Author Topic: How to use UDIM tiles in Corona?  (Read 4690 times)

2021-01-08, 13:22:44

3Divo

• Users
    • View Profile
hi - I am trying to use UDIM tiles in Corona but not sure how to set this up. I know there is this UV-Tiling section in the Bitmap Shader, but how do I load several Maps into it? Which Mode setting would I need to use (in this case I have 2 tiles on 1001 & 1002). What is the File Pattern slot for?
I cannot find any description for this in the corona help....

2021-01-10, 23:27:10
Reply #1

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This sounds like C4D's Multi-Shader tool. NOT Corona's multishader as this is more like the Variation Shader.
Does this look like what you're trying to do? You could add a tile as a mesh to a Cloner, then utilize the Multi Shader to have different textures randomly dispersed throughout your grid of clones.

2021-01-11, 14:28:29
Reply #2

3Divo

• Users
    • View Profile
thanks for your reply! But I am not looking a random dispersion - I probably described that badly in my post.
I simply wanted to use UDIM workflow with Corona, which I haven't done before. My understanding was, that C4d cannot handle UDIM tiles, but Corona is able to do so. I thought this would work somehow with the settings in the UV-Tile settings in the bitmap shader.
But I have learned meanwhile that you can assign & distribute the UV tiles simply with C4d selection-tags and the Texture-tags (tiling off & offset to 100%).

I would still be curios to know what these UV-Tile settings (mode: UDIM) in the bitmap shader are made for...

2021-01-11, 15:23:16
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
& There's a plugin support for Corona: UDIM Importer ($49)

2021-01-12, 18:44:55
Reply #4

3Divo

• Users
    • View Profile
yes - looks like a cool plugIn if you do a lot UDIM stuff...

2021-01-14, 17:56:46
Reply #5

3Divo

• Users
    • View Profile
I finally got the answer I was looking for from Benjamin of Corona-Support. In case anyone else is interested, I am quoting his instructions. In the 1st paragraph he describes the method that works in C4d independently of the render engine. The disadvantage of this method is that you have to create a material for each UDIM tile and distribute this with selection sets. The 2nd paragraph describes the method I was looking for, where the Corona Bitmap shader can distribute the UV tiles over several UDIM tiles...
One thing to note: in the viewport the Corona material only shows the texture parts of the 0-1 tile, and not of the additional tiles.

Attached is also the file he sent to me.

Thanks again to Benjamin!

1)
There are several ways to do it; however, it is worth mentioning that it is not a Corona renderer feature; it is a C4D feature/workflow.
If you have a single object with its appropriate selection tags (each one representing a UV tile), then you can just create a separate material for each texture (one material loading the "1001" texture maps, another separate material with the texture maps "1002", and so on) and apply each material to your object. (don't forget to assign the appropriate selection tags on each material tag)
After applying all material tags to your object, select a material tag, go to the attributes panel and uncheck the option "Tile" (below the "Add Material" option). Right there, the last step is to increase the "Offset U" value by 100% depending on the UV tile/material. I mean, if the second tag material represents the UV tile "1002", then the "Offset U" must be 100%, if the third material tag represents the UV tile "1003", then the "Offset U" value must be 200%, and so on (same goes if you have more than 10 tiles, which means you'll be using UV tiles "1011, 1012, 1013", etc., in this case, you'll also need to increase the "Offset V" value as well).
The above instructions are to do it manually, but if you prefer, some plugins can do it almost automatically; you just need to do a simple search for it on google.

2)
If you want to use the UDIM functionality from the Corona bitmap, you just need to set the Tiling mode to UDIM, set the name pattern (so the node can look for that naming pattern in the tex folder), and then set the number of U and V tiles.
In cases like this one, you just need to set a single material, and the Corona bitmap will take care of looking for the texture maps (no need for multi-texture shaders or something like that).
I'm attaching a sample scene to illustrate what I'm talking about, hopefully, so this can be clear enough to understand hehe.
(the scene contains one object using different materials and adjusting the UDIMs as previously mentioned, using the C4D method, and the other object uses the Corona Bitmap tiling method)
« Last Edit: 2021-01-14, 18:05:43 by 3Divo »

2021-01-17, 20:54:13
Reply #6

arte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1

Thanks for sharing the information. I knew the first way, because it's kind of obvious, but I didn't know about the second one, the one in the Corona bitmap shader!

Thanks! :)

2022-06-22, 09:31:42
Reply #7

wasfrans

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you so much!