Author Topic: VFB Curves Histogram  (Read 293 times)

2024-02-01, 14:47:15

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you add curves to the tonemapping stack the histogram is only effected by the operators above it and not the curves operator itself.  To the see the effect of the curves operator on the histogram you need to add another curves below it which seems pretty counterintuative.

Repro steps:

Start IR
Add curves operator at bottom of tonemapping stack
Adjust curves and observe histogram not changing

I appreciate this is how the curves adjustment layer works in PS, but you also have a separate histogram in PS that shows the effects of changes made to said adjustment layer
« Last Edit: 2024-02-01, 14:51:39 by dj_buckley »

2024-02-02, 16:33:59
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I would say this is the intuitive thing, otherwise it would simply be not consistent.

I have a constant histogram the moment curves is applied. You modify the Curve based on that. If the effect would be taken into the curve histogram, than it would mean the set curve should not affect the modified values and it would be a never ending loop. This is how curves just work and I really like that you can simply put another curves and check the new values.

Maybe what you want is an on-display updated histogram behind the current one on the same plot. But even so, it would still be confusing to "read" it. The curve line itself tells how the values are being modified.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us