Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520277 times)

2018-10-09, 06:23:16
Reply #165

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wish I would know what's behind it. In practical terms, it's difference of 2 seconds versus 3 seconds (i9 7980XE vs 2990WX), but it can potentially hinder interactive performance. Surely doesn't feel that way but still.
We're talking daily builds so maybe it's tied to it but I don't have time to try regular build.

It reminds me how parsing on nodes (2698v4 Xeons) during Distributed rendering is much slower than when run directly from 3dsMax and it mostly seems because it barely uses available performance in multithreaded fashion.
The whole precomp phase is bottleneck, but more so on Threadripper than i9.

I bet you're right, that it's the RAM bottleneck.  That's why the bottleneck is ~2x as bad with 2x as many cores (1950x vs 2990wx).  Although the weird thing is I wouldn't think of UHD Cache as being memory intensive.  Displacement I could understand.  But this is just me rambling about things that I don't really have a grasp of.

2018-10-09, 10:24:17
Reply #166

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Will do another set of benchmarks in one or two months when : Dynamic mode will come to Ryzen master, Stable public bios available for MSI MEG, current poor Windows updates stabilize, with public version of Corona v3. Will do it at fixed x42 multiplier.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-10-09, 10:30:00
Reply #167

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Damn MSI, now that they learned how to actually design proper HEDT board with their alpha version AMD version, they come up with much improved Intel's counterpart.

Look how MSI MEG looks for x299 platform: Phases aren't in single long row, thus space for 4 dual-slot GPUs suddenly became available even for EATX without going EEB (yes the CPU socket size makes for difference too, but this could be designed around).
Dual 8-pin becomes tripple 8-pin, testament to how actually powerhungry the LGA2066 chips are.

I think i'll buy this to my i9 7980XE so it's more solid overclocker.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-announces-x299-meg-creation.html
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-10-09, 12:45:31
Reply #168

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Damn MSI, now that they learned how to actually design proper HEDT board with their alpha version AMD version, they come up with much improved Intel's counterpart.

Look how MSI MEG looks for x299 platform: Phases aren't in single long row, thus space for 4 dual-slot GPUs suddenly became available even for EATX without going EEB (yes the CPU socket size makes for difference too, but this could be designed around).
Dual 8-pin becomes tripple 8-pin, testament to how actually powerhungry the LGA2066 chips are.

I think i'll buy this to my i9 7980XE so it's more solid overclocker.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/msi-announces-x299-meg-creation.html

nice board indeed, and properly spreaded 4 PCI slots :)

I just started to run my leak tests.... I really like the cable management on 0-11 Air, all hidden in the back, and i can even throw and extra fan on the mobo backplate:) I used few sleeved cables too, for PCIe and 24pin mobo  because original cables from 1600w psu were too rigid..
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2018-10-09, 15:16:04
Reply #169

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I actually desperately tried to get few sleeved cables myself when I realized I almost can't bend properly the 24pin :- ).

Looks very good !!

2018-10-10, 09:47:52
Reply #170

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
I`m up and running. All smooth. After 8h testing/rendering, not a single blue screen / crash.

Booted right away, updated bios, no issues.

All 8 G.Skill sticks work fine on factory XMP profile, 128GB  at 2933. kit is F4-2933C14Q2-128GTZRX , timing  14-14-14-34 .

Performance wise, tested multiple PBO configs from 250 to 500, and i settled on 400/400/400 for now. With that i get good single core performance boosts to 4.1-4.2Ghz, and for multicore I get 5750 in cinebench.  Aorus VRM at this settings, after 1h rendering never peaked above 100C.(with extra fan on the backplate of the mobo)

Asus Hyper m.2 x16 works perfect on x399 too, With 2x2TB Samsung EVO 970, i get 6800MB/s read, and 5000MB/s write.  Raid needs to be setup in BIOS, 16 PCI slot set to 4/4/4/4 and AMD raid driver installed at windows installation.

V-ray bench - 24 seconds
Corona Bench - 36 seconds

Only issue with EKWB vardar fans, from 9 of them, 2 suck, one ignores PWM(maybe broken cable), and other one is noisy af. But damm, that orange/red heat looks good on them :) will return and replace.

2018-10-11, 14:24:17
Reply #171

Zray

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3darcspace studio
I`m up and running. All smooth. After 8h testing/rendering, not a single blue screen / crash.

Booted right away, updated bios, no issues.

All 8 G.Skill sticks work fine on factory XMP profile, 128GB  at 2933. kit is F4-2933C14Q2-128GTZRX , timing  14-14-14-34 .

Performance wise, tested multiple PBO configs from 250 to 500, and i settled on 400/400/400 for now. With that i get good single core performance boosts to 4.1-4.2Ghz, and for multicore I get 5750 in cinebench.  Aorus VRM at this settings, after 1h rendering never peaked above 100C.(with extra fan on the backplate of the mobo)

Asus Hyper m.2 x16 works perfect on x399 too, With 2x2TB Samsung EVO 970, i get 6800MB/s read, and 5000MB/s write.  Raid needs to be setup in BIOS, 16 PCI slot set to 4/4/4/4 and AMD raid driver installed at windows installation.

V-ray bench - 24 seconds
Corona Bench - 36 seconds

Only issue with EKWB vardar fans, from 9 of them, 2 suck, one ignores PWM(maybe broken cable), and other one is noisy af. But damm, that orange/red heat looks good on them :) will return and replace.

Great performance

2018-10-11, 21:23:19
Reply #172

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
I was doing some  more testing, and i found new sweet spot for my build. Running manual x 38 at 1.1 volt.

Scores 5870 in cinebench, eats only 290W max. That means i can run all fans on 30% speed, aka silence. 6h render run at this settings, stable, 56c max temp on CPU, and 92 on VRM.

2018-10-22, 15:18:19
Reply #173

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So my MSI MEG Creation board died last week (I'm in the nightmare process of trying to get it RMA'd by MSI).In the meantime, I need to replace it with another, preferably non-MSI board. Can anyone here recommend one? I was originally trying to avoid using the gen 1 motherboards with the 2990wx, but at the moment I think I'll go with the ASUS Zenith Extreme, so looking for real-world use cases as oppose to a review that uses it for a day or 2.
Oh, and if anyone who has the MEG wants to try their luck with BIOS v26, I was sent it as part of their tech supports efforts to get the board working. Couldn't tell you what it fixes or breaks, but if anyone wants to try it then do ask.
Cheers

2018-10-23, 13:20:32
Reply #174

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Sorry to hear that. What happen the the board btw? any indications?  Did you had it overclocked? I`m running Aorus Extreme, so far so good. Updated bios twice, all was fine, even Raid0 data stayed intact. Its ok board, but have it`s limits in VRM. I would not recommend overclocking it for 24/7 rendering use unless you can manage/mod the VRM cooling.  I`ve removed those "nice looking"  but useless plastic covers from VRM and i have 10 degree lower temps.  I added extra fan and got another 15 degrees lower temp. 25c difference that`s just crazy, and shows how stupid this LED/GAMING marketing is, creating rainbow looking board, rather then a functional one, just sad...

2018-10-23, 15:10:25
Reply #175

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Something to do with the BIOS itself -  it was always slow to boot up, about 15 minutes sometimes (which I initially put down to drivers, new platform, bios, something I'd built wrong) suddenly would take about an hour to get to POST , and that's if it even got that far - sometimes it would just power cycle endlessly. When it was working I had overclocked it for a bit to 3.7/3.8, but I'd mainly settled on upping the power cap to 400W and letting AMDs PBO do it for me. Ryzen Master would limit the CPU temps to about 68c, and it was boosting to an average 3.6. Was going to do some tweaking to the fans to get the temps down more when the motherboard finally died.
Handling the VRMs was what drew me to the MSI. They would get to about 75/80c under load, which I think was ok. But the bios for the MSI was terrible (no custom fan curves!!).
Crazy that you got such a drop in VRM temps from a few simple modifications. Did you add the fan direct to the motherboard (I think that's what the ASUS has done for gen2), or just to your case? I think EKWB has a few monoblocks for ASUS and Gigabyte motherboards, but I'm not sure how well they perform at cooling the VRM.
Such a shame really, because I was loving the actual performance of the chip - don't be put off anyone from buying one, just be aware that there are a few teething problems out there!

2018-10-23, 16:23:00
Reply #176

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So my MSI MEG Creation board died last week (I'm in the nightmare process of trying to get it RMA'd by MSI).In the meantime, I need to replace it with another, preferably non-MSI board. Can anyone here recommend one? I was originally trying to avoid using the gen 1 motherboards with the 2990wx, but at the moment I think I'll go with the ASUS Zenith Extreme, so looking for real-world use cases as oppose to a review that uses it for a day or 2.
Oh, and if anyone who has the MEG wants to try their luck with BIOS v26, I was sent it as part of their tech supports efforts to get the board working. Couldn't tell you what it fixes or breaks, but if anyone wants to try it then do ask.
Cheers

The MEG board has been out of stock everywhere in the UK for months now so I ended up going with the Zenith Extreme. I'm getting my system built at OCUK and the overclocker 8Pack will be tuning my system. From his testing he recommended the Zenith board over the MEG for 24/7 rendering use at 3.9/4ghz despite the VRM limitations. I'll see how it goes and update you guys when I get the system. I'll also have an extra 120mm Noctua fan pointed at the VRM's (using a custom bracket), just for extra peace of mind.
Vray who?

2018-10-23, 18:15:43
Reply #177

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
Sorry to jump into this post, theres some great info on this thread so I thought it's the best place to get some help with my new 2990wx build. I built my last pc 5 years ago so im a bit out of the loop. any sugestions/improvements would be greatly appreciated!

so far I have spec'd.

CPU-Threadripper 2990WX

MB-MSI MEG X399 CREATION EATX TR4 (although I just read theres some problems?)

Ram - I have spent a week looking through charts and i'm more confused than when i started (samsung B-dies only?) I may also add another 64gb in the future.

Corsair - Vengeance LED (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (CMU64GX4M4C3000C15)
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (CMK64GX4M4A2666C16)
Or if theres any better options that anyone has in there builds? I was looking at the G.Skill Trident Z RGB but its almost twice the price and has rgb...

Cpu Cooler- such a bad selection available but I dont trust my abilities to make a custom loop.
The best option seems to be Thermalright silver arrow TR4, although theres no reviews...and I can only seem to find it on this website
https://www.sotel.de does anyone know if its a legit site?

or theres these options...

Cooler Master Wraith Ripper
Deepcool Fryzen
Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3
Enermax - LIQTECH TR4 II 360 (so many bad reviews for build quality)

GPU- either a 1080ti or 2080, there around the same price so its a tricky one (I would like to play around with fstorm in the near future)

Drive- 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280

Case- Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV X GLASS

Psu- SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000W 80+ Titanium (would 1300W be better)

I have a few big projects starting soon so unfortunately I can't hold off on the build anymore. thanks!

2018-10-24, 00:18:20
Reply #178

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2018-10-24, 02:08:44
Reply #179

nerfherder

• Active Users
    • View Profile

The MEG board has been out of stock everywhere in the UK for months now so I ended up going with the Zenith Extreme. I'm getting my system built at OCUK and the overclocker 8Pack will be tuning my system. From his testing he recommended the Zenith board over the MEG for 24/7 rendering use at 3.9/4ghz despite the VRM limitations. I'll see how it goes and update you guys when I get the system. I'll also have an extra 120mm Noctua fan pointed at the VRM's (using a custom bracket), just for extra peace of mind.

My plan is to sell on the MEG when it returns from its RMA holiday (unless I'm feeling flush in which case I may just build another system with it). Ended up ordering the Zenith as it seems to manage its temps better than the Gigabyte. I could swap to a monoblock from EK to help cool the VRMs later down the line, but for now I'd rather just get something up and running quick and the RMA will take minimum 2 weeks. 

Sorry to jump into this post, theres some great info on this thread so I thought it's the best place to get some help with my new 2990wx build. I built my last pc 5 years ago so im a bit out of the loop. any sugestions/improvements would be greatly appreciated!

so far I have spec'd.

CPU-Threadripper 2990WX

MB-MSI MEG X399 CREATION EATX TR4 (although I just read theres some problems?)

Ram - I have spent a week looking through charts and i'm more confused than when i started (samsung B-dies only?) I may also add another 64gb in the future.

Corsair - Vengeance LED (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (CMU64GX4M4C3000C15)
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2666 Memory (CMK64GX4M4A2666C16)
Or if theres any better options that anyone has in there builds? I was looking at the G.Skill Trident Z RGB but its almost twice the price and has rgb...

Cpu Cooler- such a bad selection available but I dont trust my abilities to make a custom loop.
The best option seems to be Thermalright silver arrow TR4, although theres no reviews...and I can only seem to find it on this website
https://www.sotel.de does anyone know if its a legit site?

or theres these options...

Cooler Master Wraith Ripper
Deepcool Fryzen
Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3
Enermax - LIQTECH TR4 II 360 (so many bad reviews for build quality)

GPU- either a 1080ti or 2080, there around the same price so its a tricky one (I would like to play around with fstorm in the near future)

Drive- 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280

Case- Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV X GLASS

Psu- SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000W 80+ Titanium (would 1300W be better)

I have a few big projects starting soon so unfortunately I can't hold off on the build anymore. thanks!

That's pretty much the same build I had, and although I had a reliability issue with the MEG, and the public BIOS is crap (can't speak as to the quality of the latest BETA), if it's working for you it's still a good board (make sure you buy from a retailer with a good return policy - I bought from Newegg US and they wouldn't take it, but luckily MSI stepped up). One issue I had was using the Phantexs case (which I really like) meant it was a bit tight getting the case USB panel cable into the socket on the MEG. The case has sliding panels for cable management, but I ended up removing one of them and only just managed to squeeze the cable in due to the framework of the case there.
I went for the 1300w Seasonic too, although I'm not really sure if that was overkill or not and the 1000w might be fine (someone with more knowledge on that may be able to answer, but I had it in my head that 1000+ was the way to go).
Cooler options are an issue if you don't fancy custom water, but that Silver Arrow looks reasonable in that review. Tracking some of these coolers down was a problem for me (which also drove me to try custom).