missunderstood me then, I said 2.5k :- ), so only quarter of yours, 2560px,. My 5-8k finals take around 12+ hours minimum at dual xeon slave. But that is ok.

Honestly, I am getting much more fast results even with VRay (IR+LC)

Of course IR is fast, but I am comparing BF/LC to PT/UHD. In which case, Corona is still slightly faster, about 30perc. in my case. I am comparing for the same quality, which IR can't give, or even solve at some complicated scenario (like stucco apartments).
BF/LC progressive is actually quite worse, but on other hand, BF/LC bucket adaptive, as much as I dislike it, is very effective, still slow, but cleans up image very equally. Corona will need some form of adaptivity later.

2015-02-13, 11:51:55
Reply #325

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You missunderstood me then, I said 2.5k :- ), so only quarter of yours, 2560px,. My 5-8k finals take around 12+ hours minimum at dual xeon slave. But that is ok.

I meant that if your renders take 3-4 hours at 2,5k on a i7 then 3-5 hours at 5k on a dual xeon workstation (approx. 3x faster?) is kind of slow :) I´m pretty bad at explaining myself sometimes!

But if 5-8k takes 12+ hours, that must be some heavy scenes! Would like to see one of those renders, interesting to see what kind of scene takes that long time to render :)

2015-02-13, 12:13:16
Reply #326

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I meant that if your renders take 3-4 hours at 2,5k on a i7 then 3-5 hours at 5k on a dual xeon workstation (approx. 3x faster?) is kind of slow :) I´m pretty bad at explaining myself sometimes!

But if 5-8k takes 12+ hours, that must be some heavy scenes! Would like to see one of those renders, interesting to see what kind of scene takes that long time to render :)

5 hours/5k/Dual Xeon (3x performance)= 15 hours/5k/i7= 4 hours/2.5k/i7 :- ) It's the same times.

Scenes are decently fast in one of two scenarios happen:

Simple scene (Gi), but enough complicated materials (specular)= Icelandic house, very fast.
     Complicated scene (Gi), but few materials only (specular) = Parisian apartment, decently fast as well.

But if I have scene that has it both, like intricated long rooms, lot of GI details (Stucco), but also every material is glossy specular, it's big issue. It's like the render times suddenly multiply. It's not slower...but I need 4times more passes on same settings than usual.
It's not really Corona issue only, Vray struggles as well, as in these scenarios, IR cannot be used, it will never pick-up the stucco details correctly (just ask Bertrand Benoit how many times he tried).

2015-02-13, 12:53:30
Reply #327

nacho_grande

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • SARP DESIGN WORKSHOP
Yes IR misses details. Detail enhancement should work on those cases, however it increases the render time very dramatically. I mostly render kitchen scenes. They are quite complicated as all the front surfaces are glossy acrylic. My standart render size is 2500-3000px. Sometimes it takes almost 10hrs to get a noisy render no matter what combination of settings I use (16/10, 32/10, 64/4, 64/0,25 while MSI:4), including Albedo reduction.

PS. My CPU is 2x E5-2696v2 2.5Ghz (Turbocore:3.3Ghz)

2015-02-13, 13:16:12
Reply #328

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No the issue with IR is not loss of detail, you can always use hi-res IR map, which yields better precision, but not better quality. It will simply always create artifacts in far-off scene due to sample allocation, detail enhancement isn't there to solve this issue, LC retrace partly is. Scenes like Parisian apartment, could not be rendered in IR even with lowest Normal/Distance thresholds in IR, the algorithm itself, simply fails at such geometry and detail enhancement doesn't reach those detail in far-off parts of scene, only BF does.

10 hours per dual-xeon slave for 3k is a lot, esp. if you say it doesn't even converge. Like I said, mine are half of that, which I still consider too much, but double ? That's rather extreme... Do you use some un-orthodox lighting setup ?

2015-02-13, 13:19:08
Reply #329

nacho_grande

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • SARP DESIGN WORKSHOP