Author Topic: Mapping Randomizer and Displacement help  (Read 537 times)

2023-11-28, 16:13:29

Julieta

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all, 

I'm having issues setting up the Corona Mapping Randomizer together with a displacement map. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but the displacement map is offset.
If I set a step number the offset issue is solved, but then there's no randomization at all (please see attachments) I applied an exaggerated amount of displacement so you would be able to see the issue, but with lower numbers the issue is the same.
I searched the forum before posting and I'm aware this was a logged issue around Corona 7 but apparently it was solved and it only occurred when setting the then w UVW randomizer was set in mesh mode.

Right now I'm experiencing the issue both in mesh element, and polygon (as you can see in my attachments). Is there something I'm missing now in my settings? I tried different parameters and I still can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Disclaimer 1: you'll see on the the attachments that I have the displ map plugged as "additional bump", but that was a test I was doing. I also had the same issue without it there.
Disclaimer 2: I also tested with a brick materials from the Corona Library and I had the same issues. (the last three attached documents)
« Last Edit: 2023-11-29, 09:02:02 by Julieta »

2023-11-28, 21:43:50
Reply #1

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's the value you're using, use values between 0 and 1

I've made this mistake when trying to dial in real world scale values into the randomzier

2023-11-29, 09:16:57
Reply #2

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi,

I searched the forum before posting and I'm aware this was a logged issue around Corona 7 but apparently it was solved and it only occurred when setting the then w UVW randomizer was set in mesh mode.

Polygon mode arrived later in Corona v8, that's why it is not mentioned in most of the threads regarding this issue. But it is (was) affected as well (v8 to v10). The issue is finally solved in Corona v11 (current dailies/release candidates and v11 final of course).

Good Luck

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: 2023-12-01, 12:58:22 by Frood »
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2023-11-29, 09:37:16
Reply #3

Julieta

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Frood,
You are right, I remember that in versions previous to Corona 8 there was no polygon option. I just didn't know that polygon mode was also affected by this issue.
So basically is still a known issue and we'll see it being solved in Corona V11?

I tried dj_buckley's suggestions (thanks btw) to use low values but unfortunately I still get the offset in the displacement.

Kindest regards,

2023-11-29, 09:48:01
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
So basically is still a known issue and we'll see it being solved in Corona V11?

Yes. You can try the current release candidate here if you like to see the difference:
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=40442.msg219200#msg219200
Or just wait for v11 final, should be out soon.

I tried dj_buckley's suggestions (thanks btw) to use low values but unfortunately I still get the offset in the displacement.

I'm not aware that using [0;1] range could solve anything in this case.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2023-11-29, 09:49:01
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Please see the attached images. It's the same with "Mesh" and "Polygon" modes. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-11-29, 09:56:33
Reply #6

Julieta

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you all for your answers, I'll try the release candidate.

2023-11-29, 10:11:10
Reply #7

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not aware that using [0;1] range could solve anything in this case.

That's how I've always understood it ever since I had this problem back in 2019/2020.  I've not really used it since then though.  I had a thread on here asking the same question and that was the response I got, pretty sure it fixed it for me at the time.

EDIT:  My bad, found my old thread and it wasn't related to displacement specifically, although you can see that using high values in the randomizer wasn't advised https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=30862.0
« Last Edit: 2023-11-29, 10:20:39 by dj_buckley »