Author Topic: Best PSU for a RTX 4090 build?  (Read 1387 times)

2023-05-30, 22:00:37

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey everybody. I recently got an RTX 4090 and I'm looking for a new PSU. Any recomendation?

Specs:

AsRock B550 PG Velocita
AMD 5950x
NH-D15s
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR4 3200
GIGABYTE Gaming GeForce RTX 4090

2023-05-30, 23:34:17
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Choosing PSU is little bit of alchemy :- )

Short & Easy way: Any 1000W (or more), Gold-rated (or more, Platinum/Titanium, but this gets costly), and from reputable brand with good warranty (Seasonic, EVGA, Corsair, Super Flower, etc..).

In Depth: A bunch of fanatics keep compiling a Tier List of every PSU on market: https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Why they do it, is because one brand, like Corsair for example, sources their PSUs from many different OEMs, so one model can be actually made by Seasonic, and other by CWT.
Each generation and revision can likewise be completely different, a difference of problematic due to tiny issue with spikes, noise/etc..
This list follows those changes.

If you would like the latest technology in ATX 3.0 like EPS12V connectors, then Corsair RMe Series RM1000e made their A-Tier list and looks to be very affordable 150 Euro/USD.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-05-31, 00:57:51
Reply #2

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you would like the latest technology in ATX 3.0 like EPS12V connectors, then Corsair RMe Series RM1000e made their A-Tier list and looks to be very affordable 150 Euro/USD.

Hey Juraj! Thanks for your reply.

Model on the Tier A list is "RMx SHIFT" (the one with connectors on the side) not RM1000e, no?

On the other hand, is there any benefit from getting more wattage like 1200? Under what circumstances should I consider it?

2023-05-31, 09:22:23
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Those 1200-1600W were originally created for multi-GPU setups which have died in meantime (not even Quadro cards have NV-Links anymore, and multi-cards don't fit now when they're 3-Slot or even 4-Slot lol).

1200 vs 1000W is debatable, I personally like bigger because the PSU will usually run fanless when in less than 50perc. operation. It also provides even more protection for current spikes (when your GPU suddenly decides to eat 800W for fraction of second, etc..). Lastly it benefit overclockers who plan to run the CPU at 300W and GPU at 600W territory.

But 1000W will be fine. But don't even think about going less.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2023-05-31, 09:46:08
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Model on the Tier A list is "RMx SHIFT" (the one with connectors on the side) not RM1000e, no?

Both options are listed in A-tier list. The main difference isn't the Shift imho but RMe vs RMx platform, with RMx having better capacitators and fan and should be slightly more expensive.
Yeah maybe that's the better option.

But you can always get non-ATX 3.0 older PSU which for same price would probably be Platinum instead of Gold. It's always debatable whether the newer thing is worth it. I have some Seasonic Platinum PSUs running to 10 years like new! I keep swapping them between PCs. So good PSU is solid investment, for me it's mostly about safety. I don't want my house to burn down :- ).

2023-05-31, 19:04:30
Reply #5

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Got it!

I probably should have mention that I'm using a 4K Dell monitor and I'm planning to add a second one on the near future. Would I still be OK with 1000w in that case?

2023-05-31, 19:21:16
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
1) Multiple monitors don't influence how much power GPU consumes to big degree. Sure it affects performance, in both desktop and GPU powered applications, but at best it will just raise the idle draw by tiny bit.
2) Desktop monitors don't take any power from PSU, they have their own internal PSU (in majority cases internal), so power goes exclusively from power outlet. That would be different only for portable USB-C monitors that can take upstream both power and data signal (displayport through usb) but even those require their own power source for any reasonable brightness/resolution.

So very much inconsequential :- ) 1000W would be good no matter what in your case.

2023-05-31, 21:14:46
Reply #7

James Vella

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Theres a few websites around for wattage calculation. This is one.
https://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

For your current setup I would say 1000w (as @Juraj mentioned) is enough here is your current setup (i guessed a few things):
1" border="0

If you were to upgrade to 5x 1TB SSD, 160GB RAM (weird number), but then you still are under 1000w:
2" border="0

2023-05-31, 23:01:26
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I didn't even try to calculate anything, with 4090, it's nVidia itself who uses 850W as minimum and 1000W as optimum for Founder's Edition model. This is both for turbo boost (FE edition is 450W by stock, 3rd party use 500W often), but also transient spikes, where even high quality PSUs (particularly Seasonic Focus, very popular range, had issue with this) would aggressively use surge protection and just shut down. With higher watt capacity, transient spikes will use more of PSU's regular capacity before they use peak power.

This is where the new ATX 3.0 PSUs offer benefits as they guarantee 3x Transient for PCIe and 2x for full system. Whether the manufacturers follow this to letter is debatable but it's there.

If this was even more expensive PC, I might be inclined to suggest 1200W, and I would suggest even 1600W for Threadripper/Xeon + 4090W, but in this case the 1000W should be good choice.

2023-06-11, 18:53:45
Reply #9

Basshunter

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj for all your help! I ended up getting a Corsair RM1000e