Author Topic: 3Ds Max 2015 Sp3  (Read 16294 times)

2015-01-06, 10:07:46

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have used 3Ds Max 2015 with the latest service pack (sp3) for a while now.

Is it just me or did they manage to slow down material rendering (in both slate and compact) EVEN more?

Curious if anyone noticed the same thing?

/Daniel

2015-01-06, 10:17:47
Reply #1

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs

2015-01-06, 13:04:41
Reply #2

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-01-14, 18:32:17
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am afraid to even install it :- D
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-01-14, 19:01:50
Reply #4

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah I can really understand that! :D I´m starting to consider moving back to 2014. Now they also broke the zoom. If I zoom with the mouse scroll it zooms extremely far away or the other way around, it´s really hard/impossible to zoom now...

2015-01-15, 00:23:01
Reply #5

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah I can really understand that! :D I´m starting to consider moving back to 2014. Now they also broke the zoom. If I zoom with the mouse scroll it zooms extremely far away or the other way around, it´s really hard/impossible to zoom now...
You can fix that odd new zooming behaviour at least - there's a thread here giving instructions to edit the 3dsmax ini file and revert back to the old way. http://forums.cgarchitect.com/76744-fix-max-2015-wacked-zoom-orbit-pan.html
That one had me worried for a few days that 2015 was unusable! Something to do with some new 'adaptive zoom' feature that I can't imagine anybody ever asked for in the first place.

2015-01-15, 00:44:14
Reply #6

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You can fix that odd new zooming behaviour at least - there's a thread here giving instructions to edit the 3dsmax ini file and revert back to the old way. http://forums.cgarchitect.com/76744-fix-max-2015-wacked-zoom-orbit-pan.html
That one had me worried for a few days that 2015 was unusable! Something to do with some new 'adaptive zoom' feature that I can't imagine anybody ever asked for in the first place.

Thank you very much for the link! :) This zooming crap has been driving me crazy for the last couple of days... Adaptive zoom? What was wrong with the way zooming worked before?! Who approved this new zoom?! So many questions haha!

2015-01-15, 09:36:14
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The adaptive is sort of like a Sketchup ? I eventually got used to it but, it was strange.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-01-15, 10:10:50
Reply #8

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The adaptive is sort of like a Sketchup ? I eventually got used to it but, it was strange.

So behind that weird zooming there is actually a working feature? I will try it! Now I at least know how to disable it :)

How did you get used to it? Didn´t the zoom behave crazy?

2015-01-15, 10:45:11
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well I didn't noticed that much difference, or perhaps I always disliked Max navigation anyway, or the fact I came from Sketchup, don't know.

I just noticed they now have the same annoying feature, the moment you zoom through object (like wall) it slows down to crawl. So I assume the zoom speed is relevant to object distance or something.

2015-01-15, 11:02:29
Reply #10

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Exactly, the feature was supposed to help with large scale scenes and is supposed to be relevant to objects (as far as I understand), but it just doesn´t work. Autodesk won´t fix it since they can´t reproduce the problem and they don´t think this feature is broken(according to a forum thread I found), great attitude! And the fix did not work for me so I guess I´ll have to try to adapt to this crap, I miss 2012 version, best version I´ve used....

I did however notice something nice, it seems like the slate material editor remembers rendered materials and won´t re-render them when you open the scene, at least with latest opened scene :)

2015-01-15, 11:17:06
Reply #11

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I was getting the impression (just in the couple of days that I struggled with the adaptive zoom before reverting to the older style) that the zoom increment/speed is based on whatever object your cursor is hovering over in the viewport upon the moment at which you scroll the mouse wheel. In the old system it feels as though the zoom increment (or scale of interest I suppose) are based upon the last object or subobject you had selected when you pressed 'Z'.

I couldn't make it work for me but there you go, as long as we have the choice :).

Quite a heated thread on it here - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/the-design-proposal-to-adaptive-zoom-pan-of-the-viewport/td-p/5082470
Oh, and apparently people did request and vote for this feature, so I'll have to eat my words from before!
http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/76763-small-annoying-things/suggestions/1534691-zooming-in-decrases-the-movement-of-camera

2015-01-15, 11:51:31
Reply #12

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So you couldn´t revert back to the old navigation style either?

It at least seems like Autodesk will try and come up with a solution like a toggle or something, which they should have implemented from the beginning!
That way you can go back to your workflow that you are used to.

I hope they will release a fix soon :)

2015-01-15, 12:08:10
Reply #13

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So you couldn´t revert back to the old navigation style either?

No, I did revert back using the fix from the thread I posted about editing the .ini file and that works - I was just describing my experience with the adaptive zoom for the short time before I realised the ability to revert existed.

But, yes I agree that the choice should be available as a visible toggle in the UI rather than having to go into the .ini file.

2015-01-15, 12:15:04
Reply #14

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see! I did not get that to work for some reason..

I´m keeping my fingered crossed for a fix soon!

2015-01-15, 13:24:48
Reply #15

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I actually like 3ds Max 2015 due to the hardware hit testing. Selection even with super high poly objects is now instant. That makes working with heavy scenes pleasure. Layer manager is a buzzkill though.

And a new adaptive viewport navigation that causes all the panning and zooming mess was a dealbreaker, but it can by disabled via INI string ever since SP2, so that made Max 2015 usable for me :)

2015-01-15, 13:30:22
Reply #16

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I actually like 3ds Max 2015 due to the hardware hit testing. Selection even with super high poly objects is now instant. That makes working with heavy scenes pleasure. Layer manager is a buzzkill though.

And a new adaptive viewport navigation that causes all the panning and zooming mess was a dealbreaker, but it can by disabled via INI string ever since SP2, so that made Max 2015 usable for me :)

Absolutely, 3ds Max 2015 is not all bad, it has some new nice features like the improvement of working with geometry heavy scenes and others.
The new layer manager made me confused, it was crap, was not working good at all. Perhaps I didn´t manage to understand it :D I´ve been using Outliner script/plugin for a long time now, its not perfect but I can manage my scenes pretty good at least.

I tried to disable it via INI string, but nothing happened unfortunately... Will try it again!

2015-01-15, 13:41:46
Reply #17

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Absolutely, 3ds Max 2015 is not all bad, it has some new nice features like the improvement of working with geometry heavy scenes and others.
The new layer manager made me confused, it was crap, was not working good at all. Perhaps I didn´t manage to understand it :D I´ve been using Outliner script/plugin for a long time now, its not perfect but I can manage my scenes pretty good at least.

I tried to disable it via INI string, but nothing happened unfortunately... Will try it again!

You need to have SP2 or newer, and you have to put INI string on the right place :)

You go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2015 - 64bit\ENU and open 3dsmax.ini

And the INI string AdaptiveNavigation=0 has to go under [Performance] declaration. Check the attachment. (It is also possible it's case sensitive)

2015-01-15, 13:46:33
Reply #18

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You need to have SP2 or newer, and you have to put INI string on the right place :)

You go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2015 - 64bit\ENU and open 3dsmax.ini

And the INI string AdaptiveNavigation=0 has to go under [Performance] declaration. Check the attachment. (It is also possible it's case sensitive)

I have SP3 installed. Thank you for the info, however that is exactly what I have done, without any luck... will try to restart everything, even my computer and perhaps it will work :)

2015-01-15, 13:47:39
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would have learned to live with layer manager and its little confusing selections if it wasn't for the performance hit.

The moment I have huge scene (like whole office floor with thousands of objects), having scene explorer being open, it introduces a significant lag to anything. The moment I close it, everything is super fluent.
The same scene has no such issues with previous layer manager in 2014.
That means I have to open and close it when I need to use it. I notices similar complains on Area forum but it went nowhere.

2015-01-15, 13:47:55
Reply #20

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

I have SP3 installed. Thank you for the info, however that is exactly what I have done, without any luck... will try to restart everything, even my computer and perhaps it will work :)

Oh... forgot to tell...  i think this only applies to perspective views. If you use orthographic views, i don't think the string has any effect on tem.

2015-01-15, 13:50:44
Reply #21

Ricky Johnson

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Actually looking at the threads on the Area about this it unfortunately looks as though a couple of SP3 users aren't getting that .ini adjustment to work.

I'd be interested to know if you have any luck trying again. Hopefully they've not actually removed the ability to disable this. Are you using SP3 or SP2 Rawalanche?

There's a complaint thread users can vote on here:
http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/76763-small-feature-requests/suggestions/5830447--new-intuitive-viewport-navigation-in-3dsmax-2015
I take issue with the 'small feature' classification as it's something of an understatement to me!

2015-01-15, 14:05:26
Reply #22

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Actually looking at the threads on the Area about this it unfortunately looks as though a couple of SP3 users aren't getting that .ini adjustment to work.

I'd be interested to know if you have any luck trying again. Hopefully they've not actually removed the ability to disable this. Are you using SP3 or SP2 Rawalanche?

There's a complaint thread users can vote on here:
http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/76763-small-feature-requests/suggestions/5830447--new-intuitive-viewport-navigation-in-3dsmax-2015
I take issue with the 'small feature' classification as it's something of an understatement to me!

SP3.

I think i remember I had the problem too. I think there was duplicate performance declaration twice. Try to check for that. Last resort is backing up quad file, hotkey file, and color scheme file, then cutting your 2015 - x64 folder and pasting it somewhere to back it up. Then once you launch max, it will launch reset to default, but with fresh INI that should work. You'll have to re-do your UI customization though, that means loading shortcuts, quads and colors back, and then re-customizing UI layout and preferences again :)

2015-01-15, 17:44:41
Reply #23

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think "crappy broken navigation" should be classified as a big feature!

I tried to cut the .ini-file, start 3ds max, another got created, I deleted that one and pasted my fixed one without any luck.

I don´t have the energy to re-install EVERYTHING again, so any other suggestion is welcome :)

2015-01-15, 17:50:00
Reply #24

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I didn't mean to replace the ini back again. But to edit the newly created one and put the string in. :) But i guess it just doesn't work for some reason :/

2015-01-15, 18:28:48
Reply #25

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I didn't mean to replace the ini back again. But to edit the newly created one and put the string in. :) But i guess it just doesn't work for some reason :/

I see! :) I will try that as a last resort! If that doesn´t work I guess I´ll just have to wait and see if Autodesk fixes it.

2015-01-28, 11:08:45
Reply #26

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
I would have learned to live with layer manager and its little confusing selections if it wasn't for the performance hit.

The moment I have huge scene (like whole office floor with thousands of objects), having scene explorer being open, it introduces a significant lag to anything. The moment I close it, everything is super fluent.
The same scene has no such issues with previous layer manager in 2014.
That means I have to open and close it when I need to use it. I notices similar complains on Area forum but it went nowhere.

Hi, probably you found that out already and it is just me who made that "big new discovery" just yesterday )) but here is small ini setting http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/3ds-Max-2015-Scene-explorer-find-toolbar-is-extremely-slow.html that reverts object selection to an oldschool one and makes using max 2015 a lot easier. Well at least for me object selection is fast and usable again and selecting over 9000 objects is once again a possible operation

2015-01-28, 11:16:25
Reply #27

daniel.reutersward

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, probably you found that out already and it is just me who made that "big new discovery" just yesterday )) but here is small ini setting http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/3ds-Max-2015-Scene-explorer-find-toolbar-is-extremely-slow.html that reverts object selection to an oldschool one and makes using max 2015 a lot easier. Well at least for me object selection is fast and usable again and selecting over 9000 objects is once again a possible operation

I will have to try this! Perhaps it will speed up 3ds max a little bit at least, thanks!