Author Topic: Crashing MAX, when closing Corona FrameBuffer  (Read 3372 times)

2018-03-24, 20:16:36

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
Hello,
I experienced some immediate crash of 3dsmax - disappearing instantly - when closing the corona frame buffer after i canceled a renderjob.

This behaviour i can reproduce on different machines - usually it happens, when i cancel a renderjob over 3dsmax-renderprogress dialog. When pressing 'cancel' and then closing the Framebuffer at the "close window icon" while the whole progress of ending the job and sorting cache etc. isn't finished at all. First i couldnt reproduce it constantly - but it seems when having some bigger scenes and lots of network-maps (unc path) etc. it happens quite regular.

Using Max2017 and 2018 with corona 1.7.3

I'm not sure if its just my set-up on both of my workstations or if its something you could reproduce as well.

2018-03-26, 15:35:02
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, we will need:
-exact reproduction steps
-minidump from the crash
-(if possible) a scene where this is happening
Here is how to get a minidump + other information on reporting issues: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-03-26, 18:34:49
Reply #2

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
there is no minidump available...

max disappears from task-manager without a warning or bug-reporting.

I can upload a scene when I'm back in the office... but as far as I know it seems to be connected to my excessive use of renderelements ... also i couldn't reproduce it on my laptop. Maybe its also related to the batch camera script (http://sergepogosyan.com/batchcam/) I'm using with corona. originally its meant to work with vray, but works quite flawless with corona as well.
On my workstations I'm using an older version of that script - I should maybe test the new version on my workstations, where this error appears...
I'll give you feedback on this, when I was able to test it. But I'm not sure if that is related ... to the crash.

the steps are quite easy... it is rendering
you cancel on the progress-dialog after some passes are done
then try to close the frame buffer window
and usually (not every time) when "cleaning up" shows in progress bar and you try to close the frame buffer window. max crashes without a notice.

so figured its not as reproducible than i thought :(

2018-03-26, 18:41:38
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The linked webpage has info under "2. Crashes, Errors, Freezes - Collecting the Minidump File if Autodesk Error Report Window is not Available" for when there is no crash window (ie when Max just disappears).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-03-26, 18:50:10
Reply #4

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
this won't work as well, as there is no 3dsmax process in the task manager anymore. Max isn't really freezing or anything - just for the time, when you cancle the renderprocess and it needs some time to cleaning up.
After that it completly disappears from the task-manager of running processes. it is just not running anymore.

2018-03-28, 10:50:49
Reply #5

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
unfortunately,

it is not so consistent with testing - when i specifically try the steps the crash doesn't occur right now.
I'll keep an eye on this and try to figure out the behavior, when it occurs again.

Sorry -  I thought someone else had similar experience with instant max-crash when closing frame-buffer.

2022-02-25, 14:25:50
Reply #6

plasticmonster81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Happens with mine too! Instantly closes everything, no dump, no autosave and just disappears.
Any solution so far?

2022-02-25, 15:32:55
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Happens with mine too! Instantly closes everything, no dump, no autosave and just disappears.
Any solution so far?

Since the previous post was from 2018, you'd need to tell us which version of Max, Corona, etc. you are using please.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us