Author Topic: Have you seen Fstorm render?  (Read 46818 times)

2016-05-04, 00:35:13

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
Another one GPU render here https://www.facebook.com/groups/FStormGroup/
Its interesting, the development ist going fast, like those corona dailys :)

2016-05-04, 11:39:26
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
corona bitmap texture conversion

:- D

But yes, we did. They had some nice, smart features from get-on, such as natural glare.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-05-04, 11:44:27
Reply #2

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
These guy(s), do the same mistake (Octane devs and users do it too) in defending their speed in comparison to Vray/Corona, by using the argument, that it would be comparable when Vray/Corona, disabled their secondary GI kernels.

Well but...too bad, that's exactly what makes them fast. These GPU-raytracers are almost never faster in actual GI-heavy (like interior) scenes from what I've seen (applies to all of them, except for Redshift).

Redshift devs got it. You can use GPUs as fast as you can, unbiased pathtracing alone is not fast. Unless we talk car renders, HDRi-lit close-ups of decoration or some other simplicity.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-05-04, 12:24:47
Reply #3

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not really on topic title but since accelerating is in question, Toshiya Hachisuka' Lab works on rendering with SPPM (also on GPU) looks very tempting.

2016-07-29, 16:39:53
Reply #4

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Architectural visualization & Graphic design
Otoy applied to New Zealand Court against FStormRender.
They claim Andrey Kozlov uses OctaneRender source code and copy the stuff.

Imagination is more important than knowlege

2016-07-29, 17:02:17
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
...the hell is that? :O

Did you print a screenshot on paper, then scan it, then print it again, and scan it again, and repeated that 50 times, and then posted it here? O_o

2016-07-29, 17:10:03
Reply #6

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
aahahahaha :) of course no :) ı am copying from fstorm facebook page :) this is really confidental
Imagination is more important than knowlege

2016-07-29, 17:33:04
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I can't see anything like that on Fstorm facebook page

2016-07-29, 17:34:45
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't know where this info is coming from, but I also heard about a lawsuit. Let's hold on with the gossips and wait for some official message.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-07-29, 17:37:52
Reply #9

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-07-29, 17:53:55
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ok. Great. Bu is this publicly available? Where did you find that link?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-07-30, 00:01:29
Reply #11

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile
These guy(s), do the same mistake (Octane devs and users do it too) in defending their speed in comparison to Vray/Corona, by using the argument, that it would be comparable when Vray/Corona, disabled their secondary GI kernels.

Well but...too bad, that's exactly what makes them fast. These GPU-raytracers are almost never faster in actual GI-heavy (like interior) scenes from what I've seen (applies to all of them, except for Redshift).

Redshift devs got it. You can use GPUs as fast as you can, unbiased pathtracing alone is not fast. Unless we talk car renders, HDRi-lit close-ups of decoration or some other simplicity.

I half agree, Redshift I have tried to get clean results for internal renders using the GPU GI caching interpolated GI and without high settings I can't get rid of the splotches, its like going back to Mental ray. So I tried there Path tracer and its slow as any GPU path tracer.
However Fstorm, its sampling methods are pretty damn quick :) and its by far the fastest GPU render I have used even for internals.
Now if Ondra put what he learnt with his Herpy derpy GI cache and made that for GPU, if at all possible, that would be very interesting, Its the cleanest GI cache thing I have ever used.

Things I like about Fstorm:
Glare like you mentioned is beautifully done, the quality and believability is great.
I like the Sun Sky system.
Its material is pretty solid, has lots of maps/shaders that are normally missing from a GPU renderer at the start development.
The other thing I like about GPU renderers, is the GPU seems to have a faster development.
Being able to upgrade a GPU or just adding another one into my system for more speed is awesome.

However any real work I do, I do in Corona, but enjoy testing any renderer I can find :) Corona is so reliable and easy to use.

2016-07-30, 08:45:35
Reply #12

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
yes a friend told me about its speed but what a shame if it is true that Fstorm used otoy source code.
it seems many of user here has some experience in GPU rendering. the only GPUrenderer I ever tried is vrayRT.
a litle bit offtopic, have you guys tried firerender which is corona has some contribution in its development?
a lot of GPUrenderer mainly optimized for CUDA eventhough some has openCL compatibility but it still too weak against CUDA. and I think firerender will never do optimization for CUDA hardware :) however i'd like to hear your opinion about this firerender guys :)

2016-08-03, 12:02:33
Reply #13

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-08-03, 16:12:40
Reply #14

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This changes the problem. And yes, I thought it was odd the lower part of the screenshot encircled with the presets, view and render button. I mean that's default from 3ds max. And also the look of the screenshots, like what ? Did it meant to make it more "realistic" ? Like cut from a newspaper ? :)
  "Look, this is serious, we present you these worn documents with 3ds max, recovered from a secret file, from the second world war"