Author Topic: OpenSubdiv and Corona...  (Read 3543 times)

2015-03-23, 12:45:02

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Hello,

I am not sure if this is a real question or not, but does Corona render OpenSubdiv surfaces?

2015-03-23, 12:49:59
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yes, it does render, but only through 3ds Max. I will see if it could be optimized in the future to get the same result, but with less memory.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-23, 13:17:39
Reply #2

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Ok, thanks very much!

2015-03-24, 05:27:52
Reply #3

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Sorry, some more questions regarding OpenSubdiv...does Corona natively tessellate  OSD surfaces based on the view (breakdown the surface into micropolygons)? Or is the number of iterations set on the object basically dictate how many polys the object has, no matter how close to the camera it is?

I guess what I am trying to get at is what would be a "better" approach at producing good looking tight rounded corners on hard surface objects:
* The rounded corner functionality in Corona, which I am guessing is a shader/normal trick.
* OSD and if native rendertime tessellation works in Corona.
* The traditional edge loops/meshsmooth old school method.

I realise there are pros and cons between them all, but I was just wondering if you had any thoughts on this?

2015-03-24, 09:35:41
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
corona does not currently tesselate anything, its all in 3ds max.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-24, 10:45:24
Reply #5

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
IMHO the OpenSubdiv method is the better one, but with a downside wich is the amount of polygons, you need to increase the subdivision levels quite a bit to get the desired result, you can mix this with a light version of the old school technique of support edges, and you will end with a pretty clean mesh with very few support edges.

But in the end I'm very happy with OSD, even with the amount of polygons needed, what we need in corona is native support with OSD adaptivity, adaptivity is not still implemented in max either, but in the future I'm sure OSD will be the best way to work, forget about chamfers and support edges that make a simple mesh impossible to modify/manage.

Cheers!

2015-03-24, 14:59:07
Reply #6

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Thanks for the advice!