Author Topic: Has anyone tried rendering any complex animation with corona yet?  (Read 15646 times)

2016-02-15, 11:52:08
Reply #15

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Also, my stupid client recognized the random noise, but not the static noise. =)
That is a strong argument. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-15, 12:01:29
Reply #16

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com

2016-02-15, 13:13:12
Reply #17

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
All of our work is rendered with Corona, you can check it in our app for iOS (Bone-Studio in the app store) and you can check one of the firsts videos we did in our website (we have the app more updated than the website):

http://bone-studio.com/en/?portfolio=casacom-gigabit-pof

We also have a 3d animated character integrated for a tv series pilot episode, btu it's private yet, I'm willing to share it but I don't have green light yet.
So far not a single problem rendering complex 3d animations with motion blur and dof in Corona, it has been a lot more stable than the old mental ray or iRay, the only advice I will give you is to try to cache as much as possible as alembic or point cache, this will make your renders more stable, but I think this is a cross-platform advice, no matter your render engine :)

Cheers!

2016-02-15, 21:29:26
Reply #18

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
In my personal opinion, in fly-through animations, I prefer static noise, instead random noise. =) It's much more pleasant. With random noise on every frame, it looks live we have some "animals, bugs, insect" on the wall )) Also, my stupid client recognized the random noise, but not the static noise. =)

Hmm.... for me, static noise is just terrible. If you have a little random noise then that's at least somewhat like film grain, which most people are very familiar with seeing in motion pictures. Static noise just looks terrible on walls for example. I can't see any scenario where you'd want to use it, and as someone earlier said, most de-noising algorithms won't work with static noise either.

We've done quite a bit of animation work in Corona recently and we'll be publishing it very soon. Here's one for now:

http://atelieryork.co.uk/seaford-court/
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2016-02-15, 22:51:42
Reply #19

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But in your video, on the fireplace, the random noise it terrible =) In my opinion, with static noise, you can reduce the noise flickering =)
Anyway, stunning lighting! O_O

2016-02-16, 09:38:02
Reply #20

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
But in your video, on the fireplace, the random noise it terrible =) In my opinion, with static noise, you can reduce the noise flickering =)
Anyway, stunning lighting! O_O

Thank you ;) Yes, I agree that there are some noise issues in that shot, on the fireplace. But I don't think it would look any better static. It just needed more passes. We encountered some issues with incorrect bump mapping values as a result of going from 1.3 daily to 1.2.1 on a render farm, which caused this, so we did our best to re-render and de-noise. I think it's an acceptable amount of noise but it could be better, definitely. It seems that issue is now gone forever from 1.3 onwards too, which is good :)
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2016-02-16, 13:24:52
Reply #21

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mmm.. look at this gif. Static noise is more pleasant that random noise. =)

2016-02-16, 13:33:32
Reply #22

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Well that's a crazy amount of noise - far more than you'd ever allow for a final render, I imagine.

The reality is that you want minimal noise in your work no matter what you're doing, and when you do have a little noise still visible in some areas it is always better that it's random, so it looks more like film grain and is compatible with noise reduction software as well, so at least you have a chance to deal with it in post.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2016-02-16, 19:02:13
Reply #23

jasond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've rendered lengthy animations with both with locked and unlocked noise and as Alex was saying, it looks more like film grain... which people are used to seeing. Static noise appears strange because it's atypical.

Do a few tests with a denoiser plugin in post. It works better with unlocked noise as it samples more than one frame, detecting what changes and interpolates the smoothing. Then you just tweak it if you need to. If you lock the pattern, the results aren't as good.

Here's how Red Giant explains their Denoiser II plugin http://www.redgiant.com/docs/doc-on/denoiser-II/howitworks.php

2016-02-17, 09:23:00
Reply #24

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks ill take a look. Ive seen a fair few people mention that redgiant plugin. I have a few of their other plugins. Ill see if they offer a trial and give it a go.

Thanks
Jack

2016-02-18, 11:01:52
Reply #25

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For us the thing is that up to certain level of noise static noise is less awkward, but when you reach certain level of quality static noise seems weird and random noise feels more like grain, so if you are going to let the frames to refine up to a good level of noise then random noise will feel better.

We always use random noise.

Cheers.

2016-02-29, 05:04:10
Reply #26

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
I'm working on an animated short film that is aiming for a photoreal look. 'Cyan Eyed' is a steampunk themed action adventure with a few hero characters (some with clothing and hair) and lot's of detail. There is currently not too much to show in the way of renders, but you can check out some of the concept art that has gone in to it and extrapolate from there how much work will be needed to complete it:
http://www.cyan-eyed.com/

To follow the development of this short, make sure to 'Like' the Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/Nezui/

Thanks!

2016-02-29, 05:08:30
Reply #27

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Actually, I can share two images recently rendered with Corona. These two robots are two of the main characters of the film. There is only a default grey shader applied to all geo except for a few select surfaces that have simple glass and light material shaders (proper look dev is coming).

Enjoy!