Author Topic: Calculate Bloom & Glare on final pass ONLY  (Read 1870 times)

2022-08-18, 08:20:05

jtmorris

• Users
    • View Profile
Bloom & Glare Feature Request - Calculate on Final Pass

(apologies if this is already possible!).

It would be great if we could set the Bloom & Glare to only be calculated after the final pass is completed, so that it is not running continuously throughout the rendering process and using up resources that could be used toward the cleaning up the image.

For instance when I rendering an animation, I'd like to be able to set the bloom/glare parameters, click render, and only have the B&G pass calculated and saved on the final pass for each frame.

Thank you for your consideration!

2022-09-02, 15:51:21
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, this does seem to make sense, but...

so that it is not running continuously throughout the rendering process and using up resources that could be used toward the cleaning up the image

...do you have some measurements that would confirm that B&G is really significantly impacting render times?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-09-02, 19:24:45
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think it would make most sense to load B&G calculations on GPU, leaving CPU all available for rendering.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-11-07, 11:11:22
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I did a quick test here, rendered an image in 4k with LightMix, denoising, and bloom and glare on vs off.
The time difference was 2 seconds (10 min render time limit, ~12min total time spent).
The rays/s difference was 2.8%.

I understand this has some impact on the overall render speed, especially when rendering animations, but at the same time I don't think it's significant. If anyone disagrees, or has a sample scene which renders much slower with b&g enabled, please feel free to share here.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-11-07, 12:04:41
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I may be wrong but B&G update during rendering has already been optimized to be suspended if 1. VFB is minimized 2. network rendering is used. Basically a B&G update should only happen if you actually "see" the VFB. I was able to verify (1), not sure about network rendering. But I remember those optimizations have been there since the first dailies featuring B&G.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2022-11-23, 16:48:49
Reply #5

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
I think it would make most sense to load B&G calculations on GPU, leaving CPU all available for rendering.

+1 I think it's very slow in most of our scenes even though we have 3990X cpu in the workstations. Often I click it off to compare, but feel it doesn't react, then click again and apparently there was just a lag, so I ended up turning it on again ;)

So having the GPU do this would maybe make it snappier also just the calculation?

Or maybe a setting to only recalculate bloom+glare pr X pass rendered so it will be easier/snappier to turn on/off and compare. Now it needs to calculate everytime you turn it off/on.

A bonus thing to this we would love was for corona to be able to keep the bloom and glare on the entire image after we have done a region render on an already completed render. I.e. "clear VFB" is turned off, we see a small thing that needs to be rerendered. We do a region and then cry that bloom and glare is now only on that region and we have to rerender entire image once again :)
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog