Author Topic: UHD Cache for an animation  (Read 1796 times)

2019-03-20, 23:05:14

naikku

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all - just some very simple questions for an animation.
Case: moving objects, moving cameras, moving lights, frames: a few thousand. I wont go to FullHD, 720p have to do.
Until this day, I have been putting UHD Cache (flicker-free) animation on and that´s about it. Now, as this will be the longest and most demanding animation, I started to think
if I could ease the pain from our company's tiny renderfarm. I have a 1950x rippa´ and our other node-comps are what they are.. Dont ask about ram on those :) Just dont.

a) should I skip all the other question and just do as I have done before? A computer will calculate UHDc and render.
b) should I let my workstation calculate the UHDc for all frames and save the file to a network-drive?
c) can I stop the UHDc-calculation and resume it later, lets say I let it be calculated over night and then in the afternoon I would put my workstation again to continue calculating.
d) can the UHDc be calculated over our nodes? Will the file work if all the nodes save information to the file as they calculate a frame per node (and then move on to the next available frame)
e) has anyone tried to calculate UHDc with a lower resolution (lets say 720p )and then rendered a (lets say 1080p) higher resolution-animation, would this work?
f) what if I let my workstation calculate every 5th frame? But as the camera&objects move, will there be some jitter/blinks in the shadows?

These kind of questions, let me know if you have ideas about this.
Right this moment my workstation is calculating UHDc on everyframe and saving the file to our networkdrive. 2h done and 55h to go.
There is no hurry on this animation, still have a few months to make this..

2019-03-20, 23:40:52
Reply #1

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had a similar situation regarding an animation with a lot of moving people, high poly animated trees and lighting variation. The UHD cache calculations were adding far too much time per frame for our budget (using rebusfarm to render), so ending up heavily optimizing the Corona render settings and using full path tracing which ended up drastically reducing our overall cost. The other benefit here is that there was zero splotching/flickering to deal with - which I have noticed before with moving lights/objects even if the UHD precision spinner is increased.

It should be noted that this was for an exterior animation so things were fairly fast (compared to an interior with lots of bounced light).
Vray who?

2021-04-16, 03:31:08
Reply #2

mcnamex

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had a similar situation regarding an animation with a lot of moving people, high poly animated trees and lighting variation. The UHD cache calculations were adding far too much time per frame for our budget (using rebusfarm to render), so ending up heavily optimizing the Corona render settings and using full path tracing which ended up drastically reducing our overall cost. The other benefit here is that there was zero splotching/flickering to deal with - which I have noticed before with moving lights/objects even if the UHD precision spinner is increased.

It should be noted that this was for an exterior animation so things were fairly fast (compared to an interior with lots of bounced light).

Hi there would you be able to elaborate on the workflow for optimisation as this could be helpful for other people with the same scenario? Cheers mate.