Author Topic: Rendering a huge image  (Read 6856 times)

2020-01-09, 10:43:28

bulyfabi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 128hi Studio
Hi all,

I have a task to upscale one of my existing render to 38211px X 7852px 720DPI (which they will upscale 10x and print). Besides replacing all the textures to 4k/8k what would be an ideal solution to render such a large image?

- split it up to 4 pieces with a script or somehow?
- sending it to a renderfarm
- trying to render it in one go on my workstation + slave ? I have a Threadripper 2990WX /64 GB workstation with a Xeon 2683 v3/ 64 GB slave
- other solution.. ?

Thanks for the help!

2020-01-09, 14:21:14
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
You are slightly above the maximum width you can even enter as render size in Max (32768px, iirc it's the maximum 3dsmax standard vfb size limiting here), so you most likely cannot use Backburner + strips for example. Quickest solution without any additional measures would probably be to render tiles as region blowups with a precalculated UHD cache file (if used as secondary solver). This script does it automatically for the entered overall size, maybe you want to give it a try:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=9312.msg60171#msg60171

I just removed the 32k cap in the UI - old crap it is :) Suggested values for your image would be using 16 tiles with overall width of 38912px (so 9728 per tile) and overall height of 8192px (2048 per tile). Since you can select the tiles to render, you could even split the job: one node rendering row 1 and 3, the other row 2 and 4 for example.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2020-01-09, 15:05:23
Reply #2

bulyfabi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 128hi Studio
perfect! thank you very much! :)

2020-01-09, 15:09:21
Reply #3

bulyfabi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 128hi Studio
ps: sorry admins, feel free to move my ass from the wrong category

2020-01-09, 18:37:15
Reply #4

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Do not mistake DPI and PPI, this big value of dpi not the same as you count in photoshop ppi, because in 1 pixel printer will print not only 1 dot but several dots depend of model of printer and count of ink. So if your printer have 4 colors cartridge and will print at 720 DPI/4=180 PPI.
Just remember 300 ppi it's photo quality what you can't see dots with eye, and usually it's never printing for marketing because it need expensive paper and too much ink. So if you hear what somebody asking 300PPI it's way too much what they will print in real.

Сorrect me if I'm wrong

2020-01-09, 19:00:03
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
No correction but "which they will upscale 10x and print" sounds like they plan a kind of gossamer print, maybe an entire fake facade to cover the building lot (covering scaffolds) or fencing. In this case the resolution sounds appropriate to me. Of course it will be overkill to print it into a flysheet, right.

Good Luck

2020-01-09, 19:15:12
Reply #6

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No correction but "which they will upscale 10x and print" sounds like they plan a kind of gossamer print, maybe an entire fake facade to cover the building lot (covering scaffolds) or fencing. In this case the resolution sounds appropriate to me. Of course it will be overkill to print it into a flysheet, right.

Good Luck
Depend of distance what they want to see print but...

2020-01-14, 10:56:49
Reply #7

bulyfabi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 128hi Studio

The print will go on a side cover of a truck and the info was the following:
SCALE 1:10 WITH 720DPI OR VECTOR GRAPHICS
The image must be created on a scale of 1:10 and with a minimum resolution of 720dpi. Real life dimensions: 1348cm x 277cm

720 PPI on 134,8cm x 27,7cm kind of made sense since they will upscale it 10 times. In the yt video chart 72 PPI falls between 2-3m of viewing distance which seems fair for a truck on the road.
Let me know if my calculations are wrong

2020-01-14, 12:21:55
Reply #8

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What is going on here, a 40K image for a truck that will be seen from distance of at least few meters ?

It's that time of a year for this discussion again : /.

The FS video is good enough answer.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-01-14, 12:36:37
Reply #9

bcgi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What is going on here, a 40K image for a truck that will be seen from distance of at least few meters ?

It's that time of a year for this discussion again : /.

The FS video is good enough answer.

I am pretty sure many of us know what you know, but the real problem is the clients barely know those things and/or they simply don't understand. Doesn't matter what you tell or what you send them (like that youtube video) they still want a 30k render. We have had that many times.

2020-01-14, 12:40:44
Reply #10

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You are mistaken ppi and dpi, 1 pixel on screen will print with 4 dots with ink (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Key color), Canon photo printer have 12 colors so it have resolution up to 10000dpi, for calculation of ppi i wrote already. If you can't understand just remember 300PPI - is photo with very small dots what you can't see with eye, but it also requires special high density paper! and tone of inks, so it will never be print on the street banner fabric. Middle quality in magazine paper ~150PPI. And for street graphics what has big scale it requires strong material, banner fabric and it prints around 36-72PPI, if you print more it can't take so much inks and will bleed.
38211px is 1378cm with 72PPI, but you can make 36PPI and i am not sure about 1/10upscale, this is without upscaling, you can upscale with AI algorithm in twice without any notice, so you can reduce resolution even more
« Last Edit: 2020-01-14, 12:47:57 by sprayer »

2020-01-14, 14:56:41
Reply #11

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
As many said, blindly following client's nonsense is not a way to go.

Even if it's client who is totally unreasonable for discussion (I've never met one like that, they all listen), you should still stay reasonable and use AI upscaling if absolutely must.
But they will never control the results or check the resolution, these people will just send it to printer and be extremely happy with result.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-01-15, 22:29:38
Reply #12

cgbeast

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We've rendered images at 10k x 10k  at 300 dpi for large billboard size prints.  Once we finishes the rendering we use onOne software to upscale as needed.  As others mentioned, anything over 300 dpi will not make a difference.  So it will be a waste of render time.

2020-01-16, 08:40:41
Reply #13

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Calm dooown everybody. The mentioned scaling of 10 can be interpreted as 720/10=72ppi, makes ~13,5m@72ppi width, which could be reasonable for something going from ground (closeup view from pavement for example) and going up a few floors if you do not want to split the image(s) to different quality sections. That's how I understood the original post.
Believe it or not, you can clearly see the difference of 30 vs. 60 ppi when printing such stuff (the reason we once switched from 12k to 24k after a test print of crops). Yes, there is a lot nonsense around regarding large scale prints but as long as there is no additional information about what should exactly happen with the image and from which distance it will be seen, it's all guesswork.

Good Luck

2020-01-16, 09:39:32
Reply #14

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Personal anecdote - I remember when I was a little boy (6 years or so), I used to go close-up to the billboards and be amazed at how huge the print dots are and how - looking at the picture from such a close distance - you cannot see the "big picture" looking at the dots :-)

I doubt anyone else ever comes so close to a billboard to ponder about this, even if the billboard starts at the street level...