Author Topic: Osebergskipet  (Read 5766 times)

2017-12-11, 20:42:26

surferdude

• Active Users
    • View Profile
According to Prose Edda, when Odin and other Æsir came from Asian Turkland to North Europe, they brought their culture and language "that became native in all those lands", and along with them came prosperity and peace.
Some argue the historical precision of the XIII century epic of Æsir - others simply admire the legasy of those people
(or gods?).
Oseberg ship is one of the brightest examples of that divine culture, for it keeps touching our hearts so many centuries later...

Viking Ship Museum: Arnstein Arneberg
Osebergskipet: Ritually buried 834 AD. Excavated by Haakon Shetelig and Gabriel Gustafson in 1904-1905​​​​​​​

Software: 3Dsmax, Corona Render, Zbrush, UV Layout, Knald, Autocad, Affinity Photo, Nuke
https://www.behance.net/gallery/59754541/Osebergskipet

2017-12-11, 21:32:58
Reply #1

Erald

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Dude.....feels like being there again! It is such an amazing work!!! Can you give more info? How did you approach modelling of the ships? Any scans? Photogrammetry?
This is insanely good!

2017-12-11, 21:40:25
Reply #2

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Mother of God! This is hands down some of the best work I've ever seen.
Vray who?

2017-12-11, 22:20:28
Reply #3

surferdude

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Dude.....feels like being there again! It is such an amazing work!!! Can you give more info? How did you approach modelling of the ships? Any scans? Photogrammetry?
This is insanely good!

Thank you! So you have been in this museum? I wonder how Osebergskipet and museum look in real life. No scans in this project, everything is modeled and sculpted by me (except books,clock e.t.c).. even some textures are sculpted, like stone floor. I modeled base model of the ship in 3dsmax and executed details in Zbrush.

Mother of God! This is hands down some of the best work I've ever seen.

Thanks a lot!

2017-12-11, 22:25:53
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That's a little bit too many shots dilluting the general awesomness of this project. I would cut away the unnesential away and focus with just the best.

But the best here are...just great :- ) Superb topic and execution.

(ok, it does sort of work in Behance, so it's just this forum that makes it lot more messy).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-12-11, 22:31:16
Reply #5

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Holy crap, could easily mistaken them for photographs...
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-12-11, 22:34:13
Reply #6

Erald

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thank you! So you have been in this museum? I wonder how Osebergskipet and museum look in real life. No scans in this project, everything is modeled and sculpted by me (except books,clock e.t.c).. even some textures are sculpted, like stone floor. I modeled base model of the ship in 3dsmax and executed details in Zbrush.

What??? You have done this stuff only based on pictures??? Not even being there? You gotta be kidding me!!!! Who are you????
Sir, really amazing job. Yep, been there. The only thing I don't recall is the white walls being so shiny in the renders...they were just painted ruff white.
The rest is just unbelievable...I bet if I post some real pictures that I took, no one will tell the difference.

2017-12-11, 22:41:10
Reply #7

dia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great work . Very nice materials and models.

2017-12-11, 22:54:17
Reply #8

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
... yet now you made me sure it's a fable, spectacular illusion...
"with wars come kings, with kings come wars"
so many tools, so much effort... any breakdown?

great work

ps
agree on too many 'shots', didn't look at them all (for galleries, am more of an up to 5 at most)

i'll be back ;)
« Last Edit: 2017-12-11, 22:58:59 by burnin »

2017-12-11, 23:27:55
Reply #9

surferdude

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's a little bit too many shots dilluting the general awesomness of this project. I would cut away the unnesential away and focus with just the best.

But the best here are...just great :- ) Superb topic and execution.

(ok, it does sort of work in Behance, so it's just this forum that makes it lot more messy).

Yeah you are right, I had to decide whether to share all images here or not. I came to a conclusion that it would be better to duplicate all images from behance. Thank you :)

Holy crap, could easily mistaken them for photographs...

Thanks )

What??? You have done this stuff only based on pictures??? Not even being there? You gotta be kidding me!!!! Who are you????
Sir, really amazing job. Yep, been there. The only thing I don't recall is the white walls being so shiny in the renders...they were just painted ruff white.
The rest is just unbelievable...I bet if I post some real pictures that I took, no one will tell the difference.

Yeah I have never been there, and yes it was challenging to model everything by photos. I found some old blueprints of museum and some assembling blueprints of the Osebereg ship model... I suppose it was for kids. Thanks for your comment, it  is important to me :)   

Great work . Very nice materials and models.

Thank you )

so many tools, so much effort... any breakdown?
i'll be back ;)

Haven't decided yet. Thank you :)

2017-12-12, 22:31:49
Reply #10

JakubCech

• Active Users
  • jakubcech.net
    • View Profile
    • jakubcech
Now that is really incredible work in here :)
Its insane how you were able to push the realism so far without introducing crushed or flattened blacks - wow! That is insanely hard task, almost never done right. My compliments!

2017-12-13, 13:02:04
Reply #11

surferdude

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Now that is really incredible work in here :)
Its insane how you were able to push the realism so far without introducing crushed or flattened blacks - wow! That is insanely hard task, almost never done right. My compliments!

Thanks Jakub, glad to hear appreciation from you! In addition to you words, I would say I'm mostly influenced from old documentalistic films, especially Werner Herzog's film - The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser. That's is why I tried to get rid of all commercial looking stuff. Even this task is hard to achieve in computer graphics, it is better to know that different stories need different approaches. You can make uncommerical looking images in CGI and get attention from your audience. Thank you again! :)
« Last Edit: 2017-12-13, 13:18:14 by surferdude »

2017-12-13, 16:04:05
Reply #12

Erald

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You HAVE to do a breakdown about this, don't be lazy! Come on!! :D

2017-12-13, 18:33:57
Reply #13

surferdude

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You HAVE to do a breakdown about this, don't be lazy! Come on!! :D

Yeah.. I am really lazy dude right now )) will figure out in couple of months how to share this information. But thanks for your effort, appreciate it.