Author Topic: The new Corona Converter feedback thread  (Read 64674 times)

2021-09-07, 13:58:08
Reply #105

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

I can understand the frustration here, we are doing our best to look into the issues with the converter. However in some cases where the original material was not set up in a realistic fashion then it is very difficult for us to decide how this should be converted.

Please do send us over some scenes/materials which don't convert correctly and we will look into it.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-09-10, 16:58:51
Reply #106

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
original material was not set up in a realistic fashion

That is the case for 99perc. of existing content, even post-PBR era of materials.

The converter does one thing wrong (because otherwise the way it converts proper materials is very nice, it takes into account everything, but that's not what people use converter for mainly):
It tries to correct those materials that were setup incorrectly. Majority of use for converter is 3rd party assets, not our own scenes. So Evermotion, 3dSky, DesignConnected, etc.. And it fails for all of those.

It converts perfectly my own LegacyMaterials. But I don't need that as much.

I believe there are ways to alleviate that by simply having the converted material remaining weird nonsense even if it was like that previously. The new PhysicalMaterial can be abused enough to map over most of content. That is much better result than ending up with metallic books.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2021-09-10, 20:50:08
Reply #107

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have a case of conversion here that doesn't make sense.

It converts what it looks like a matte object into a metal.

I think the reason the converter does that is bc the IOR is very high. Still, the reflection is at 0, so it shouldn't convert it into a metal IMO.

Steps:
1- open the scene, and render IR
2- Convert, and render again.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm using Corona 7 hotfix 1, Max 2020

2021-09-13, 10:28:44
Reply #108

Dariusz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I need to batch convert a few thousand of assets.
When I run corona converter, there is no script output.
How can I use the corona converter to do the work for me? It's an insane amount of work for handwork.
Is the corona converter open-source/on git somewhere? How can I access it & configure & run it?

TIA

Ok as far as I can tell original author released source, but since Corona picked it up is no longer open source?! Why, ffs. Why is it not open so people can use it on bigger projects ?!

Ok found it, glad its public and not private bs! YAy! off to batch my scenes >.> tia!
« Last Edit: 2021-09-13, 11:32:48 by Dariusz »

2021-09-13, 16:59:40
Reply #109

Kris H

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I have a case of conversion here that doesn't make sense.

It converts what it looks like a matte object into a metal.

I think the reason the converter does that is bc the IOR is very high. Still, the reflection is at 0, so it shouldn't convert it into a metal IMO.

Steps:
1- open the scene, and render IR
2- Convert, and render again.

Thanks.

EDIT: I'm using Corona 7 hotfix 1, Max 2020
Hello lupaz,

Thank you for reporting your issue to us, I've been able to reproduce it on my side as well. We will investigate it.

Kris

(Report ID=CRMAX-959)
« Last Edit: 2021-09-14, 09:41:40 by Kris H »
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us
Send me your scene

2021-09-14, 12:52:39
Reply #110

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
I need to batch convert a few thousand of assets.
When I run corona converter, there is no script output.
How can I use the corona converter to do the work for me? It's an insane amount of work for handwork.

I think it wouldn't really be a problem to modify the script so that it's easier to use from some scripting environment instead of the GUI. Could you please describe your requirements in more detail? What exactly do you need the script to output?

Is the corona converter open-source/on git somewhere? How can I access it & configure & run it?

TIA

Ok as far as I can tell original author released source, but since Corona picked it up is no longer open source?! Why, ffs. Why is it not open so people can use it on bigger projects ?!

Ok found it, glad its public and not private bs! YAy! off to batch my scenes >.> tia!

The converter script is still open source. Although it's a bit hidden in v7. You can find it in C:\Program Files\Corona\Corona Renderer for 3ds Max\YYYY\Scripts (you can also get this scripts path by using the getScriptsDirectory maxscript function).

2021-09-17, 12:26:15
Reply #111

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Daily build Sep 06, Converter 2.02

After conversion from standard materials, base bump strength is set to 0.3, eventhough original materials had bump at 100.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-09-17, 13:00:13
Reply #112

FinAi

• Users
    • View Profile
I just noticed that my previous message could have sounded a bit underwhelming, sorry for that, I didn't intend it. So just to avoid any misunderstandings: the reason why we are not planning to reintroduce conversion to the Corona Legacy Material is because we believe that the Physical Material offers many advantages over the Legacy one. It's easier to set up, the workflow is more in-line with the leading material creation software, and most importantly the end result that you get is more realistic. We treat the Physical Material as the new standard, and the Legacy Material as, well, legacy. :)

Also please note that the Legacy Material will work just fine in Corona 7, there is no need to convert it if you don't want to.

Actually this is a problem when you wanna convert the scene from 3ds Max to Unreal because Unreal does not support the Corona Physical Material. Corona Legacy works fine.

2021-09-30, 06:58:03
Reply #113

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please bring back the old converter (convert to Legacy Material) as an option.

10-20% of converted materials are completely wrong, especially metal and liquid material.
It's not fun to fix a hundred materials.

You can work on the new one and make it better. But we just need a lifesaver button for now.

cheers,
« Last Edit: 2021-09-30, 07:08:39 by Cheesemsmsm »

2021-09-30, 08:46:47
Reply #114

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH

I've been fighting for this unsuccessfully during v7 dailies. But you can do it manually:
  • get a Corona v6 installer
  • use the "unpack files" option and extract the files somewhere
  • go to "Autodesk\3ds Max [xxxx]>\scripts\CoronaRenderer (the Max version does not matter, it's the same script for all)
  • copy "coronaConverter_v1.45.ms" to <3ds Max directory>\scripts\CoronaRenderer\

You can start it manually from there, or use the attached button/script for convenience. Result: if you press the converter button of the official toolbar, you get the current converter. If you press the button of the script, you launch the old one. You can have both side by side.

Good Luck

Edit: attention, this is not a supported scenario. It is not assured that the old converter will work in future Corona versions. And it should be considered as a temporary workaround anyway.

« Last Edit: 2021-09-30, 08:52:01 by Frood »
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2021-09-30, 09:11:14
Reply #115

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I've been fighting for this unsuccessfully during v7 dailies. But you can do it manually:
  • get a Corona v6 installer
  • use the "unpack files" option and extract the files somewhere
  • go to "Autodesk\3ds Max [xxxx]>\scripts\CoronaRenderer (the Max version does not matter, it's the same script for all)
  • copy "coronaConverter_v1.45.ms" to <3ds Max directory>\scripts\CoronaRenderer\

You can start it manually from there, or use the attached button/script for convenience. Result: if you press the converter button of the official toolbar, you get the current converter. If you press the button of the script, you launch the old one. You can have both side by side.

Good Luck

Edit: attention, this is not a supported scenario. It is not assured that the old converter will work in future Corona versions. And it should be considered as a temporary workaround anyway.

Thank you Frood, for the solution and the fighting :D
It works perfectly.

I hope this will be reconsidered.

2021-10-04, 11:52:32
Reply #116

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't like how the new converter manipulates IOR when converting from standard max materials. I think there's no way to match the look of standard materials, nor there's a need for that. In the end i have to reset each converted material's IOR back to default and i would be more than happy if i could avoid this step.

2021-10-09, 19:29:21
Reply #117

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
I don't like how the new converter manipulates IOR when converting from standard max materials. I think there's no way to match the look of standard materials, nor there's a need for that. In the end i have to reset each converted material's IOR back to default and i would be more than happy if i could avoid this step.
+1
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2021-10-11, 18:11:30
Reply #118

Otuama

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all.

We're working on a few jobs done in Corona 6.

We now have Corona 7 and have noticed that the converter is not only converting Vray materials but is also converting Corona materials (now legacy) into physical materials.

This is changing the look of our scenes and is becoming a bit of a nightmare.

Is there a way to convert ONLY Vray materials?

Thanks

2021-10-11, 18:49:50
Reply #119

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Not directly, but converter has an option to convert materials from selected objects only, so if you can select all the objects that has Vray materials (maybe by script?), you could convert them to Corona physical.