Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 486932 times)

2014-11-03, 14:10:54
Reply #300

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Oh yes, moment, I'll ask Veronika where it is, and upload them when I find them on disk.

Superstar :) Thanks.

Here you go. I think the third one is window, I didn't open them (I don't even have AutoCad installed).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-11-03, 15:16:31
Reply #301

chrisc0le

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj

The 3rd file is a .bak backup of the 'podorys' file.
So if there is supposed to be only 2 files. The window profile & the building plans i'm good to go :)

Maybe i'll spot something to improve my modelling skills as i'm self taught.

2014-11-06, 21:18:49
Reply #302

3dwannab

• Active Users
    • View Profile
EDIT:

Final version :

Hi Juraj, Big fan of your work. I was wondering about your image here. 2 questions.

1. How did you go about doing the intricate moulding on the walls and the ceiling especially where it wraps around the corner.
2. Forest pack to scatter a tuft of carpet like BBB3s here ---> http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2011/02/20/shag-carpet-using-forest-pack/ or different method.

Just noticed that panel is running into the left side of the fireplace. (Beautiful one at that I might add :))

Thanks.

2014-11-07, 00:33:36
Reply #303

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
EDIT:

Final version :

Hi Juraj, Big fan of your work. I was wondering about your image here. 2 questions.

1. How did you go about doing the intricate moulding on the walls and the ceiling especially where it wraps around the corner.
2. Forest pack to scatter a tuft of carpet like BBB3s here ---> http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/2011/02/20/shag-carpet-using-forest-pack/ or different method.

Just noticed that panel is running into the left side of the fireplace. (Beautiful one at that I might add :))

Thanks.

I made the moulding combination in 2D by variously combining them together, then used modifier "follow spline" or something like that I think it's called in 3dsMax (it was long time ago...sorry,I will check proper name later)
, it bends the geometry to follow exact shape you want. The spline was detached part of the ceiling corner curvature

Yes, carpet is "Bertrand's method" :- ) But I used multiscatter. I have Forestpack now but I still find it bit complicated for my needs, maybe I am too dumb.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-11-20, 11:53:16
Reply #304

marcotomaselli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My portfolio

2014-11-27, 09:10:44
Reply #305

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile

For me, your work represents the best I've seen using Corona. I use it as a standard to work towards.

I was inspired by one of your Scandanavian style interiors with black kitchen doors. But I cannot get the same lustre as your doors.
I used matt black plastic with a wenge wood bump map. Can you divulge your secret to this lovely texture?

Enc. 2 min render example.

2015-01-16, 15:16:49
Reply #306

druwee

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yea, that package is great. I have done some tests already.

Thanks for link, amazing model.

How did you get this achieved, wow

2015-02-10, 08:43:41
Reply #307

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh yes, moment, I'll ask Veronika where it is, and upload them when I find them on disk.

This thread has been very useful for me in pushing the limits of Corona to see what it can do.
From researching the advice of Juraj, Rawalanche and The Keymaster, and rendering the same 800MB scene
over and over again, I have deduced the following:

1. Pushing the Record Quality from 256 to 2048 helps with creating more quality, though only for interiors.
    1024 is sufficient for exterior scenes. Anything more than this is a waste.

2. Have no idea if increasing Max records from 100 to 999 has any benefits as Maru suggests. I am intrigued if anyone knows better?

3. Rawalanche's advice to change Image Filter in (Tent) to 1.333 instead of 1.5, for sharper images, creates more fireflies.
    Keymasters advice that filer is not necessary actually works. I prefer not to use filter as a result.
    It is advised on the net (and using Vray) to only use filters for animation, not stills.

4. MSI produces small fireflies past 100. I would prefer to go to 200 or even 400 as Juraj suggests to achieve unbiased results.
   But, 100 seems to be the limit for me. Having 0.0 MSI produces a firefly plague.

5. Pixel density is very important. The bigger the image, the better, as Juraj advices. 1920 x 1080 produces flat, blurry results.
    You have to go to 4K to start to see improvements. Juraj says he has frame buffer problems going to 8k. I don't have any problems
    going to 8k but it takes 1 hour per pass, so after 5 hours and only 5 passes, I decided to ditch the potential of 8k and stick to 4k.

6. HDRi alone are not good enough for me. Even using CG Source. I find I have to support it with Corona Sun at very small 0.003
    settings to add warmth to the renders and flush the shadows more. I also increase sun size to 5.0 to diffuse the shadows.

7. PT + PT does not work for me. It creates extra noise and fireflies. PT + HD has best results for interiors.

8. Corona materials perform better than standard mats. For example, I noticed bump maps give more convincing results so you can
   avoid using displacement.

9. From using PP software, Alienskin Exposure7 works better than Photolooks and ArionFX. There sharpening filters perform better as do there
   colour filters, though this, I guess, is personal taste, but since most pro photographers use Exposure, this is a good sign.

All done on a 2012 iMac, i7, 12gb ram, 1gb Graphics card.

2015-02-10, 12:36:56
Reply #308

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi Blacksun,

I can comment on these as well now, as I have been using Corona for 2 years since I started this thread, and last year on Daily builds.
During that time, lot of my knowledge, has changed. Most of my findings, are still empirical, so take that as what it is :- ).

1)Indeed. There is finer detail in interiors, and it can solve light-leaks, if those ever occur. Though it's rarely necessary if you render past 2k.

2)I have no idea either. I tried to rise it up to 999, or precomputation past 1 (10-90+), but never noticed any much difference, not in early phase, not after overnight.
  At the moment, I am using UHD Cache from daily build, which only has "precomputation", but again, rising it past 1, I still don't see any difference....
  The manual says this should potentially speed up the rendering in long term, in my case it usually rises the UHD samples from 60k to 200k and that's it.
  But I am fine, I believe they should hide it completely, so it doesn't become mess like Vray's LightCache.

3)I eventually kept Tent 1.5, even rising it to 2 for high-res images.

4)Indeed, the fireflies can be annoying, so I also settled for less. I keep it around 60-100, but, most importantly, I set 'true' exposure, since Corona evaluates MSI based on that.
   So if you set true exposure at start of rendering, an then lower it in VFB or in post before tonemapping, you will get more accurate brightness. But the behaviour of this improved
   in Daily builds.

5) Pretty much, I can't even look at fullHD previews on my 2.5k monitor. 4k is standard for most of my rendering but few of the clients do request 8k. It warrant overnight rendering,
ideally using few of my machines.... Times are getting crazy.

6) CoronaSun/Sky usually create more realistic color temperature. High quality HDRi can be more flat in color (in case of CG-Source) , or artifically color-casted (like in case of Peter Guthrie) due to lower dynamic range, or processing.
    I usually use Sun/Sky instead of Sun/HDRi.

7) Yes, I abandonded PT+PT as well.

8) I didn't even know Corona supported standard mats lol. Does it... ?
    There is lot to improve in Corona mat...but it's on good way.

9) I just can't understand ArionFx, all the tonemappers are pretty annoying to use for me. I am more more satisfied with regular CameraRaw filter and Magicbullet Looks only for glows (with masked use to avoid the "so much bloom,...like in every second Vray image).

2015-02-10, 13:14:05
Reply #309

Black Sun

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply, Juraj,

I just stopped my render based on what you just wrote. But, I have been working on the same scene for
two months now. Just not happy with it.... yet... though it did improve significantly when I read your thread.
Got alot of info that helped... especially rendering at 4k compared to 2k.

I think I will try pushing the Tent to 2.0 as you suggest. I went back to using filter. For some reason I cannot
come to terms with not using one. I feel I am committing a sin by not filtering. So, increasing Filter to 2.0
will smooth things out more I guess.

I was convinced that using HDRi's was the only way to go for good lighting. But I am surprised that when I compare
renders between HDRi and Sun & Sky there is a big difference. HDR seems cold and flat while S&S is warm
and friendly and has much more depth. For some reason I don't seem to trust S&S cos it is too simple.
But the results show that maybe HDRi for interiors is NOT the right choice.

I read about ArionFX on BBB3. But, was not convinced when I tried it.
I also learned from BBB3 to lower RGB of whites to 185. Every little bit of info helps. Become abit of a magpie.

Thanks for the update :)

2015-02-10, 13:22:25
Reply #310

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I used 180 whites for more than 2 years :- ) But I am not always obsessed with realism, or holy grail seeking like some here...and for artistic choice, rise their value slightly, to 190-200. In interiors with small windows,
that means I can still use purely natural light only and still get bright space. With realistic values, I would have to use photographic flashlights/softboxes.

HDR vs Sun/Sky, I think this is most missunderstood thing in industry. Almost everybody believes HDRi are something magical, mystical, but it's just fucking image that makes setup more convenient for Archviz. Unless you can get
the benefit of specular reflections from it (if you have super large windows like in my Icelanding house), the benefit for classic interior rendering is almost none.

Sun/Sky is fast to setup, very flexible (you can setup intensity, color, shadow softness/penumbra,etc..vertical and horizontal aligment). There is no reason to look down on it.

2015-02-10, 14:26:50
Reply #311

CiroC

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
8) CoronaSun/Sky usually create more realistic color temperature. High quality HDRi can be more flat in color (in case of CG-Source) , or artifically color-casted (like in case of Peter Guthrie) due to lower dynamic range, or processing.
    I usually use Sun/Sky instead of Sun/HDRi.

Do you use more HDRI for exteriors? Do you find necessary the HDR's reflections on and exterior scene?

EDIT:

Well, you sort of reply to this. but I am interested to know about the:

Do you find necessary the HDR's reflections on and exterior scene?

2015-02-10, 15:24:44
Reply #312

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
HDR vs Sun/Sky, I think this is most missunderstood thing in industry.

linear workflow
unbiased/biased
physically based rendering
GPU/CPU
albedo
BRDF

:D
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-02-10, 16:11:36
Reply #313

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
HDR vs Sun/Sky, I think this is most missunderstood thing in industry.

linear workflow
unbiased/biased
physically based rendering
GPU/CPU
albedo
BRDF

:D

Heh, true...

Do you find necessary the HDR's reflections on and exterior scene?

Can again depend heavily on conditions. Imagine you've built pretty self-encompassed scenery around your exterior scene, a forest perhaps. In such case, the specular reflections you get stem mostly from silhouette of that forest, and dynamic range of sky which is much brighter, creating the reflections you see in glass/windows. In such case, Sky or HDRi can provide pretty equal conditions, unless you can also spot some clouds.
In more solitude type of scenario, like my icelandic house, there was nothing to reflect and the 360 fully spherical texture provided that. Same case for car/product renderings.

So I decide on case per case, just like in every issue.

2015-02-11, 09:26:59
Reply #314

nehale

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If anyone was bored and wanted to watch something educative, we already started posting the videos online, but for now, they are in slovak language. They will be re-voiced fully in english after they are all complete, in early February. By that time, there should be around 20 videos and around 20 hours of free material.
We create them and publish them after our Friday's classes at Uni are over, so far there are 2 basic modelling videos.

[so disclaimer: might only hold value for total beginners right now, but eventually will go very complex, and until February only Slovak voice (Veronika and me, plus some of our modelers for SubD), in February English voice (again us) plus english subtitles ]

Just wanted to put it up in case some slovaks/czech/people who don't care about voice would look it up.

We'll supply full files for every stage by then too, right now, if someone wants the Cad files, just write me or maybe I'll post a link. It's just basic stuff Veronika drawn in AutoCad to simplify it.
At the moment it's only HD1280px, but english version will come on my VimeoPro so it will show in its original fullHD quality.

Hi Juraj

wanted to ask whats the progress on the new videos so far
They are awesome to just watch
I had a girlfriend once.....her name was Vray