Author Topic: Render Legion and Corona Join Forces with Chaos Group  (Read 87915 times)

2017-08-31, 00:03:15
Reply #225

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It'd be interesting to know why ChaosG. didn't basically do a Corona, separate from Vray, to compete. I know many got tired of asking for something like that years ago in your forum, even before Corona came out. Was it too expensive? Don't get it.
Corona's team has a fresh perspective on the rendering problems

Right. I didn't consider the talent factor :).
Well, best of lucks to both teams.

2017-08-31, 06:02:22
Reply #226

Seth Richardson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It'd be interesting to know why ChaosG. didn't basically do a Corona, separate from Vray, to compete. I know many got tired of asking for something like that years ago in your forum, even before Corona came out. Was it too expensive? Don't get it.
We considered it, of course. Ultimately we decided that we didn't want to split our efforts and its best to concentrate on what we already have. Besides, and this is actually the more important reason, my mind is wired in a certain way and I'm not sure that if we started something new, it wouldn't turn out the same way. Corona's team has a fresh perspective on the rendering problems and I can't really match that. Which, again, is why I would much rather work with them than against them.

Best regards,
Vlado

Im not really  worried about any of this crap in least bit.  I love both vray and corona. 
Vray in MODO is literally plug and play the only deep part you get into is shading.... as with any render engine... even corona.  My question to you is will you collaborate with the corona team and get corona into MODO as well.  You guys did one of the best integrations I have ever used with MODO and Vray... far better than max and maya in my opinion.  So will the knowledge of working with MODO SDK to integrate Corona happen?  That was a previous roadblock here is no one knew how to do it basically nor did they have a dev for it.

I also really like the PBR shaders in Corona.  I am hoping since some of that DMC loving has been sent their way.... they will send some of their shading model goodness vray's way.

2017-09-01, 04:54:27
Reply #227

JViz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Behance
it's shocking how people are shocked!! did you really believe you were part of some "family"... this is business. they will try to "maximize" profit every turn of the road.

at this level, business becomes like politics. it's dry efficient and PRAGMATIC.

we JUST got out from under the boot of intel. they had the entire computing world in the stone age for nearly a decade just because they could. just because they can sell a 5% increase in performance each year or so for a new "generation"

go look what AMD has done. they dissolved or at least they are in the process of dissolving Intel's monopoly over the pc processors market. with the help of Jim Keller who is a genius and an innovator.

look at Fstorm. the best looking renderer ever made. stuck in a lawsauit seemingly but - hopefully not - forever.

it's always sad to see innovators and pioneers get sucked into the world of "money" and profit maximization. get rich people but don't make it just about that.

now this deal will be made to look pretty but there is a good chance it's very ugly underneath all of this makeup.
Although a purist, my work is anything but.
https://www.behance.net/ImageInnate

2017-09-03, 11:58:35
Reply #228

indexofrefraction

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok we heard it all: the ease of use is important, and the price tag for some.

but i think even more important are good concepts, professional software development and
a superb integration in the host application. a lot of renderers badly fail in this and deliver never
more than an alpha or beta stage, even if they call it release.
with a bad integration you waste your time with workarounds, not to mention the frustration
to work with a sloppy coded tool that doesnt even understand main concepts of the host app.

in this sense i love coronas transparent software development with public road maps!
a public bug reporting website wouldnt be bad, too. even if moderated / just for information
hope you keep that up.. its great!

2017-09-03, 12:20:59
Reply #229

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
in this sense i love coronas transparent software development with public road maps!
a public bug reporting website wouldnt be bad, too. even if moderated / just for information

Have you seen this: https://corona-renderer.com/bugs/view_all_bug_page.php ?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-09-03, 16:36:00
Reply #230

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
a superb integration in the host application.

Yes! This was a great surprise about corona.
When I was asking how to do certain things (used to Vray, with all due respect) the response was usually to use Max's own stuff.
From not having a separate VFB, to just using the bitmap map to use an HDRI. It felt weird at first, but in the end is better I think.
And not being afraid of using opacity (for some reason it was always slow with Vray)...
Many of those little things aren't just good UI. It's really good integration and common sense.

2017-09-05, 07:55:37
Reply #231

indexofrefraction

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Have you seen this: https://corona-renderer.com/bugs/view_all_bug_page.php ?

... whee... i didnt know ! thats GREAT!

2017-09-08, 02:47:50
Reply #232

3di

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It was sounding like great news until I saw the word acquired :(  If render legion had kept a 51% share, leaving them in full control of their own future/development, then it would have been perfect.   

Fingers crossed the product will get better as a result of the new ownership, and not the opposite.   I think it's safe to say though that if Corona is to remain cheaper than Vray...(and probably even if it doesn't), then it will never be allowed to become a better, faster, easier to use, and a more feature rich renderer than Vray (which it was on its way to accomplishing)....which makes me wonder, if I don't make the switch to Vray, am I always going to be using Chaos's second best renderer.

I hope it all works out well for Ondra and his team, but it seems risky if they're hoping to remain the masters of Corona's destiny.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-08, 02:56:42 by 3di »

2017-09-08, 04:03:56
Reply #233

hoppergrass

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the two have been playing leap frog for a while now, now its become a three-leg race. Lets hope that it doesn't become as awkward to compete

2017-09-08, 16:32:15
Reply #234

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Whatever you do don't remove the smiley face

2017-09-11, 14:48:27
Reply #235

l.croxton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It was sounding like great news until I saw the word acquired :(  If render legion had kept a 51% share, leaving them in full control of their own future/development, then it would have been perfect.   

Fingers crossed the product will get better as a result of the new ownership, and not the opposite.   I think it's safe to say though that if Corona is to remain cheaper than Vray...(and probably even if it doesn't), then it will never be allowed to become a better, faster, easier to use, and a more feature rich renderer than Vray (which it was on its way to accomplishing)....which makes me wonder, if I don't make the switch to Vray, am I always going to be using Chaos's second best renderer.

I hope it all works out well for Ondra and his team, but it seems risky if they're hoping to remain the masters of Corona's destiny.

I guess try thinking of it like owning two sports teams in a competitive league. You have double the chance of winning and so if Corona does surpass VRAY, they own Corona so they don't loose. If anything they have expanded market share and its in their own interest that Corona does well. It works for Corona I guess in the sense of they will have far greater resources etc. The only thing for concern is that we see price increases...

2017-09-12, 16:15:25
Reply #236

Tanakov

• Active Users
  • Corona is faster than diarrhea
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/Gringott

2017-09-15, 20:58:07
Reply #237

karklinskarlis1993

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hurry guys- backup your BETA installs, lol

corona was my huge escape from vray for good. and here it comes again. really wish you the best corona devs!

2017-09-26, 21:34:45
Reply #238

marqueso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona was like fresh air after leaving Chaos Group, i really hope this doesnt take away the developers contact and listening to its customers. If corona starts to suck then i will be on the lookout for the next best. Please dont turn this into an Autodesk type thing where the product stagnates but is released as a totally new version every year.

2017-09-27, 09:54:01
Reply #239

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Corona was like fresh air after leaving Chaos Group, i really hope this doesnt take away the developers contact and listening to its customers. If corona starts to suck then i will be on the lookout for the next best. Please dont turn this into an Autodesk type thing where the product stagnates but is released as a totally new version every year.
No worries! These things won't change. It wouldn't make any sense. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us