Author Topic: CoronaLight - colour temperature and light intensity relation  (Read 3616 times)

2016-07-31, 15:13:21

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Just noticed that changing colour temperature of CoronaLight, also changes light level quite significantly. Is this expected behaviour or a bug. If former, then i would like to know what causes that?

p.s. going below 3000K light dims dramaticaly and going below 2000K it almost completely dissapears.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-08-01, 11:19:53
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yes, this is by design, I remember doing it this way for some reason that I cannot remember ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-01, 12:03:00
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
:]
Maybe it has something to do with fact that IRL incandescent lightbulbs change its colour temperature while dimming?

2016-08-01, 12:44:23
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
AFAIK it is implemented so that the brightest color component is always intensity 1 while other compoenents dim to make the light colored
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-01, 15:03:46
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Wouldnt it be better to make brightest component >1 and dimmest <1, so average would always be equal to 1? If that's possible, of course. Not a big deal if not.

2016-08-02, 02:03:08
Reply #5

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
The colour and exposure changes that a light experiences when raising its temperature is something that happens naturally IRL. In my opinion, Corona should not change this relationship. If you want bright lights of a certain colour choosing one of the other modes is the answer.

« Last Edit: 2016-08-02, 03:13:36 by Njen »

2016-08-11, 18:48:54
Reply #6

samuelAB

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Your statement is inaccurate, this only makes sense for fluorescent lights. 3ds (or Revit?) max provides a check mark for this (dimming light changes color temperature).

For LEDs and halogen lights, there is no relationship between a change in light intensity and a change in color temperature. Only a small subset of lamps (fluorescent) do this, so it's almost irrelevant, especially since fluorescent can't dim.