Author Topic: Wrong color correct temp  (Read 2225 times)

2019-10-17, 11:57:05

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Hi, sorry if this has been fixed (Im still on Version 4).

It seems to be the colour correct temperature is backwards? Please see attached, should be pretty self-explanatory...

A lower value (more blue) should make the image cooler (more blue), correct? And vie-versa, a warmer (more red) should be warmer?

Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2019-10-17, 12:27:33
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I don't see any mistake:

Your first image has Color Balance 4500K. 4500K is warm color that is substracted from image so it will be (6500K -4500K=2000K) cooler.
Your second images has Color Balance of 8000K. 8000K is light blueish color that is substracted, it will be 2000K warmer.

It works identically to how it is in physical camera (and real-world camera and photo RAW editors).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-10-17, 13:09:14
Reply #2

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Hi Juraj,

Thanks for the clarification.

I was not aware that the colour balance is subtracted.

Slightly counter-intuitive but I guess this makes sense then. Thanks again,
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2019-10-17, 13:36:35
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
At first sight I agree, it might seem counterintuitive. But you have to consider the logic where it came from in photography.

It helps you easily balance against known black-body temperatures, so if light-bulb lit set of 2800K, you want to achieve correct white, you set the white 'balance' to 2800K.
If common daylight temperature is 5000-5500K +/- in Central Europe midday, you will set your white-balance to roughly this, and you don't even have to search for any white object in your scene, or bring grey-card along. You don't need to do any math.

It is intuitive for the given purpose :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!