Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520305 times)

2019-11-08, 16:41:46
Reply #600

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
25s was my "i will upgrade if that happens" estimate. 40% percent improvement in corona would be something im willing to pay for but only god knows what we can expect. Ignoring clock difference and looking just at promised 15% ipc improvement...

What im also curious about is how new TR operates. 2990wx base clock is 3.0 but its operating at 3.2-3.4ghz under load. Maybe we can expect 3970x floating between 3.7-4.0 ? That would def improve a lot of single core tasks.
« Last Edit: 2019-11-08, 16:46:33 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2019-11-08, 17:02:46
Reply #601

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm thinking on getting the 3950x to install it as a replacement of the 1800x.
I've never done something like that (upgrade of a processor only).

Do you guys see any disadvantage of doing that other than not having PCI 4?

2019-11-08, 17:06:39
Reply #602

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
None. No real value in those PCI 4.0 at the moment, fully useless for storage as benchmarks have shown and any GPU capable of using it still at least 6 months away and even then I doubt 16 PCI 3.0 lanes will bottleneck it in any way.
Although on Reddit everyone pretends to run 8 NVMe drives at same time at full speed...and they totally need all dem lanes!

By the time you might benefit from it, you might find yourself suprised by being able to buy 5.0 :- ) since it's right around corner.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2019-11-08, 17:12:52
Reply #603

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Got it. Thanks Juraj.

2019-11-09, 06:25:20
Reply #604

Dfenton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello guys,

I have a CPU utilization problem! Threadripper build specs as follows:

X399 AORUS XTREME TR4
Threadripper 2990WX
GeForce  2080 Ti
128GB Kit (8 x 16GB) HyperX Predator DDR4 3000MHz, CL15
PRIME Ultra Gold, 80 PLUS 1000W PSU
Dark Rock Pro TR4 CPU Cooler

The system is running very well, temperatures are good, but I recently noticed slower than expected performance when calculating GI for several animation sequences. I tested this against my i97980XE system which was indeed much faster. I then noticed that the 2990WX system was only utilizing between 38-40% of the CPU during the pre-calc GI phase whilst my i9 was utilizing 100%. Virtulization is enabled on both, for what that is worth.

The RAM in the 2990WX is set to 3000mhz in the bios. I've tried setting it to 2933 and some of the different built in profiles but there is no change. I'm running the latest Corona 5 with 3ds Max 2018.

Here is strange thing: once the GI has been calculated and the rendering begins, CPU utilization jumps right up to 100% and stays there. This must be a clue..?

Does anyone know what this could be? As it stands, this system (purchased specifically for rendering animations) is currently slower than my older i9. I'm in a bit of a bind here with a large deadline looming.

Thanks so much for any help!

2019-11-09, 12:15:08
Reply #605

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Interesting. Since GI always take seconds, I never paid attention to it, but now I am curious so I'll try to benchmark it as well.

Could it be the memory controller for only half the cores ? The Numa? What is your energy profile in Windows?

Good to see you got HyperX stable for 3000 CL15, I tried that same kit on both Alpha and MEG and couldn't, it would always crash. It's on 2800 I think :- (
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2019-11-09, 13:40:45
Reply #606

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys
I'm planning to build a new pc 2990wx

have a question about SSD, what is a difference between these two?
WD_Black SN750 1TB NVMe   shorturl.at/hquI3
Samsung 960 PRO Series - 1TB PCIe NVMe shorturl.at/jouQW
if i get WD i will save 140$
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

also, I need help with the motherboard, Asus ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399 HEDT  but why so many reports about fail of MB on Amazone and NewEgg?
I'm from Georgia. Tbilisi and all parts I need to buy from US Amazon and main problem for me that if MB will have factory bug I can't resend it back to the US  :(  I need to find the most reliable board, i heard lot of good reviews about MEG X399 CREATION but i can't find it on Amazon.
« Last Edit: 2019-11-09, 14:15:56 by Michael Arch-Viz »

2019-11-09, 15:34:00
Reply #607

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Michael, why are you buying from Amazon US/Newegg ? And not Amazon.de ? Does it come out cheaper?

I haven't heard about poor reliability for ZenithAlpha and mine is without any issues. But like always, it is possible. MSI MEG has been flawless when it comes to hardware reliability.
Both boards have rather poor bios support and they are currently at the end of their respective lives.

Did you find a particularly good deal for 2990WX ? (Less then 1200 dollars/euros). Because if not, wait until 25th November and buy either Ryzen 3950X or the new 3960X/3970X Threadrippers. They are much better buy.

Regarding WD Black SN750 vs 960 Pro:

- Both of these are high-end PCI-e NVMe drives. Practical differences will be almost negligible and you will not see any performance difference if you use them as system drive.
- 960 Pro (and newer 970 Pro) use higher-end 2bit MLC cache which makes them theoretically longer lasting due to higher endurance (MLC is used in corporate-grade server SSDs mostly). In practice, it also means higher sustained speeds when transfering high amount of files. 960 will keep its full speed all the time, WD-Black will go to roughly 1TB/s (half-speed).
- But when it comes to system-drive performance, and general harddrive use, the most important metric is small files read/write (4K). This is absolutely identical between these drives.
- WD Black is market positioned against 960 EVO. I always suggest to go with EVO, or cheaper SSDs in general and buy higher-capacity. 2TB of cheaper SSD is much better than 1TB of higher-end one. PRO drives are largely waste of money.

2019-11-09, 16:25:25
Reply #608

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
why are you buying from Amazon US/Newegg? And not Amazon.de? Does it come out cheaper?
we don't have a company in Germany which is sending it to Georgia, but from the USA we have. when you buying amazon sending on a company address and after they sent in Georgia ( same like DHL ) and you know what is the biggest sh*t, all products which cost more than 100$ we need to pay 18% for government.

Did you find a particularly good deal for 2990WX? (Less then 1200 dollars/euros)
nop, only 1700$ + 18%(306$ for tax)

wait until 25th November and buy either Ryzen 3950X or the new 3960X/3970X Threadrippers. They are much better buy.
you are right, i will wait for  3970X

PRO drives are largely waste of money.
Thanks, Juraj for your help. 

2019-11-09, 23:42:18
Reply #609

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Interesting. Since GI always take seconds, I never paid attention to it, but now I am curious so I'll try to benchmark it as well.

Could it be the memory controller for only half the cores ? The Numa? What is your energy profile in Windows?

Good to see you got HyperX stable for 3000 CL15, I tried that same kit on both Alpha and MEG and couldn't, it would always crash. It's on 2800 I think :- (

I had performance issues running 3000mhz on the Aorus. Its default XMP profile for the kit i own so i had to change it to 2933 and difference was noticable.
It was like 10 500pt vs 11 400pt+ (stock). Afaik, 2990wx supports 2933. Everything above needs some fine tuning.

EDIT : Score with 3000 https://i.gyazo.com/4098c922680aeb71712958dd934560fb.png
« Last Edit: 2019-11-10, 00:00:20 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

2019-11-10, 10:48:01
Reply #610

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I did not miss on the fact memory multiplier on Zen ends at 2933 instead of 3000.

I wrote it on a very second page of this thread. The above sentence wasn't at face value.

.  I found Corsair Vengeance at 3000 Mhz (so 2933 manually running)

2019-11-10, 13:18:26
Reply #611

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Actually i wanted to quote Dfenton ^^

Does anyone know what this could be? As it stands, this system (purchased specifically for rendering animations) is currently slower than my older i9. I'm in a bit of a bind here with a large deadline looming.

Thanks so much for any help!

Are you talking about GI precomp or overall performance while comparing to i9 ?  You probably know it but animation UHD cache takes longer to calculate compared to normal "still image" cache. Maybe you was using normal uhd cache on i9 and comparing it to animation cache ?

I just tested some of my scenes and indeed, while precomputing GI, cpu utilization is around 41-46%.

EDIT : on Intel machine, 100% while precomputing GI. Weird.
« Last Edit: 2019-11-10, 13:50:10 by michaltimko »
Coronaut!(c)2011

2019-11-10, 18:27:53
Reply #612

Dfenton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you talking about GI precomp or overall performance while comparing to i9 ?  You probably know it but animation UHD cache takes longer to calculate compared to normal "still image" cache. Maybe you was using normal uhd cache on i9 and comparing it to animation cache ?

I just tested some of my scenes and indeed, while precomputing GI, cpu utilization is around 41-46%.

EDIT : on Intel machine, 100% while precomputing GI. Weird.

Ah, yes that's exactly it. I did a side-by-side comparison purely for animation GI calcs - set to calculate and save to file, and the i9 utilizes 100% and the Threadripper is exactly the same as you got. Interestingly again, if I do set the memory frequency to 2933 in the bios, utilization increases to a little over 55%.

Once onto the actual rendering though, the Threadripper is a constant 100% and gives very impressive performance.

-- Juraj, I've never noticed GI utilization before either, however now that I am calculating GI cache exclusively for a large number of scenes, I noticed it for the first time.

2019-11-11, 10:25:10
Reply #613

Fluss

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think CPU usage while rendering GI is more related to the number of core rather than the CPU brand. I observed the same behavior on my dual intel Xeon 2696 v4 (44 cores/88threads). It does not use every core available.

2019-11-12, 05:37:18
Reply #614

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj Talcik,

I wanted to ask you further on what you have said about buying EVO over PRO.  I was looking at the 970 PRO NVMe M.2 1TB, right now I am using a SATA Samsung SSD Pro 2TB.  I think it is a 850 Pro, might even be a lower model number than that. Not at the computer right now.  So my only choice to stick with 2TB is to get the EVO.  I am just a little nervous since I've had EVO's die in the past but the PRO's been rock solid.  Any thoughts on reliability of EVO vs PRO?