Poll

picking a group should...

pick only the actually clicked object
1 (16.7%)
pick entire group
5 (83.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: CMasking adds child objects of selected object  (Read 9252 times)

2017-04-05, 13:56:29
Reply #15

Nik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • HQ Details
It's not really a group problem. It's about parent links. If exclude list contains only parent then all his childrens will be excluded as well. This is only Corona behaviour. Objects became excluded even if they are not in exclude list, this is a problem.

It's okay if you have GroupHead in list and all GroupMembers became excluded as well. But this is okay only for Groups, not for all hierarchical systems in 3dsmax :)

2017-04-05, 14:20:13
Reply #16

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-04-05, 14:49:00
Reply #17

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
- If the group object of an open group is clicked then the whole group should be selected (as Max does it).

Hmm as Max does it? Single click selects group bracket only in this case, double click selects bracket + child objects (=group content, internally handled as links afaik). But maybe you are on 2017 and it´s different there or it´s configurable (haven´t installed it yet). But as already confirmed it´s more about what happens at render time.

@Nik: Yes, agree, this was the reason for making a difference between "container" objects and hierarchy in my first post. It is to expect that if I have a "container" like object in some list that it´s content is also affected. This leads to no confusion imho and you benefit from dynamic updating if you add something to a group or change your scattered objects. So instead of

this is okay only for Groups, not for all hierarchical systems in 3dsmax :)

I would slightly change it to "this is okay and a nice feature for Container like objects, but not for all hierarchical systems in 3dsmax."

That old problem how to handle ForestObjects (and CoronaScatter!) in masks can be considered just the same way. Because it´s a container for scattered objects:

1. Selecting the ForestObject/CoronaScatter (Container ) results in a mask with all what´s in the container (all scattered objects)
2. Selecting a single source object would mask only instances inside the ForestObject/CoronaScatter of exactly that object

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-04-05, 15:11:44
Reply #18

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@ Frood - yes you're right about group bracket selection. My mistake :)

Regards