Author Topic: First renders - Paris apartment early previews  (Read 43203 times)

2013-06-07, 20:44:32
Reply #15

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You can also try set diffuse level of white wall to 0.7-0.8 (value=255) to get more contrast.

What kind of contrast ? I have my whites always around 180-190 RGB since I adopted LWF. But this shot is kind of bland because I over-did the softbox I think. Anyway, I am always on quest how to do proper wall plaster. I had slight succes with the "roughness" value in Vray, which no one seems to use. I am curious to hear more from you

But the numbers driving values in materials are still a bit mystery to me, since I am used only for Color and Maps.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-07, 20:58:13 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2013-06-07, 21:58:15
Reply #17

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
But the numbers driving values in materials are still a bit mystery to me, since I am used only for Color and Maps.

It just multiplies the color/texture.  If you leave them at 1 it will behave exactly as vray.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-06-07, 22:12:58
Reply #18

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The numbers are the means of controlling reflection/refraction and such...

It basically sets what white value of the bitmap represents. So if you have reflectivity of 0,5, it means that white point on the bitmap plugged into reflection color will represent reflectivity of 0,5.

I think it is a bit more intuitive (it's that way in mental ray for example) because color does not necessarily control your both color and intensity of the effect.

Prime example is when i wanted to create scratched copper vase in Corona and Vray. Copper has tinted reflection color... In Corona, i simply put my scratches texture as reflection map so i got variance on reflections, and then set reflection color to orange-ish as copper would look. But in Vray, as there is only one slot, i actually had to mix my scratches texture with color texture using bitmaps, and then control both reflectivity of scratch texture and reflection color in a quite counter-intuitive manner.

And, as Keymaster pointed above me already, if you want it to behave like Vray, then you just set them at 1, and then color will fully control the effect.

2013-06-08, 15:11:56
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thank you guys for explaining, all clear now :- ) It does make sense with the tint example and I see how it can make tweaking certain materials easier.

Well, my second render is done now and I am beyond satisfied !! That's the results I was looking for. I love the subtle noise and little shadow detail all-around. Also, in-render DOF !

It's 100mil poly scene so far, this time only with HDRi, windows are far away. 7680px, full unbiased PT+PT, 16 samples only now, MaxInt. 0. Super super satisfied. It took 30GB ram, (it was 18 at 3840px, so it does seem to scale quite a lot). Not sure if I should keep Internal res=2 even if I go to such high res like this ? I do plan to render 8k most of my renders.

Well I am happy. I no longer need to worry about rendering, and go back to actual work. Lot's of modeling ahead, but my mind is at peace.

I think Corona will truly be revolution !

Another cool stuff I found, it's fully unclamped. So there really is no trick or anything. Clean AA and unclamped, something impossible in Vray.
« Last Edit: 2013-06-08, 15:16:29 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2013-06-08, 16:40:39
Reply #20

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am getting different light contrast with HDCache+PT, HD paths 4096, PT 16 compared to PT+PT 16. It seems to be brighter, and more even, I don't like it that much compared to unbiased result, I am not sure if it's me having setup something wrong. When I'll have some time, I'll let the two identical renders cook for whole night and compared to what sort of GI will they arive. But for now, I am sticking purely to PT+PT, which I love.

I have question about the glass, I do see the advice to use single plane, but what if I would like to see double-glazed glass (two glass panes 10 cm from each other in distance), should I still use 2 single poly planes ? Can two-sided glass showcase true reflection ? And how much of burden is thick glass ? esp. two panes of thick glass :- ).
« Last Edit: 2013-06-08, 18:18:44 by Juraj_Talcik »

2013-06-09, 10:24:05
Reply #21

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Nice renders...and welcome ;)
I remember our conversation about corona sometime around january. Im glad, that your ego was defeated by ponies ;)
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2013-06-09, 11:56:43
Reply #22

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I have question about the glass, I do see the advice to use single plane, but what if I would like to see double-glazed glass (two glass panes 10 cm from each other in distance), should I still use 2 single poly planes ? Can two-sided glass showcase true reflection ? And how much of burden is thick glass ? esp. two panes of thick glass :- ).

Use 2 planes with single face 10 cm apart with thin glass mode. If you use thick glass then sun or very sharp HDRI won't work. If you use only diffuse environment, then it doesnt matter. In daily builds/A5 there is third option for glass, hybrid, that will give you correct shadows and works with sun
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-06-09, 14:47:38
Reply #23

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
I've the same problem with Corona Frame butter. With res > 3K or 4K it eats a lot of RAM (too much). Ondra knows this and it has to rebuilt the entire FB. You car reduce the int res to 1, but you could have some problem with bright edges (like with Color mapping on in VRay) . Int res =  1 double the real resolution inside corona. This is why it eats so much RAM.

2013-06-09, 15:54:33
Reply #24

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes, thanks Michal ! Corona is indeed quite what I did not expect.

Hi Cecofuli, saw your frustration in Chaos forum "All about noise thread". I've re-read that thread 5 times back and forth in my own pursuit of ultimate brute force settings for high-end interiors.

I'm very much enjoying the in-render DOF, I think I can finally keep it ticked-on constantly. I had some exteriors tests already too, and it was breeze ! But I expected that, even Maxwell was very fast in exteriors. Funny thing, I noticed the converter even switched VrayDirt for CoronaAO, which isn't yet much advanced, but did some trick too ! Nice. Now I'll wait for normal maps.

2013-06-09, 15:59:07
Reply #25

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I would not rely on Mat converter, especially when it comes to Vray>Corona. It is good for quick tests, but if you go for quality, you will have to do some manual clean up afterwards. Not everything will convert 1:1 ;)

That being said, DeadClown has done some amazing job on it, so sometimes it is really surprising how well it works :)

2013-06-09, 16:09:50
Reply #26

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I like that material is so "regular", and seems closer to ArchDesign shader (translucency and corners, nice). I could not stand Maxwell materials, I did not understand single value, everything seemed like complete science. Absolutely bothersome, I had trouble initially even coming up with specular mat. I like simple things. The simpler, the better.

2013-06-09, 17:29:35
Reply #27

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I would not rely on Mat converter, especially when it comes to Vray>Corona. It is good for quick tests, but if you go for quality, you will have to do some manual clean up afterwards. Not everything will convert 1:1 ;)

That's unfortunately true. I tried to do it the best way I could but since VRay is doing some things in non-explicit ways (fog, translucency) it's not always possible to get good results (Arch&Design material was way easier to do).

Funny thing, I noticed the converter even switched VrayDirt for CoronaAO, which isn't yet much advanced, but did some trick too ! Nice. Now I'll wait for normal maps.

I'm trying to convert all those third-party maps which would break the render (VrayDirt, VrayColor, ...). Normal maps will be implemented when Alpha5 is released. Keymaster did implement a corona normal map in the daily builds already :) .
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2013-06-09, 17:42:34
Reply #28

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I salute you for great effort :- ) Converter is literally deal-breaker for many people, me included. With the giant amount of assets I have on my drives, last thing I want is start from scratch.
Keymaster already invited me for daily build, and I will do so at the end of this week.

2013-06-09, 18:02:38
Reply #29

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Last image needs burn value to be set to 6+ (im always using 99 ). Try.
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha