General Category > Hardware

Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)

<< < (293/309) > >>

rubensabou:
Hi Guys,

I have a workstation with a Threadripper 5995wx CPU.
I have 128 GB RAM (32gb x 4) running at 3200 MHZ.
I did the Corona Benchmark in the morning (benchmark 1.3 and the new benchmark) and I got some good scores: first one 17 seconds, and the new benchmark 22 843 900 rays/s.
I've got a Cooler Master ML360 TR4, and the temps are 65 under full load.

I've installed AMD Chipset drivers, and now I get really bad scores (33 seconds, and 15 897 916 rays/s)
I have uninstalled all the AMD drivers, even restore the windows (to the point of having nothing, just right after I've installed the windows), and still getting these bad scores.

Even my other 3990X gets ~ 21 000 000 rays/sec.

I've attached the screenshots, on the left are the first results, and on the right the one that i have now.

I don't know what I am missing but maybe you have some advice.

burnin:
Have you also checked use of resources prior VS after, and observed what 'BB Windows is tasking behind your back'?

andrew1988:

same here with dual xeon 8480+
coronabench 1.3 is ok   but coronabench 10  got a very bad performance score

--- Quote from: rubensabou on 2023-12-07, 16:32:45 ---Hi Guys,

I have a workstation with a Threadripper 5995wx CPU.
I have 128 GB RAM (32gb x 4) running at 3200 MHZ.
I did the Corona Benchmark in the morning (benchmark 1.3 and the new benchmark) and I got some good scores: first one 17 seconds, and the new benchmark 22 843 900 rays/s.
I've got a Cooler Master ML360 TR4, and the temps are 65 under full load.

I've installed AMD Chipset drivers, and now I get really bad scores (33 seconds, and 15 897 916 rays/s)
I have uninstalled all the AMD drivers, even restore the windows (to the point of having nothing, just right after I've installed the windows), and still getting these bad scores.

Even my other 3990X gets ~ 21 000 000 rays/sec.

I've attached the screenshots, on the left are the first results, and on the right the one that i have now.

I don't know what I am missing but maybe you have some advice.

--- End quote ---

Juraj:
Is the dual Xeon 8480 ES, QS or Retail stepping? My older dual 8280s are extremely consistent in performance with my 3990X Threadripper for example.

It's been long time since I've used ES/QS builds, but a lot of shenanigans can happen between Windows Scheduler, Board microcode, Chipset drivers that non-retail steppings can be very sensitive to (unless manufacturers are using some more precautions, but the fault can be with motherboards as well).

What can be done to bypass these limitations is the old trick Vlado from Vray suggested almost 10 years ago, is to run multiple rendering sessions at same time. I've never personally done it, so not sure what is the best way today, I personally would try ProcessLasso, but experimentation is needed.

Of course, highly sub-optimal for single-renders, but doable solution for animations. And of course super-bad solution for workstation, but then dual-builds, even retail are generally poor workstations today.

Should we start ES/QS build thread btw :- ) ? Looks like golden age for this is upon us again lol! Lot more complicated situation with motherboards, but so many Epycs and Xeons and memory is very reasonable priced. Sadly I no longer need render-farm for my studio needs but I always loved building them.

andrew1988:
yes  it is the es E0 stepping,    I  have tested several render benchmark tools such as CinemaBench R23, Blender and Vraybenchmark,  all performed well except the Coronabenchmark v 10
I have returned these cpu and ordered retail version xeon 8470
i will test it in further

--- Quote from: Juraj on 2024-01-25, 11:09:25 ---Is the dual Xeon 8480 ES, QS or Retail stepping? My older dual 8280s are extremely consistent in performance with my 3990X Threadripper for example.

It's been long time since I've used ES/QS builds, but a lot of shenanigans can happen between Windows Scheduler, Board microcode, Chipset drivers that non-retail steppings can be very sensitive to (unless manufacturers are using some more precautions, but the fault can be with motherboards as well).

What can be done to bypass these limitations is the old trick Vlado from Vray suggested almost 10 years ago, is to run multiple rendering sessions at same time. I've never personally done it, so not sure what is the best way today, I personally would try ProcessLasso, but experimentation is needed.

Of course, highly sub-optimal for single-renders, but doable solution for animations. And of course super-bad solution for workstation, but then dual-builds, even retail are generally poor workstations today.

Should we start ES/QS build thread btw :- ) ? Looks like golden age for this is upon us again lol! Lot more complicated situation with motherboards, but so many Epycs and Xeons and memory is very reasonable priced. Sadly I no longer need render-farm for my studio needs but I always loved building them.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version