Author Topic: 25k texture test with Corona V5  (Read 5830 times)

2014-03-20, 03:12:10

hunter1st

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • hunter1st
Thought it might be worth a post for anyone interested. I don't know if any of you guys have tested 20k+ textures in vray but if you have you'll know it doesn't bode too well. Here's a close up of my 25k wall board texture in corona. not to shabby :)

2014-03-20, 06:05:35
Reply #1

Dervish

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like the details, gives me some ideas. :)

Is the 25k texture a UVW unwrap or just a 25kx25k tiled?

Just wondering, what the usages would be for. I have used 8k, tiled and unwrapped, both as Jpeg and PNG, but they caused ram issues. thanks

2014-03-20, 10:07:22
Reply #2

Alessandro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • DotLab Srl
I can't fully understand.
You are using a 25k pixel width texture to obtain a 3k pixel width image. Ok, the wall seems real, or, better, is real....I mean, it's a flat picture, I think you can have same result using your 25k picture as a layer in photoshop behind the scene (resizing it...). What is the reason why you make Corona to reduce your picture size instead of reduce it with photoshop and then use a coherent size bitmap for your render? The only reason I can find is that you need a 25K render, do you? Or is just a test? I'm also curious to see a non-flat view (I mean not perpendicular view) with your 25k texture, to see how it works with bump or displace or gloss etc. etc...
BTW, it's just to talk about it, and to learn together.
Alessandro
My Ducati or a render with Corona.....mmm, hard question!

2014-03-20, 15:19:53
Reply #3

hunter1st

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • hunter1st
hi guys. firstly Dervish. the texture is just a tiles 25k image made up from over 20 highress images all put together in photoshop to create one huge map.

yeah the bigger you go the more time you have to wait during rendering but if youre prepared to wait then the result is pretty amazing.

The problem with most high-res maps circulating the net is that they are just one photo of a piece of wood duplicated dozens of times until its a large size. like CG textures for example.

@Alessandro. I'm not really sure what your saying here. are you intending to say that people should only use textures no bigger than the final output size? If i changed my map size to 3k for the 3k render it would just look blury.  The larger your texture is the better it will look, no matter what your render size is.

I've sent another render so ill post one later.

2014-03-20, 16:04:55
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
The larger your texture is the better it will look, no matter what your render size is.

This is not entirely true, because 3dsmax/Corona will downsample your textures when rendering. I would say using textures where each texel spans 0.5 pixels is the limit, higher resolutions will probably have no effect.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-20, 16:16:30
Reply #5

Alessandro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • DotLab Srl
Hunter1st, I meant that 25k seems to be very exaggerated for 3k rendered. As Ondra's written, I'm using 2x as max size, but it's just my way, don't really want to teach anything to anyone ;) just want to have also your thought about it.
But, we can have a test, you could resize your texture to about 6k (referred to the viewed part of the map, of course) and check the differences between using 25k and 6k, time/quality benefit.
btw, thx for sharing!

2014-03-20, 16:37:00
Reply #6

hunter1st

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • hunter1st
hey guys thanks for commenting, Its just a test really so ignore the size of this render. The final will be 5k or above. The camera will be pulled further out too.

I think corona does an amazing job at sampling the texture because my 6k version does look noticeably worse. I'll re-render this same spot with a 6-8k texture and show the difference.

For larger establishing shots I think i could easily get away with a 5k version but for close up cameos, that extra detail does poke through I find.

I was mainly just checking it worked to start with. as vray doesn't render at all. on my computer anyway.

2014-03-25, 23:11:57
Reply #7

hunter1st

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • hunter1st
Hi guys, heres some more recent corona v6 tests. I changed the texture size of the rear wall to 10k but used the hdri loader instead of the standard bitmap loader. @10k the map still looks great to be fair and saves me a lot of render time. Really enjoying using corona atm!

This scene is pretty rough rite now.

« Last Edit: 2014-03-26, 00:19:07 by hunter1st »

2014-03-26, 09:19:48
Reply #8

Alessandro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • DotLab Srl
Are you going to have a post production for these images? I think Corona renders are very usable in post, you can work a lot to obtain exactly what you need.

2014-03-26, 22:59:24
Reply #9

hunter1st

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • hunter1st
Are you going to have a post production for these images? I think Corona renders are very usable in post, you can work a lot to obtain exactly what you need.

Hi Alessandro, Yeah not to worry, the final images will be comped in after effects :)

2014-03-27, 09:19:44
Reply #10

Alessandro

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • DotLab Srl
I've got no doubts, I've seen your visualizations in your website, I'm just curious to see what can you do with these images ;)

I really think that renders made with Coronas let us to have a great editing in post, it create a very good image to work on. Btw, often the quality is so high to need just a little curve adjustment. Maybe we can start a tread to talk about our preferred post production technique ...