Author Topic: Random 'buckets' missing when using caustics...  (Read 2854 times)

2020-06-08, 08:56:33

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I have set up a caustics pass render for just the eyes of a character. Everything in the setup works fine except for what I can only describe as random buckets that go missing every time I render the image even though nothing changes. As in, I hit render, and one bucket will be missing. Then I hit render again, and another bucket will be missing.

A description of the attached images:
  • 1_viewport.png - The geo that is included in the render.
  • 2_beautyPass.png - The beauty pass. No caustics are enabled in the beauty pass, just the caustic pass. This image is included just for reference.
  • 3_causticAOV.png - The caustic pass. In the top right corner a 'bucket' seems to be missing.
  • 4_causticAOVExpose.png - The caustic pass exposed up. Checking to see if any data does actually exist in the missing 'bucket'.
  • 5_causticAOVRerender.png - Nothing in the scene was altered in any way. Rendered the image again after the previous one finished, and a different 'bucket' is now missing information in the lower right area.

2020-06-08, 16:48:36
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This is because caustics are currently not rendered where they are not "needed". So if some area with caustics is not visible in the beauty pass, it is not rendered, and this makes rendering faster. This is something like adaptivity for the caustics.
While this is perfectly fine for most beauty renders, I can perfectly understand that the caustics sometimes need to be extracted for some post-adjustments, and then it fails.
I will find out what are the exact plans regarding this, and whether there is some way to disable this specific feature under the hood.

We already have it reported by other users:
(Internal ID=460381847)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-06-08, 18:04:47
Reply #2

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Thanks for letting me know. I have also attached the caustic pass AOV frame sequence for the example shot I posted above as a video file, in case you were wondering what this looks like in motion.

Thanks!

2020-06-08, 20:05:48
Reply #3

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Now I'm being greedy: if there is a fix for this that will be available sometime in the next month or two, any chance for a hotfix for v5? I am about 85% done on my animated short film, and would rather not want to upgrade major versions of the renderer just in case anything looks different.

2020-06-09, 15:06:11
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'll see what exactly we can do here, and will return to you.

2020-06-18, 16:35:09
Reply #5

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

It looks like this was caused by some caustics optimisations.

We have a workaround for this now. For the time being you can disable the "Caustics Adaptivity" checkbox in the advanced caustics settings. We will carry on looking into this and try to find a more permenant solution.

This in present in the v6 DB from 2020-06-18 onwards.

Thanks,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-06-19, 17:38:04
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
P.S. you need to enable the devel / experimental rollout first - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000021288