Author Topic: I need help with a specific metal finish  (Read 1212 times)

2021-08-25, 21:53:12

maou42

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi There

I am struggling to create a material that mimicks the MacBook Pro metal, not so much the bump but the variation in tones. I realise that the macbook is curved but it is challenging to come up with this powdered metal look.

Any idea to put me oin the right direction?

Thank you.

2021-08-31, 03:54:01
Reply #1

acrobaticpoly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • AcrobaticPoly
There are many ways to create what you're looking for, and a lot will depend on how the material is being lit.

Here's a suggestion though, perhaps try to use a simple noise map in the bump and reflection glossiness layer.
Then to add a bit of variation in your glossiness you could use a map for surface imperfections mixed in with the noise map by including a composite node.
For a little bit more variation maybe try adding in another noise map (slightly scaled down) into your anisotropy node; since you material is very matt, this should help drive that powdered look too. Play around with the opacity of your "imperfection" map within the composite and the strength of your noise maps.
Then it's a matter of tweaking until it looks close to the reference.

I've attached a screenshot of what I've just thrown together.

Hope this helps.
Photos: https://vsco.co/egyptianblue/gallery
"I am out with lanterns, looking for myself."

2021-09-02, 02:18:39
Reply #2

maou42

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you.

It is for an animation that has a "Product Design" type of lighting and it is challenging to get something nice.

2021-09-07, 00:33:24
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Be careful with using native Max procedural noise, it renders a lot differently based on distance, resolution and sampling. It's almost impossible to achieve consistency.

Triplanar mapping noise bitmap is almost safer choice, I've seen most professionals using this method for carpaint speckles. Of course, more advanced noise maps like Vray Stochastic are available, but I am not sure it works in Corona.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!