Author Topic: Cloth with fibers  (Read 2212 times)

2021-07-13, 10:49:05

Alberto Luque

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

Recently i was trying to recreate some fibers on a cloth but Hair&Fur doesnt work really well in close ups and it didnt gave me the look i was looking for. After search for information about how to make fibers i just found 2 options, Hair&fur (that i dont like the result) and takes too long to render, and coronaScatter that just gave me the same look as H&F... so i was thinking how to make fibers and after think a bit about i came out with this...

This is just a material with a dent procedural bitmap on the displacement and the opacity color..and finally found the effect i was looking for.
Maybe it helps someone like me that was looking for an answer. :)

Thanks guys!

2021-07-13, 12:43:19
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
and the opacity color..

Could you specify please what you mean here?

I personally use scatter but I hate the fact I need to model fibers using polygons, instead of being able to scatter hair splines that would render with hair material without the need to become geometry during render time.

H&F is slow and consumes massive amount of memory (like 200 GB + ) when scaled, takes 5 minutes to precompute. I presume Ornatrix is the same just faster but I would really be happy if I could just scatter some "hair" geo.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-07-13, 13:19:32
Reply #2

Alberto Luque

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure. I attached  the material i used for the effect, take a look

I just cloned my cloth and in the copy i used this material ;)

2021-07-13, 15:58:56
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I personally use scatter but I hate the fact I need to model fibers using polygons, instead of being able to scatter hair splines that would render with hair material without the need to become geometry during render time.

You can still apply hair material on scattered geometry and it will render just fine, unless i misunderstood what you mean.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-07-14, 10:32:28
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I know (I use it like that of hair cards of sold 3D human models) but I want to use the main feature of hair shader, that is "conjuring" geometry. The default mode of Corona Shader is applying flat normals to splines, without the need to render them as full volumetric splines (the second mode of Corona hair shader).

With fibers being used on furniture, we're getting into billions, they shouldn't need to be small polygonal entities unless absolutely necessary. Hair geo entity with Hair shader makes that trick, but it's not possible to use it outside of box.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2021-07-14, 10:34:20
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sure. I attached  the material i used for the effect, take a look

I just cloned my cloth and in the copy i used this material ;)

Thanks much Alberto :- ) I had a thought it would be a copy (heh I use similar trick for car paints) but it wasn't clear.

Yup, nice trick.