Author Topic: AVX load issue during rendering  (Read 2487 times)

2021-07-25, 11:40:47

BVVV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
After updating Corona 7, the rendered AVX behavior has changed.
7980xe oc 4.5 AVX offset on -5
In Corona 6 and lower versions, the CPU 100% load can correctly identify AVX offset during rendering, and the CPU frequency is maintained at 4.0Ghz, which can well balance the temperature of the CPU after overclocking.
But in Corona 7, the AVX offset is no longer recognized, rendering will always remain at 4.5Ghz, and the CPU temperature has been greatly challenged.

2021-07-25, 11:48:39
Reply #1

BVVV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Test the situation on the 8280 later. The 8280 is rendered at 2.7Ghz in the lower version. If the offset disappears, it may cause a lot of trouble due to temperature problems.

2021-07-25, 14:15:26
Reply #2

BVVV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
After some tests, it is found that the AVX offset will be invalid in the mini scene, which is a headache for product rendering.

2021-07-26, 12:06:56
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi, I would like to understand what exactly you are reporting. Is there some unexpected behavior here? If so, could you please explain what is expected for you and what is the unexpected thing that is currently happening?

In V7, we updated Embree, which now avoids AVX. This may result in higher CPU clocks. The goal of this was better performance, not overheating CPUs. If what you are reporting is that your overclocked CPU is overheating, then I don't think our developers should be blamed for this. :) In such case I would advise disabling the overclocking and making sure that your CPU cooling is good enough.

If you would like to report something else - please do let me know what exactly is happening.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-07-26, 12:23:01
Reply #4

BVVV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Higher CPU clocks means higher temperature.
The frequency that was originally controllable is now uncontrollable. Rendering is more stressful than a single-load CPU, which is not good news for hedt.
BTW...I didn’t complain about the developers, just reported a problem,sorry for misunderstanding

2021-07-26, 12:26:45
Reply #5

BVVV

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In the dual 8280, the absence of AVX load increases the temperature by 4-10 degrees

2021-07-26, 13:11:18
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
That is natural and expected though. Your CPU is being utilized 6more percent and runs at +200 MHz (at minimum).

You should have faster rendering time. The temperatures are very low anyway, these CPUs can run 90deg just fine.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-07-26, 14:25:25
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Higher CPU clocks means higher temperature.
The frequency that was originally controllable is now uncontrollable. Rendering is more stressful than a single-load CPU, which is not good news for hedt.
BTW...I didn’t complain about the developers, just reported a problem,sorry for misunderstanding

I don't think the frequency is uncontrollable, and I don't think this is a problem at all. Software like Corona cannot make your CPU go into some "uncontrollable frequency". Your CPU will process the given tasks at the best possible performance. If you are getting too high temperatures, it is not a software issue.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us