Author Topic: HeatHaze  (Read 5428 times)

2015-12-27, 17:49:57

grimm.ghiz

Howto add an heathaze effect with Global Volume Material to this scene?

i tried CoronaMtl as Global Volume Material but nothing happend ! :(
« Last Edit: 2015-12-28, 14:19:26 by grimm.ghiz »

2015-12-28, 13:31:33
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I do not think it is possible to achieve this effect using global volume mtl.

I think it requires some "fakes". Here is my attempt. So the "heat haze" effect is made using a cylindrical object with no caps which is at some distance from the camera, having a material with varied IOR just slightly above ground. The "mirage" is made using layered mtl, where base material is the sand and next layer is basically a mirror which is masked by falloff map which is white only at certain angles and at certain distance.

Please note that
a) the scene is pretty dirty
b) there are some crazy falloff maps used which I didn't think over very carefully
c) this setup might be a bit tricky in animation (the cylinder around camera part)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-12-28, 13:57:29
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Ha-ha, i wanted to try to crack heat haze effect for a long time, but always postponed that. Now i got it done for me :] Thanks maru, i will definitely check this out. Looks very promising!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-12-29, 12:42:08
Reply #3

grimm.ghiz

I do not think it is possible to achieve this effect using global volume mtl.

I think it requires some "fakes". Here is my attempt. So the "heat haze" effect is made using a cylindrical object with no caps which is at some distance from the camera, having a material with varied IOR just slightly above ground. The "mirage" is made using layered mtl, where base material is the sand and next layer is basically a mirror which is masked by falloff map which is white only at certain angles and at certain distance.

Please note that
a) the scene is pretty dirty
b) there are some crazy falloff maps used which I didn't think over very carefully
c) this setup might be a bit tricky in animation (the cylinder around camera part)

Thanks Maru for your reply ... but how to make this mirage?

2015-12-29, 14:12:23
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry, but what exactly is the difference between the ones you posted, and the one I posted?

The one with ship is a bit different - I can imagine doing this with a mirror plane which has some opacity mask. There is probably a million ways to simulate this. :)

2020-05-17, 11:49:56
Reply #5

mathos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maru is this still the way you would do it now? Also something must have changed since because after opening your test scene the heat effect on the cylinder does nothing - all the colors that you are plugging in are white is that supposed to by like that? Thanks

2020-06-12, 14:28:12
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Maru is this still the way you would do it now? Also something must have changed since because after opening your test scene the heat effect on the cylinder does nothing - all the colors that you are plugging in are white is that supposed to by like that? Thanks

Just select the cylinder object which is around the camera and flip its normals. I was surprised a 5-year old scene works so well anyway. :D