Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1088635 times)

2013-03-18, 22:22:46
Reply #45

rogerBacon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Got it. The script doesn't work if the multi/sub has only one material.

2013-03-18, 22:30:14
Reply #46

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Hm, sorry, i still can't reproduce it...

this configuration works too (see below)

Could you either describe exactly what you're doing in this materials (or save me a matlib) ?
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-03-18, 22:31:34
Reply #47

rogerBacon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not nested. Just 1 multi/sub with only 1 material (arch&design).

Edit: Image attached. The script doesn't convert that arch&design.
« Last Edit: 2013-03-18, 22:38:52 by rogerBacon »

2013-03-18, 22:56:36
Reply #48

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Indeed a bug! Thanks for posting. It's a little.. weird bug since the Script didn't take into account that there could be materials with exactly 1 submaterials in it ;) Anyways, it's fixed and you can load v.12 from the link on page 1

changelog:
*v0.12
  • fixed Multi-Sub-Object material bug when submaterial number is set to 1

2013-03-18, 23:25:10
Reply #49

rogerBacon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No, thank YOU! Great work!

Any plans to support the Autodesk Materials? (which I think they are arch&design under the hood)

2013-03-24, 02:53:01
Reply #50

yagi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello people......... ludvik. why havent you prepared and released an in-depth tutorial for corona yet? something like the Esherick house you did with mental ray and a couple of scenes to go with it would be great to see. Also an advanced material tutorial of the basic ones like :glass,concrete,cloth,leaf,wood,metals,water,plastic,leather and rubber would be appreciated even if you cant integrate into 3ds max yet eg. archshaders.....dont say its too early and its only still in alpha stages so we dont need to do these yet. if corona has to excel over other renderers when its released commercially it would be to win at its alpha stages convincingly. im not new into archviz but even though corona seems easy its still difficult to achieve great results like some of the gallery works and its due to lack of great tutorials and resources(material converter is great but not perfect)......i repeat, its not too early to do these things!!! peace

2013-03-28, 12:08:41
Reply #51

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Ok, new version! I call it the "ForestPack"-release :)

Some important things:
  • I changed the Vray2sidedMtl conversion. It works a lot better with plants and foliage stuff from forestpack libraries but may lead to different results for lampshades or stuff you would normally do in another way. Currently there is no switch for the two different methods but I will include it if it's requested.
  • FastSSS and FastSSS2 are supported in a very basic way (it will return the basic overall/diffuse color in a new CoronaMtl)
  • HINT: the converter may have problems to obtain materials directly from forestpack objects (e.g. when you use a preset). The better way to to it is to drag all used materials onto a free slot in the material editor and run the script afterwards. This will guarantee that all materials are properly converted. In the meantime I will try to find a better solution.

changelog:
*v0.13
  • Changed Vray2SidedMtl conversion (better translucency: DiffuseColor of orig. mat)
  • Very basic temporary VrayFastSSS and VrayFastSSS2 conversion methods (returns CoronaMtl with sss overall color; will be replaced when Corona has proper SSS)
  • added optional VertexColor map 'conversion' (returns default medium gray coronaSolidTex)
  • added basic VrayOverrideMtl conversion (returns baseMaterial); thanks to Slazzo for the input!

Any plans to support the Autodesk Materials? (which I think they are arch&design under the hood)
You mean those mysterious Pro-Materials? Funny thing: I don't have them here, maybe I did not install them. Currently there are no plans to do these but I will have a look at what-these-things are and decide after that ;).

[...] (material converter is great but not perfect)
I'm always open for suggestions :)
« Last Edit: 2013-03-28, 20:07:35 by DeadClown »

2013-03-28, 13:05:49
Reply #52

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You're doing really great job with this, thanks! Before I tried to avoid any material converters for any render engine, but this thing is a "must have"!

2013-03-29, 08:40:46
Reply #53

herbap

• Active Users
    • View Profile
any chance for promaterials? :)

2013-03-29, 12:05:13
Reply #54

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
@lacilaci : Thanks a lot! I'm an artist myself and I hate tools that are made half-assed ;) Most converters (not all!) are made very simple by just rewiring specific maps or parameters. I try to really convert values to be useful not just "ok it's in there now".

any chance for promaterials? :)
I've spent half of the morning to figure out what these are. There are no more pro-materials in 2012+ right? These are now called Autodesk materials , the first problem.
The second problem: too many mats for too few requests - it would take me a lot of time and I don't see the big benefit here.
You can still use some other converters to convert those to Vray/Mr/Standard and use the corona matconverter afterwards. I searched for converters but there are not many options out there, i think the best one would be: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/autodesk-material-converter. The Absence of many different scripts in this case underlines my second argument - it doesn't seem to be of high interest.
« Last Edit: 2013-03-29, 12:13:47 by DeadClown »

2013-03-29, 13:32:53
Reply #55

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Pro materials are basically Arch&Design materials where only fractions of settings that need to adjusted for given material type are exposed, and their naming is changed in relation to the material. But core is same as Arch&Design. Unfortunately i do not think it is possible to break them into basic Arch&Design elements or extract the nodes they contain.

2013-04-01, 16:09:58
Reply #56

rogerBacon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You mean those mysterious Pro-Materials? Funny thing: I don't have them here, maybe I did not install them. Currently there are no plans to do these but I will have a look at what-these-things are and decide after that ;).

Yes. Because I'm so lazy I sometimes use the materials from the "autodesk material library". I think it came from max 2011, when the Slate Material editor was included. Later I regret not making my own Arch&Des material...

2013-04-02, 22:50:37
Reply #57

Candelero

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi to all :)
I am new to this forum, so forgive me if I am pointing at something, which has already been discussed.

For the material converter:
VRay Glasses - to Corona material... the material mode should go to ( Twosided - Thin ) in order to work correctly.

I tested the script on an old scene... and glasses/water materials appear to not be converted properly :)

Best regards,
nikki Candelero
The designer can see from his drawings how the final design will look but, unfortunately, not necessarily how it will work.

2013-04-02, 23:08:10
Reply #58

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
VRay Glasses - to Corona material... the material mode should go to ( Twosided - Thin ) in order to work correctly.

I tested the script on an old scene... and glasses/water materials appear to not be converted properly :)

Hmm... how do you define "glass which is a used in a window" and "glass like a glass of water" ? Both are more or less the same VrayMtl but pretty different materials in Corona. The converter can't convert materials for different uses :-/ There must be at least a good indicator where two-sided or single-sided needs to be used.

2013-04-02, 23:15:39
Reply #59

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I actually never found a way to get 2sided glass effect in Vray. If someone knows a way, i would appreciate it. :) I tried plugging glass material in Vray2sided, but i got some crazy results :)