Author Topic: Juraj's Renderings thread  (Read 492514 times)

2017-05-23, 21:33:27
Reply #540

vicmds

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Those are great 3D people! If I had to guess, I'd say they were the most time-consuming part of this work?

2017-05-23, 21:43:22
Reply #541

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok no problem, hope you won't be disappointed, it's very basic I think. I'll make small write-up.

Thank you very much... Any insight, simple or not, might be useful... :) (BTW have you thought about some "gumroad" or similar, tips and tricks tutorial?? /visualizations/photography/composition... )

I made a promise not to talk about this because I never deliver :- ) It will have to be once it's ready. I always start writing these but fail to finish. Lack of discipline or over-ambitious start.
I made a promise to my GF, that I will stop promising to stop smoking cause it always results in a terrible failure... And almost two years ago I quit smoking...

I just needed to try couple of times,

What I ask for is a general "decision-strategy" overview that goes around your and maybe Veronika's head at the time of pre-production and some case-studies, like... we chose this time for shooting the BG, cause "???"... I bet there is something to talk about, may not be relatable but still relevant...idk

2017-05-23, 22:08:24
Reply #542

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Ok no problem, hope you won't be disappointed, it's very basic I think. I'll make small write-up.

Thank you very much... Any insight, simple or not, might be useful... :) (BTW have you thought about some "gumroad" or similar, tips and tricks tutorial?? /visualizations/photography/composition... )

I made a promise not to talk about this because I never deliver :- ) It will have to be once it's ready. I always start writing these but fail to finish. Lack of discipline or over-ambitious start.
I made a promise to my GF, that I will stop promising to stop smoking cause it always results in a terrible failure... And almost two years ago I quit smoking...

I just needed to try couple of times,

What I ask for is a general "decision-strategy" overview that goes around your and maybe Veronika's head at the time of pre-production and some case-studies, like... we chose this time for shooting the BG, cause "???"... I bet there is something to talk about, may not be relatable but still relevant...idk

I have exactly something like that written... it's rather comprehensive (and avoids the typical "and now I use floorgen blablah) but yeah...

Those are great 3D people! If I had to guess, I'd say they were the most time-consuming part of this work?

Kind of, yes :- ). They aren't available for Corona, so I spent LOT of time tweaking setup from Rawalanche (who was of excellent help during this project !). But fake skin-shader can only take so far and it still breaks in this kind of light... Let's wait what 1.7 brings !
I also re-made most of the texture for all of them, creating subsurface maps,etc..painting freckles, stuff.

It was actually lot of fun, but it takes time. I did almost like and experiment, 'what if' sort of, I had some nice 2D cutouts but I really wanted to do this for so long.

The chef was clothed and animated in Marvelous by Veronika through mesh-morphs :- ) That was kind of interesting.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-05-25, 09:19:13
Reply #543

TheDavid

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, good work on this one. Especially with people. They really add a lot, especially the chef.
Maybe I missed it but which model bank did you use to pick this entourage ? Or you scanned on your own.

2017-05-25, 09:23:09
Reply #544

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi, good work on this one. Especially with people. They really add a lot, especially the chef.
Maybe I missed it but which model bank did you use to pick this entourage ? Or you scanned on your own.

Heh no of course not. I don't write assets in project describtions but I answered it in comments:

Front people: Human Alloy. Back people:Axyz. The chef: Daz3D haha, it was nicely rigged, dressed in Marvelous designer where it was animated through mesh morphs.

Axyz is kinda bad...not even masks or anything, so I had to paint those in Photoshop and then create multimaterials. Human Alloy comes with perfect masks.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2017-05-25, 18:28:45
Reply #545

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
The chef: Daz3D haha, it was nicely rigged, dressed in Marvelous designer where it was animated through mesh morphs.
Daz3d? Whaa?!! Will definiely give this app a try. I also think the chef looks quite unique to the scene. Yeah, you need to animate the mesh into final pose to get the clothes to simulate and rest realistically with that pose. Some ppl sculpt the clothes using zbrush but I think marvelous gives better and quicker results. Isn't Daz3d similar to this software called Poser?

Really nice renders btw :-)
« Last Edit: 2017-05-25, 18:35:54 by melviso »

2017-05-26, 13:55:21
Reply #546

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, Daz3D :- ) I honestly still don't understand what is the different between all these barbie-making softwares like Daz, Poser,etc.. there are 4 of them, all the same.. But it did the job because it's so easy to animate and came with nice rig. Of course I slapped photoscanned textures on it from TextureXYZ.

I am off to the Georgia mountains, road trip so I won't answer in next 10 days, but once I am come back I'll write about the photography.

2017-05-26, 21:46:28
Reply #547

Ink Visual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj!
Inspiring work as always!
Could you share with us the secret of creating the fibre optics chandelieur?
I am trying to get the similar effect but have no clue how to start it?
Cheers!

_____
EDIT(see attachment)

This is what I achieved so far with selfilluminated glass material...

« Last Edit: 2017-05-26, 23:14:40 by cexec »

2017-06-06, 12:05:33
Reply #548

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hi,

I think Veronika used a 3dSky model as a base and it came with self-illumination material.

I've experimented with actual real-world imitation but it proved too complicated to setup, it didn't give the right artistic effect in the short amount of time we had. I'll experiment more when I'll have some time.

I like your current setup and I think self-illuminated fakery is kind of the right approach.

2017-07-03, 06:52:13
Reply #549

springate

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This topic helps me a lot!

I have a question: let's say i have a good image texture and want to create the pbr maps for it, how can i do that? I have a huge doubt about how the specular maps should look like and what maps i must use while creating the textures using this method.

2017-07-03, 12:46:37
Reply #550

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

I have a question: let's say i have a good image texture and want to create the pbr maps for it, how can i do that? I have a huge doubt about how the specular maps should look like and what maps i must use while creating the textures using this method.

Absolutely. I do this all the time and it's mostly eye-balling now (unless you can photograph it yourself in controlled light environment using X-Rite color-checker for reference). Will do a small write up on it in a week (last week of work before summer !!).

2017-07-03, 20:23:50
Reply #551

springate

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Absolutely. I do this all the time and it's mostly eye-balling now (unless you can photograph it yourself in controlled light environment using X-Rite color-checker for reference). Will do a small write up on it in a week (last week of work before summer !!).

I am looking forward to it! Thank you!

2017-08-05, 23:23:40
Reply #552

Seth Richardson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
One more, Reinhard with it's bleached look and milky blacks, very low values not to flatten too much (instead slightly under-exposed), then LUT+ contrast.

PBR materials work flawlessly, can't imagine why anyone would be nostalgic after the old fresnel (supposedly some people are), this saves so much of the handy-work, but most importantly,
not sure if people realize that, correct fresnel means the material will work in every angle and light situation. Previously I had to tweak specular level based on camera and light. Dull could become glossy and that made option of creating universal material library pointless.

As can be seen, post-production ramps up the contrast a lot, which is why it's important to follow the rules and keep albedo within correct range ( "artistic" [30-240] sRGB; "strict" [50-240] sRGB; I follow the strict method, my blackest black is 50 sRGB )

Im curious how you apply those rules to things like panetone colors which very clearly go above and below those values many times.

2017-08-12, 13:17:47
Reply #553

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Gorgeous work on these characters, as always !

I am installing Noctuas 40mm there, 5V 3pin should fit. Will let you know how it goes

Did you manage to get something acceptable ? I become crazy with that thing next to me !

Hi Fluss, yeah, I did. I added those fans mentioned above.

It's not total silence...but it's tremendeously better. Alternative is drilling 120/140mm circle above and adding thin fan.

Glad to hear ! I'm gonna pick 2 of those. Thanks for the tip ;)

I just realized I haven't took the time to say thanks now that everything is installed. It's tremendously better indeed. So thanks Juraj for all the valuable informations you share on this forum. I tried to PM you, but it does not work, so I do it here.

2017-08-17, 15:39:18
Reply #554

aldola

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj, how are you? 

i wanted to ask you some doubt about making a panorama on panellum, how do you put different cameras on the same panorama?

i loved your panorama on your web and i want to make something similar for a client

thanks in advance

cheers